GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clunk noises coming from Front of the car after lowering it with springs

Jens_mk7

I just got neuspeed Racing springs on mk7. So the drop is about 1.6” after a little over a month the car keeps making a clunk noise as if something is loose or broken when going over bumps at like 8-15 mph dips or bumps ..it sounds really bad. I took it to the place where I got my springs installed and they said everything was installed correctly that it could be the struts. My car has 47,000 miles right now ..but my concern is ..will replacing the struts/shocks make the noise go away or is it just the strut mount? It only does it when I go on driveways .. a squealing/popping noise and when going over dips, bumps or uneven road the crack and pop noise appears. It’s not fun to drive the car anymore trying to avoid every imperfection on the road . Also when turning the car at full lock it makes a pop noise. can anyone help me out ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
This is the one millionth post about this, not sure what your prize will be, but did you try searching the forum?

99% they used an impact on your strut mounts and they're not properly torqued

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
If your struts were blown it would blow through the stroke on highspeed impacts (like big dips in the road) and bottom out. The overall feel would be bouncy and over sprung

lokerola

Ready to race!
Sorry to hear that. I had Emmanuel Design springs and ECS heavy duty mounts and bearings installed and I had the same issues. I had the shop check everything, and reinstall everything again - same problems.

I then ripped it all out and put in Driver Gear springs with stock mounts and stock bearings. The sound is 99.99% gone (I've heard one little squeak, once). I've had the DG springs on for months now, and I'm very happy with them. I hesitate to think my issue was with the ED springs; I think it was the ECS mounts and bearings.

Did you put in aftermarket mounts and bearings? If not, you may need to have them replaced with stock ones, or have someone else check the installation. I am not a tech, so this is just my experience, not a professional evaluation.

I know this is all terribly expensive as the labor costs, including an alignment, are through the roof. Good luck.

Jens_mk7

Sorry to hear that. I had Emmanuel Design springs and ECS heavy duty mounts and bearings installed and I had the same issues. I had the shop check everything, and reinstall everything again - same problems.

I then ripped it all out and put in Driver Gear springs with stock mounts and stock bearings. The sound is 99.99% gone (I've heard one little squeak, once). I've had the DG springs on for months now, and I'm very happy with them. I hesitate to think my issue was with the ED springs; I think it was the ECS mounts and bearings.

Did you put in aftermarket mounts and bearings? If not, you may need to have them replaced with stock ones, or have someone else check the installation. I am not a tech, so this is just my experience, not a professional evaluation.

I know this is all terribly expensive as the labor costs, including an alignment, are through the roof. Good luck.

Actually I have the stock mounts and bearings..people said to look into 034 Motorsport strut mounts ..so I’m actually looking for after market struts and bearings but yeah I’ll have to get it checked out once more ..thank you

Jens_mk7

If your struts were blown it would blow through the stroke on highspeed impacts (like big dips in the road) and bottom out. The overall feel would be bouncy and over sprung

When I go regular speed on a small dip like 35 mph it even slow down to like 25 mph. It’s still to fast so the nose of the car dives into the dip and to me the car does feel a little bouncy and not stable when it goes on dips ..sometimes I have to slow down to 5 mph on an intersection so my car doesn’t dive or make the noise on the dips ..it’s frustrating

lokerola

Ready to race!
Actually I have the stock mounts and bearings..people said to look into 034 Motorsport strut mounts ..so I’m actually looking for after market struts and bearings but yeah I’ll have to get it checked out once more ..thank you

The part where you described it making a pop sound at full lock sounds fishy to me. I would see if you can find another shop for a second opinion on the installation. Maybe there's a mod-friendly dealer who you can have check it out?

EDIT: Search shows maybe a place called Galpin might be a good option? https://www.reddit.com/r/GolfGTI/comments/3k32i4/modfriendly_dealers_in_los_angeles/

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
I have ED springs with re-used(~9500 miles) OE mounts/bearings and have no noises. This, in my eyes, is 100% install error as Jake mentioned.

Jens_mk7

I have ED springs with re-used(~9500 miles) OE mounts/bearings and have no noises. This, in my eyes, is 100% install error as Jake mentioned.

Yes but I think the OE bearing and struts mounts have been worn down since the car has 47,000 miles on it. So I think I would need to change it now ? Hopefully that’s what stops the noise but I still got to go get it check out by another place . Thank you though

Tico63

Ready to race!
Had this same issue with these exact springs. From what I understand it is the spring hitting itself when taking a bump. You can resolve this by putting bushings or some type of cushion so the spring has something else to hit.

Never had the issue with the full lock.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Tein makes something called a "spring silencer". It just slips over the coils.

Jens_mk7

Had this same issue with these exact springs. From what I understand it is the spring hitting itself when taking a bump. You can resolve this by putting bushings or some type of cushion so the spring has something else to hit.

Never had the issue with the full lock.

Yes someone else told me they had the same issues with Nuespeed racing as well on their GTI’s. Other people is telling me the control arms could be it too but I’m not sure to be honest.