GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI OEM Noble to 235/40/18 Michelin A/S 3+ on Austin

hobbyjumper

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 GTI APR Stage-II
Hi all,

I am just posting on information for any future GTI owners.

I did research here, and found Austin wheels are more like 7.75 opposed to 7.5. I wanted better tires, because I added JB4, and my wheels had no traction on first and 2nd gear at times. I also didn't feel all that confident on the road.

I have NEVER used non OEM tires in my life because I never end up owning a car more than 25K miles.. (MERICA!!!)

I decided this was the time to do so, to do leap of faith and listen!! I decided on tire rack Michelin A/S 3 + because it was the second best tire before the Super Sport 4s.
I also wanted more wheel height for potholes, and wider tires for traction and braking.

BOY OH BOY

I'm mother fucking blown away. Shit I spent 850 total for a set and install. WOW only 200 miles driven and I can't believe the difference. I felt it immediately driving off the tire shop! No more spin on 2nd gear, and minimal to moderate on 30F(cold) first gear. Turning is a little more firm but not noticeable.

To finish, I want to say, tires are the best investment maximize car performance, handling, and braking. NOW I feel so much more confident braking. It stops quicker.

What are your thoughts?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I have NEVER used non OEM tires in my life because I never end up owning a car more than 25K miles.. (MERICA!!!)

I decided this was the time to do so, to do leap of faith and listen!! I decided on tire rack Michelin A/S 3 + because it was the second best tire before the Super Sport 4s.
I also wanted more wheel height for potholes, and wider tires for traction and braking.

BOY OH BOY

I'm mother fucking blown away. Shit I spent 850 total for a set and install. WOW only 200 miles driven and I can't believe the difference. I felt it immediately driving off the tire shop! No more spin on 2nd gear, and minimal to moderate on 30F(cold) first gear. Turning is a little more firm but not noticeable.

To finish, I want to say, tires are the best investment maximize car performance, handling, and braking. NOW I feel so much more confident braking. It stops quicker.

First mod many people do here is swapping the OEM tires for some better tires and the difference is huge. VW should look into equipping better stock tires, especially on their "performance hatch".

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
First mod many people do here is swapping the OEM tires for some better tires and the difference is huge. VW should look into equipping better stock tires, especially on their "performance hatch".

Then they'd get complaints from idiots, whining about how their tires wore out too fast (e.g. every person who ever bought a BMW with the sport package, back when that used to include summer tires).

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Then they'd get complaints from idiots, whining about how their tires wore out too fast (e.g. every person who ever bought a BMW with the sport package, back when that used to include summer tires).

There are several options available in all seasons as well, i was talking about that.

On a side note, 2018 GTIs can be specced out with summer tires. Maybe VW listened to our cries.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
There are several options available in all seasons as well, i was talking about that.

On a side note, 2018 GTIs can be specced out with summer tires. Maybe VW listened to our cries.

I was expecting mine to come with performance tires, what with it being called a Sport and all. Imagine my surprise...

hobbyjumper

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 GTI APR Stage-II
I got the all season tires because I live in NJ..I have no room to store additional car stuff.

Also I made this post because I couldn't find anyone who had 235 width opposed to 225 using stock Austin wheels
Works pretty well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

IceBerg4k1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I did the exact same tires in the exact same size on the stock wheels a couple months ago. I absolutely love them.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
It's always been an option, at no cost, actually.
It's just doubtful that the dealers will order them though.

Wonder if anyone here ordered their vehicle with summer tires from the factory. If so what tires where equipped and how comparable where they with aftermarket summer tires.

pitterchi

Ready to race!
I got the A/S 3+ also. Do you notice a much louder tire whine around 75mph?

I would love to get confirmation that other people are getting this too and not just me :)

fretburnr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Wonder if anyone here ordered their vehicle with summer tires from the factory. If so what tires where equipped and how comparable where they with aftermarket summer tires.

The original equipment summer tire is a Bridgestone Potenza S001. I don't have them, so can't compare.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
Currently saving up for the same exact tire to put on my new 18x8 Neuspeed wheels. The Conti "TX" that came on my car ride nice but holy crap they have no grip compared to the previous procontact (non-tx) tires I've had on Golfs.

vbrad26

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'15 CSG GTI 2DR M/T
I have been considering these in addition to the Conti. Extreme Contact DWS06 and the BFGoodrich Comp - 2 A/S.

The AS 3+ are the most expensive of the these 3 by almost $100. I would really like to see how someone would compare the Conti.'s to the Michelin's.

I thought the P-Zero all seasons that came stock on my MK6 were bad but the Bridgestone all seasons that came with my MK7 are complete garbage.