GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

At this point why not wait for a 2019

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Depends on what you’re driving now, nobody’s hinted at any drastic changes for ‘19 and the 6mt is always on the chopping block state side. Not that they’ve said anything about that either but they didn’t give warning before the GLI lost its man pedal

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
VW might no bring in the 2019s before they sell out their 2018 inventory, which is sitting in the ports right now. If you are in no hurry for the new R, why not wait for the 2019s. But the question would be this - Will the 2019 Rs be here in sep?

FLcarguy

I drive a 2016 Escalade but I miss driving my 2010 GTI that I gave to my 16 year old son. Wifey says why not get the new baby TSLA for the same price... she does have a point..
Yeah of course it would be worth waiting for a 19 if we knew it would be delivered in the fall

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
The mk7.5 facelift was released in 2016 in Europe, 2018 in the US. There's little chance we'll see the mk8 in 2019 in the US, and even a chance we won't have a mk8 R until late 2020 or even 2021.

KlipZ

Ready to race!
I doubt the MY19 models will release in fall this year seeing as we are still waiting to see MY18 models. Wishful thinking, but not likely.

KlipZ

Ready to race!
f-that. I'm holding out for teleportation portals.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
D...bag comments Guess I wont be on this board much clowns

I think folks are just having some fun, and venting some frustration. The 2018 models have been sitting around at ports in Florida, according to some reports, for months now, with dealers not having squat on the lot. And the VW site has, up until recently at least, still been allowing you to build a 2016 model, but had nada about 2018s.

So, folks are a bit bitter about VWs attention to the desires of the R community in general. I think the takeaway for your question, though, is that it's probably not worth waiting for a 2019. The changes between the 2017 and 2018 models are enough that it's unlikely the 2019s will show any significant gains or improvements.