GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

I kinda want a Passat R line

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
It's still a big debate and I'd ideally keep my mk7 and add the R line. Only thing I might miss is car play but it doesn't work all of them time anyway

The R-line has Car Play

It's not a bad car AT ALL...especially for the money. Someone just posted that they were looking at a new R-line on Vortex and were offered $6500 off MSRP....if it had Lighting Package, that makes it roughly just under $20k + taxes & whatever

If you just want it for hauling kids & groceries...plenty of room with decent gas mileage, while looking sharp.

You DEFINITELY want the lighting package though. The halogen headlights are terrible, plus the (brighter) LED head & tail lights look waaaay better

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I'd be buying used, I've bought three new VW in the last 6 years and need to stop taking the initial hit.

The main thing is talking the wife into it. I can pick up a fairly new Passat for 16-18k which would be cheaper than her big terrible Kia...plus not a lease so we'd have it in the end

stillwellm10

Ready to race!
This is true, but it's kinda funny, because I remember when Halogen bulbs came in and were the big thing of the time. Made traditional headlights look dim and nearly unusable.

Yeah I couldn't agree more with you. It actually tilts me seeing 50K+ Benz or BMW's without the lighting package. What's another grand on top really going to do to your wallet. In general seeing a German car without them has me shaking my head at the owners. Maybe it's just me, but my dads MKV GTI came standard with them and I knew when I got older I wanted a VW and it was a must to have the LP. Visibility and just overall luxury from the front end is top notch. I don't think I would ever buy another car without HID's. Enough with my rant as its gotten off topic from the thread of getting rid of a POS Kia to get the Passat for the wife's car.

takemorepills

Ready to race!
I have driven a few new Passats within the last year. None were an R-Line, BUT, I couldn't help but think how much better the Accord and Camry are than the Passat. To me, the Passat seemed to split the difference between the Accord and Camry, but not in a good way. It seemed to embody the worst attributes of those 2 cars. I would think someone looking for a "sporty" sedan would be far far better off with an Accord, while the Camry would be the choice for comfort/snoozefest.

The Passat (and the Jettas I have driven) shocked me, because up until recently I have only driven my Mk7 GTI, which is a fantastic car. I expected the Passat/Jetta to be sedan versions of my GTI, but they were horrible cars in general. They feel very cheap, anemic and lifeless. I have driven newer Camry and 2015 4 cyl Accord and (2013?) Hybrid Accord and all of those cars felt much more substantial.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I don't think anyone has ever said the (NMS) Passat is meant to be a "sporty"/sports sedan.

The B6 Passat was higher end/more expensive and then for the B7/NMS Passat....they shifted production here & "Americanized" it (made it bigger/cheaper) to be competitive with the "lifeless" Camry and Accords that people supposedly love and buy up (and the Fusion, Malibu, etc.)

It's a little soul less, I agree, but it's not a bad car for the money. Lots of room & good gas mileage, with decent materials.

Now the Jetta....that's definitely a turd in comparison

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I'm in no way intending for the Passat to be sporty, that's why I have a gti. I just want it because I'm a Volkswagen guy (I've owned 16 of them and I 26) and it's a big family car that gets good mileage

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
As for the lighting package I'm glad all of you are so impressed with it but I couldn't care less. I work night shift so most of the year it's dark for both legs of my commute and the halogens have always been fine for me.

Yes I've driven Golf R and gti with LP, no I don't feel it's a necessity

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
Ahh Jake...I almost lost all respect for you, until I realized you were keeping the GTI. Lol

Oh, and your thread title made me think of this...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk