GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Out with the old (M4), in with the new (GTI)

lotech

Passed Driver's Ed
You’re not going to get much love on here with that trade. A 2015+ m3/m4 is out of reach for most people driving a Volkswagen. I made the same trade except i had a m3 and i must say unless you’re actually tracking the bmw the gti is a great low cost alternative. Its nice being fast and staying low profile at the sams time. I suggest going apr stg 1 asap. You’ll be glad you did. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chiefhiawatha

Ready to race!
I can probably afford a base 911 but I’m still thinking of a GTI. The 335 may have a smoother engine, but my 335 is not fun to drive. It’s AWD, heavy, understeers so much, runs on RFTs, it’s not a manual, did not get it with the Dynamic Handling Package, putting up with BMW snobbery. Basically, it drives like a V6 Camry but costs twice as much.

Read every long term review updates by car mag people and the message is the same across the board. The GTI is what they wish they had in their garage. These are people who test BMWs and Porsches every other month but would own a GTI. The GTI is great for so many reasons. You can call it a cheap econobox but it’s much more than that.

I had a 2006 325 ix wagon. Great sounding engine but I always thought man this isn’t as fun as I expected and that the 2003 A4 1.8t wagon I had was lots better in snow. Same model of tires.

carchrism5

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
I am trying to make sense out of this statement.

I think he was saying that many people are not going to receive this well and say "why would you get rid of an M4 for a GTI" because many people on here cannot afford an M4 and think that if they could afford an M4 they would never buy a GTI, therefore they don't understand. However I think that many people do understand, there are other things in life besides cars and while someone could afford a much more expensive car than a GTI, certainly doesn't mean they should get it. I think the fact that he is excited to have the GTI and doesn't see it as really settling, speaks a lot to the GTI.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I got a new car for my wife. Best. Trade. Ever!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I doubt Mrs Mud is worth that much......:(

but we both have lot's of miles on us.

Poor impulse control.

OP nice rides, enjoy the new one but the old one looks better. Time will tell which one is better

SpaceGhost

Ready to race!
I wouldn't consider the GTI a "cheap fwd econobox". The definition of econobox is "a small, boxy, fuel-efficient economy car with few luxuries and a low sticker price." For one, its not that cheap compared to other hatchbacks out there. Secondly, its MPGs really aren't that great (from what is listed on the window sticker, have only put 50 miles on it so far, so don't have personal experience yet). And lastly, I find the GTI SE to have a pretty luxurious interior for the price, better than a lot of the other cars I was looking at.

Sure, it doesn't compete luxury/performance wise with my M4, but the MSRP is only $33k and my M4 was $84k.

Is a golf an econobox? So it's a slightly upgraded econobox. If you are comparing it to the competition which is something like a focus st or a veloster turbo then it's great. Best in class but the class is econobox class

CosmosMpower

Ready to race!
You traded in an m4 for a GTI? I bet you won’t be happy for long

Meh completely different cars for different purposes. I have a F80 M3 and a F87 M2 as well as a 997 GT3 and am currently in the market for a MK7 GTI to daily drive. I had fun with the GTI on the test drive, it's a small, light engaging car.

Congrats to the OP on the new car and being in a better spot financially.

mattd502

Ready to race!
Is a golf an econobox? So it's a slightly upgraded econobox. If you are comparing it to the competition which is something like a focus st or a veloster turbo then it's great. Best in class but the class is econobox class

I'm now starting to have the hardest time determining if you're trolling or you just don't know how to appreciate anything you have in life. My dad own's a 16 Challenger Hellcat and loves my GTI, he 100% considers it a performance car albeit on the lower end of the spectrum (hot hatches) but a performance car none the less and he had an absolute blast getting to drive when I brought it over to show to him. My uncle dailies a 14 7 series BMW and his weekend toy is a Ferrari 360, he still insists that his mk1 Rabbit Gti he had when he was 20 years old was the greatest car he has ever owned and thinks my Gti is super cool, whenever I see him out at family dinners he's always asking me what new stuff I've done to mine or plan on doing.
The Gti sure as shit isn't on the same lever of performance as an m4 but for the price it's not half bad and if you're not afraid to drive the thing you can have just as much fun whipping around in this "econobox" as you can in a Ferrari as long as you're not obsessed with turning heads, street cred, or impressing people you've never met.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
I'm now starting to have the hardest time determining if you're trolling or you just don't know how to appreciate anything you have in life. My dad own's a 16 Challenger Hellcat and loves my GTI, he 100% considers it a performance car albeit on the lower end of the spectrum (hot hatches) but a performance car none the less and he had an absolute blast getting to drive when I brought it over to show to him. My uncle dailies a 14 7 series BMW and his weekend toy is a Ferrari 360, he still insists that his mk1 Rabbit Gti he had when he was 20 years old was the greatest car he has ever owned and thinks my Gti is super cool, whenever I see him out at family dinners he's always asking me what new stuff I've done to mine or plan on doing.
The Gti sure as shit isn't on the same lever of performance as an m4 but for the price it's not half bad and if you're not afraid to drive the thing you can have just as much fun whipping around in this "econobox" as you can in a Ferrari as long as you're not obsessed with turning heads, street cred, or impressing people you've never met.

Great point, hot hatches aren't econoboxes. Pretty sure he is trolling though, so pay him no mind.

Rummy

Not sure I would qualify a GTI as an "econobox." It's designed to be a performance car. Thats apprent in handling and acceleration, not to mention pedigree. A GTI is just as fun to drive as any sporty (or pure sports) car, but in different ways.

A Kia Soul is an econobox. A Ford Focus (non-ST) is an econobox. A Nissan Sentra is an econobox. So is a Chevy Cruze.

A GTI? I think not.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

CosmosMpower

Ready to race!
Not sure I would qualify a GTI as an "econobox." It's designed to be a performance car. Thats apprent in handling and acceleration, not to mention pedigree. A GTI is just as fun to drive as any sporty (or pure sports) car, but in different ways.

A Kia Soul is an econobox. A Ford Focus (non-ST) is an econobox. A Nissan Sentra is an econobox. So is a Chevy Cruze.

A GTI? I think not.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

GTI is based on a golf which I would argue is an econobox.

mattd502

Ready to race!
GTI is based on a golf which I would argue is an econobox.

Golf is an econobox, but saying since the Golf is an econobox so is the GTI is like saying the Subaru WRX and the Subaru Impreza are basically the same which they obviously aren't. The only big difference is the WRX is much more in your face about it's performance compared the GTI.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Space Ghost definitely a troll.

He sounds almost exactly like someone else who's constantly negative about the platform....Aldysomething...