GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

EPC light on occasion but now CEL too

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Ive had the NPM on for about 2k miles now, maybe more. Within the last month, under real hard accel, the EPC light has come on a handful of times. Doesn't happen every time but seems to occur from dead stops; no im not drag racing. Figured it was due to heat b/c its been super hot and humid here lately.

today on the way to work, under minimal accel, it turned on which was very surprising. especially since its a very mild day today. when it was safe to do so, i power cycled the car and it went away as usual. However, at the next stop light, it came back again this time with a CEL.

Here is what I got from OBD11 (for some reason, i cant access live data so i cant monitor anything with it though, it says "something went wrong")

Turbocharger Boost sensor (A)
P023600

Manifold abs pressure
P010600

Im obviously going to take of the NPM and see what happens but has anyone else run into this? could it be a simple vacuum issue?

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Those codes seem to indicate that the MAP sensor is not getting the right readings, almost like there is a loose wire. The MAP sensor wire needs to be disconnected and spliced into for installing the NPM, so I would check to see if those connectors have come loose. If it's not loose then it is likely a problem with the NPM and I would check to see if you can get it warrantied.

Last edited:

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
it didnt need to be spliced into per se... just had to be unplugged and reconnected to the module... no cables were cut upon install...

but good call checking all the connections... will certainly do

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
it didnt need to be spliced into per se... just had to be unplugged and reconnected to the module... no cables were cut upon install...

but good call checking all the connections... will certainly do

Yea, I was trying to think of the best way of wording that, and splicing is technically right? Either way you get the point.

zmaster

I've had similar problems, too. I've had the NPM on for over 20k miles. But in the past 5k miles, when I am on boost for over 10 seconds, the EPC light comes on. After I turn off the engine and restart, the EPC goes away.

I'm not sure what the issue is either. Any luck with you?
I have uninstalled and reinstalled the NPM a few times now. I may need to check the connections.