GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Adaptive Headlight Error - Help please?

photobyvito

Passed Driver's Ed
Hello everyone,

Ive turned in my mk6 for the mk7 and love it.

However, today (car only has 100mi) I received a MFD error message announcing "Error! Adaptive Headlamp lighting" which causes the adaptive headlights to not swivel.

Upon startup the headlights will do their auto level dance and also swivel (be adaptive) for a few hundred yards until the Error! message appears.

Having parked and restarted a few times, the same process happens. And in case this is questioned: All lights are lit (not burnt out.)

Quite confused on whats causing this especially with the vehicle being so new.

Any help out there guys/gals?

Heresy

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2007 GTI
I responded on Vortex, as well, but your error may be like mine. I got the same error shortly after I got my car. Apparently, one of the cornering lights had not been properly attached at the factory and had worked its way loose. The dealer reaffixed the light, the error went away and no issues since.

photobyvito

Passed Driver's Ed
I responded on Vortex, as well, but your error may be like mine. I got the same error shortly after I got my car. Apparently, one of the cornering lights had not been properly attached at the factory and had worked its way loose. The dealer reaffixed the light, the error went away and no issues since.

Thats interesting, thanks for the help! I will be checking that tomorrow and taking it to the dealership.

DW58

Go Kart Champion
Warranty - take it back!

mukuljuria

Ready to race!
I had the same issue, the cornering light was fused. Just changing the cornering bulb fixed it.

Try this - Park, and as you start the car, put it in reverse.

Make sure its dark and you have some sort of wall on either side. When put in reverse, the cornering lights turn on on both sides to illuminate the path. Just keep a watch, one of them should go off and then the warning comes on.

If this happens, you probably have a loose cornering bulb or one that is fused. Worth trying as if thats the problem, a dealer visit will be quite pointless and you can just twist it back in place yourself.

photobyvito

Passed Driver's Ed
Result of dealership inspection was a burnt out front turn signal bulb.

A heads up for anyone getting an AFS mfd error: any front headlight bulb can be out and trip this error.

Assume all is fixed, as it is still daylight, and the adaptive capabilities will be tested properly this evening. If no update to post is made then all is well.

Cheers :beer:

Slickjay007

Hi all,

I replaced the bulbs as suggested in the forum but still my AFS warning light comes on. Do you perhaps have to reset it somewhere?

Once replacing the bulbs is there a specific procedure? I've noticed that after changing the bulbs my left hand side light still does not come on. Could there be a more serious fault in the system that just a bulb change?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
This just happened to me this evening. Will reseat the bulb tomorrow. Static cornering, driver side.

I had installed some Philips (forget the model) bulbs about a year ago, and rarely drive at night. So I’m kind of surprised that I may have a dead bulb already. Can always swap a stock bulb back in to test.

Any suggestions on static cornering bulbs? I may be looking for a new set already.

B00STED1

Ready to race!
Funny that this was mentioned. I got a similar AFS error about two weeks ago and it turned out to be a fault code in the module. Warranty replaced and good as new in my situation.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
What were the symptoms? Which bulbs were not working?

I have Philips White Vision bulbs installed currently. Based on recommendations from forum members. This was almost 2 years ago though, looking back at old emails.

Thinking about switching to Sylvania SilverStar ZXEs. Because, well they’re available via Amazon Prime. [emoji1303]

nype

Drag Racing Champion
I have vcds and don’t need it to tell me that the driver side cornering bulb isn’t working.

Too bad the MIB message isn’t more specific (which front bulb is out?). I suppose it’s because there isn’t dedicated “leuchte” channels for these bulbs.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Funny that this was mentioned. I got a similar AFS error about two weeks ago and it turned out to be a fault code in the module. Warranty replaced and good as new in my situation.

I had two similar errors (Daytime Running Light error and Adaptive Headlight error) and condensation inside the headlight assembly last month. Dealer replaced headlight assembly and module under warranty.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks. No condensation here, thankfully.

Swapped in a stock bulb. All good. As expected.

Too bad these Philips White Vision bulbs did not live up to their “450 hour” claim. 2 years as static cornering bulbs is obviously nowhere near that.

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra
"AFS error"

Both mine cornering OEM h7 bulbs has ended within 2 months after just 3 years use. Very odd message in the display which made me confused. Didn’t think repair was so easy…:D.

I expected them to last at least 10 years since they almost never are active. Perhaps the problem is that they are off/on all the time during dark season.

I have had Philips extreme vision in another car, lasted as long as expected.

/Peter