GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Safe soaps for your ceramic coating.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
Hey guys,

Looking for those who have a vehicle with a ceramic coating, and utilize a "foam" device. Since getting a coating I can no longer use my go-to snow foam, Chemical Guys Honeydew, as it contains gloss enhancers. Big no-no for coatings. I use CarPro Reset in my soap bucket, but it has a weak foam game. I am looking for an alternative and curious what others use. Only snow foam alternative I have found is Bilt Hamber Auto Foam, but it seems to perform poorly unless you have a lance or foam cannon, I have a blaster, the kind you use with a garden hose. Since getting a coating, owning a pressure washer has more meaning, so a lance may be in my future anyhow. But I have only had the foam blaster for a year now, and would like to get some more use out of it.

Taking suggestions for coating safe snow foams. I am planning on getting a list together. If possible, I may acquire some soaps and send them to the lab my work sends oil and coolant samples too. Get the full make-up of them to see what is really in them. Sounds a bit excessive, but I'm a bit excessive when it comes to exterior care. :D

For starters, I may pick up Meguire's Gold Class to try in my foam blaster. It isn't a snow foam, but it's coating safe and cheap. May be worth a shot. I remember years ago it worked well. Cheers and thanks. Happy washing guys.

Jersey UG MKV

Plastidipping Fool
I can get a decent foam with Reset and gyeon Bathe. Your issue is using a hose gun. They don't create good foam. I also use Adams and get good foam out of that too.

Billy Baldone1

Ready to race!
I have used Meg's D111 shampoo plus with no issues on any coated cars I have done. My cars have been coated for 3 years plus. I use it on all of my customer cars that are coated too. You are over thinking this. Excessive abrading on your coating will cause it weaken. A quality soap with a lot of lubricity in it, will help you. Even quick Detailers with carnuba in them don't hurt the actual coating, it will just mess with the hydrophobic properties a bit.

TroyScherer

Ready to race!
Hey guys,

Looking for those who have a vehicle with a ceramic coating, and utilize a "foam" device. Since getting a coating I can no longer use my go-to snow foam, Chemical Guys Honeydew, as it contains gloss enhancers. Big no-no for coatings. I use CarPro Reset in my soap bucket, but it has a weak foam game. I am looking for an alternative and curious what others use. Only snow foam alternative I have found is Bilt Hamber Auto Foam, but it seems to perform poorly unless you have a lance or foam cannon, I have a blaster, the kind you use with a garden hose. Since getting a coating, owning a pressure washer has more meaning, so a lance may be in my future anyhow. But I have only had the foam blaster for a year now, and would like to get some more use out of it.

Taking suggestions for coating safe snow foams. I am planning on getting a list together. If possible, I may acquire some soaps and send them to the lab my work sends oil and coolant samples too. Get the full make-up of them to see what is really in them. Sounds a bit excessive, but I'm a bit excessive when it comes to exterior care. :D

For starters, I may pick up Meguire's Gold Class to try in my foam blaster. It isn't a snow foam, but it's coating safe and cheap. May be worth a shot. I remember years ago it worked well. Cheers and thanks. Happy washing guys.

Credentials: I have cars that I have applied, OptiCoat, Cquartz reg, Cquartz UK, Opti GlossCoat, and a few other coatings I have played with.

As a detail guy first I have a foam gun and a cannon. Gun = hose, Cannon = pressure washer. After a lot of testing and having to deal with the fact I bought both tools, I have come to the realization that neither one with foam really does any better cleaning than a straight hose or pressure washer. Soap and foam needs agitation for it to work and really the foam is only for lubrication. So normally now I don't use either as it's just extra stuff to get out and put away. But I will say they IMO the foam gun is better as a wet foam solution helps to break down and lubricate better than a cannons dry foam.

While the CG HDSF might have some gloss enhancers, they are minor at best and will not really effect your coating. I used a a 16oz bottle.

Meg's gold class has some stuff in it and does leave behind siomething. I have used a few gallons in the past.

If you are concerned though and want to stick with CG then Citrus wash & clear is a good option. Another one I really like is Meg's Hyperwash. Great for bucket and Foamer wash. But only avalible in 1gal size.

My thoughts and review of Meg's Hyperwash: http://www.autopia.org/forums/detai...eview-meguiar-d110-hyper-wash.html?highlight=

Mr Pink: http://www.autopia.org/forums/detai...uct-review-chemical-guys-pink.html?highlight=

I also like and use ONR a lot. And I have had zero issues with it.

Last edited:

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
I can get a decent foam with Reset and gyeon Bathe. Your issue is using a hose gun. They don't create good foam. I also use Adams and get good foam out of that too.
I know it foams much better with a foam cannon, I do not have an outlet at my apartment's wash facility however. I was in search of a "snow foam" or "auto foam" that does foam well and pull dirt away well with a blaster. If it doesn't exist, so be it.

Using CG honeydew in the past out of a cannon when I could use one, I was happy with the way in which it loosened debris from the front end especially. Lived in the sticks, lots of bugs. Reset out of the foam gun doesn't come close to the loosening the debris to the same degree. Either because of the amount of cleaning power it has, lack of foam from a blaster, or pressure in which it is being applied at. All of the above could be a factor, yes.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
I have used Meg's D111 shampoo plus with no issues on any coated cars I have done. My cars have been coated for 3 years plus. I use it on all of my customer cars that are coated too. You are over thinking this. Excessive abrading on your coating will cause it weaken. A quality soap with a lot of lubricity in it, will help you. Even quick Detailers with carnuba in them don't hurt the actual coating, it will just mess with the hydrophobic properties a bit.
Well aware of this. I have gone well beyond most to avoid "excessive abrading" on my clear coats over the years. It's just that the installer tells me to avoid gloss enhancers and silicons, I gotta believe him. So as not to muddy the waters, I am going to be sticking with the protocol of the shop that honors my coatings warranty lol.

I'm sure something as gentle as carnuba wax certainly wouldn't hurt the coating, but I wouldn't put a wax on my personal car. I have been avoiding fillers and waxes for some time now. Quick detailer of choice for me is ONR @ 1:15.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion

Credentials: I have cars that I have applied, OptiCoat, Cquartz reg, Cquartz UK, Opti GlossCoat, and a few other coatings I have played with.

As a detail guy first I have a foam gun and a cannon. Gun = hose, Cannon = pressure washer. After a lot of testing and having to deal with the fact I bought both tools, I have come to the realization that neither one with foam really does any better cleaning than a straight hose or pressure washer. Soap and foam needs agitation for it to work and really the foam is only for lubrication. So normally now I don't use either as it's just extra stuff to get out and put away. But I will say they IMO the foam gun is better as a wet foam solution helps to break down and lubricate better than a cannons dry foam.

While the CG HDSF might have some gloss enhancers, they are minor at best and will not really effect your coating. I used a a 16oz bottle.

Meg's gold class has some stuff in it and does leave behind siomething. I have used a few gallons in the past.

If you are concerned though and want to stick with CG then Citrus wash & clear is a good option. Another one I really like is Meg's Hyperwash. Great for bucket and Foamer wash. But only avalible in 1gal size.

My thoughts and review of Meg's Hyperwash: http://www.autopia.org/forums/detai...eview-meguiar-d110-hyper-wash.html?highlight=

Mr Pink: http://www.autopia.org/forums/detai...uct-review-chemical-guys-pink.html?highlight=

I also like and use ONR a lot. And I have had zero issues with it.

Thanks for the suggestions and telling of your experiences.

I will say the lubricity on the car the foam gun leaves is nice, as I like to foam each side before going in with the mitt.

I will be picking up some hyper wash after speaking to another gentlemen in the field over the weekend. Seems like many pros like it as it leaves no residue of any kind. Right now the Reset is working great in my bucket, but I can't help but notice the change in rinsing abilities from CG HDSF to Reset in my foam gun. More so on the rear of the vehicle where all the build up sits, and front(when there is bugs).

Overall after the wash though, there is no difference in results. So does it matter, probably not. Am I going to try other soaps still, yes. Lol.

ONR is a great product. Speaking of which, have you used Optimum's car wash at all?

TroyScherer

Ready to race!
Overall after the wash though, there is no difference in results. So does it matter, probably not. Am I going to try other soaps still, yes. Lol.

ONR is a great product. Speaking of which, have you used Optimum's car wash at all?

Some guys go after collecting waxes / sealants. I found quickly that I am a car wash guy since I can try new or different ones on a regular basis. So I have tried a lot and have some thoughts good or bad on some.

I am on my 2nd 32oz bottle now. While I do like it, I have found that the foam tends to cling more to the surfaces making it a little harder to rinse off. The clinging effect does help though in adding some lubrication to the surface if you foam gun and then wash each panel. I bought a 2nd bottle after trying the 1st a few years ago and wondering if using it on coated car would make a difference. Having a coated car does help but it still clings a little more than I care for when trying to rinse it clean.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion

Some guys go after collecting waxes / sealants. I found quickly that I am a car wash guy since I can try new or different ones on a regular basis. So I have tried a lot and have some thoughts good or bad on some.

I am on my 2nd 32oz bottle now. While I do like it, I have found that the foam tends to cling more to the surfaces making it a little harder to rinse off. The clinging effect does help though in adding some lubrication to the surface if you foam gun and then wash each panel. I bought a 2nd bottle after trying the 1st a few years ago and wondering if using it on coated car would make a difference. Having a coated car does help but it still clings a little more than I care for when trying to rinse it clean.

Thanks for the feedback! Good info.

rr1santos

Ready to race!
onr = optimum no rinse correct?

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
onr = optimum no rinse correct?
Until I can think of something that describes it's capabilities using the same acronym, yes, that's what it means! Lol.

Good stuff. i was even adding some to my wash bucket pre-coating, then I switched to CarPro Reset and I noticed that adding ONR to the bucket with Reset hurt my suds really bad. Thought it was the Reset, it wasn't. I still use it everywhere at some point though. Cheap. Effective.

wlfpck

Ready to race!
I've heard good things about Ammo NYC stuff. I haven't tried it out as I usually use Chemical guys.

If you're car is opti-coated or something similar, you should be fine with any car wash soap. Just be careful and use the 2 bucket method with Grit Guards.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
I've heard good things about Ammo NYC stuff. I haven't tried it out as I usually use Chemical guys.

If you're car is opti-coated or something similar, you should be fine with any car wash soap. Just be careful and use the 2 bucket method with Grit Guards.
AMMO products are great, at least the two that I have used so far. Brute wheel coap(coating friendly) and Winter Boost.

Larry sent me an email the other day thanking me for my purchases, and asked if there was any future video recommendations I had. I told him some more VW's would be nice :p Lol. I'm so petty.