GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cold weather design flaw

RealmOfConfusion

Ready to race!
I've finally found something about the MK7 Golf to have a little moan about...

This morning was very cold and a layer of ice had formed on the windscreen and all the side windows. Not frost as such, more like frozen drizzle.

The windscreen cleared fine, but at the bottom of the side windows is a small groove.... this groove had filled with moisture which had then frozen solid. As a result, I was unable to wind any of the windows down until after I'd used quite a lot of de-icer and hacked away at some of the ice with the pointy end of the ice scraper.

What genius thought that having a groove between rubber and glass at the bottom of the window was a good idea? Do they not have winter in Germany (or does everyone there keep their car in a nice warm garage overnight?!?

GTI-7-Performance

Ready to race!
Why do the windows need to come down so soon into your journey?
I presume to see out of them when obscured by frost and ice...

Wolksvagen

Banned
I noticed the groove fairly quickly, it is a dirt trap, tree droppings, dust, crap etc accumulates in this rubber groove, then fully wind down the front windows and all the crap falls into the door cavity.

Why it was designed this way baffles me, if it brings any benefit at all, it is far outweighed by the flaws it creates.

RealmOfConfusion

Ready to race!
Why do the windows need to come down so soon into your journey?

I had de-iced the windows, but as I was setting off, it was difficult to see out of the back window as it had misted up slightly.

When I tried to wind the rear window down, nothing happened. It was then that I discovered the groove.

So even though I had de-iced, I still had to hack at the ice in the groove to get the window down in order to see out :)