GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The official "Post your deal!!!" thread

JD-1

Ready to race!
That's the exact configuration I've been considering (although I do also like the new White Silver as well). If you don't mind me asking, what dealership gave you that quote? Any dealerships you've dealt with so far that should be avoided?

I paid about 1k less for same config but manual trans in CT

EmollientFoil

Bought my new white 2017 GTI S DSG for $23500 OTD (that’s including tax, title and everything)

Nice, that's about what I did as well 2 weeks ago. I think before TTL it was 20,950, and I got them to go up 500 more on my trade as well. Plus came with the monster mats, and cargo system, and roadside pack. So all in all like 22,250. I think we did well! :cool:

Last edited:

Irvingmtz

what do you guys think of this

2018 GTI SE DSG in Iron Blue w/ leather
Los Angeles, CA

MSRP $33,435
Discount - $3,200
Sale Price - $30235
Tax - $2872.32
DMV Fees - $525
Total $33,632.32

I know it's hard to find a good deal on a 2018 right now
This is all over email.
I'm sure I can try to get them to drop it off even more when I show up.

Just left and this is their final offer

MSRP $33,435
Discount - $3,435
Sale Price - $30,000
Fees - $542
Tax - $2,850
Total - $33,392

3.9% @ 72 months with $7,000 down payment.
I guess not too bad for this early in 2018.

sdo1349

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE 6MT,
I had a great experience from a DC dealer Pohanka. $8K discount, 25%. 17 SE. MSRP $32K bought for $24K plus TTL. Well worth the trip!

B00STED1

Ready to race!
Got curious to see if there were any 2017's in my area they're listed at 19k. Kind of makes me wonder if I should have waited till now to purchase than to have bought my 2015 used. Meh, I'm still happy in the end.

SaltyCh1ps

I had a great experience from a DC dealer Pohanka. $8K discount, 25%. 17 SE. MSRP $32K bought for $24K plus TTL. Well worth the trip!
Was it a zero mile 17? Got used 2017 dsg SE w/ fender /leather/sunroof/pp for 23800

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

DasAuto12

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys, i officially put my 13 GTI up for sale and once it is sold, I will be gunning for a sweet deal on an 18 SE or a slightly used 17 SE (still debating if I should buy new or slightly used...i just really love the facelift on the 18 and the headlights).

I've been reading here that the common theme is to do all negotiations via email and get the price all down before walking into the dealer. Does anyone know of or have an effective template that they've used for email negotiation?

Another question I have, if I make a deal with a dealer that is like 1000 miles away (too far to make the drive), do I HAVE to go into the dealer or can we do all the paperwork electronically?

Feel free to shoot me any other tips or tricks that have helped you in the past when it comes to car negotiations. Or things you wish you knew in hindsight. appreciate it!

JKoehle

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
^^^
I called a couple NoVA dealers on a Thursday afternoon and got some offers, called them again into the next week shooting them each others offer till one went below the price point I was gunning for (under 26 OTD) and emailed it to my local dealers. I just told them “come close”. One of them offered 27 and I asked 26.5 since I figured my time/flight/gas was worth right around that

I gave them 1k to dealer swap and transport the car (not on top, but as a deposit) and I was in and out of the dealer within 2 hours the next day.

It’s the same attitude/approach I’ve always read about when it comes to buying cars - ie. know what you’re willing to spend, get your own financing, don’t be afraid to say “No” but it’s even easier since you don’t even have to be face to face with them.

I think most dealers recognize at this point that they’re competing in a regional, if not national, market and they should be more than willing to do business with you over the phone.

Good luck!

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I've been reading here that the common theme is to do all negotiations via email and get the price all down before walking into the dealer. Does anyone know of or have an effective template that they've used for email negotiation?

Another question I have, if I make a deal with a dealer that is like 1000 miles away (too far to make the drive), do I HAVE to go into the dealer or can we do all the paperwork electronically?

Cars.com is a good way to zero in dealers. Contact them and get the following split up for one of the vehicle in their inventory:
MSRP
Selling price
Destination fee
Dealer fee
What incentives are included in selling price.

I would prefer taking the delivery myself rather than getting the vehicle shipped. If there is any damage, you will never know when it happened. You might be able to get cheap one way air tickets and you should have a joyful break-in drive.

DasAuto12

Passed Driver's Ed
^^^
I called a couple NoVA dealers on a Thursday afternoon and got some offers, called them again into the next week shooting them each others offer till one went below the price point I was gunning for (under 26 OTD) and emailed it to my local dealers. I just told them “come close”. One of them offered 27 and I asked 26.5 since I figured my time/flight/gas was worth right around that

I gave them 1k to dealer swap and transport the car (not on top, but as a deposit) and I was in and out of the dealer within 2 hours the next day.

It’s the same attitude/approach I’ve always read about when it comes to buying cars - ie. know what you’re willing to spend, get your own financing, don’t be afraid to say “No” but it’s even easier since you don’t even have to be face to face with them.

I think most dealers recognize at this point that they’re competing in a regional, if not national, market and they should be more than willing to do business with you over the phone.

Good luck!
ha thats actually exactly what I'm looking for; under 26k OTD. Going to try and get that over email as I dont like talking on the phone. you say get your own financing though. Aren't most of the incentives/rebates offered for the GTI based on you financing through VW?

DasAuto12

Passed Driver's Ed
Cars.com is a good way to zero in dealers. Contact them and get the following split up for one of the vehicle in their inventory:
MSRP
Selling price
Destination fee
Dealer fee
What incentives are included in selling price.

I would prefer taking the delivery myself rather than getting the vehicle shipped. If there is any damage, you will never know when it happened. You might be able to get cheap one way air tickets and you should have a joyful break-in drive.
thanks for the recommendation. And I would definitely be down for a nice little roadtrip, but when it gets to the 1000 mile mark, idk about that. I could def see myself driving about 500 miles.

gtinewbie1

Passed Driver's Ed
Finally joined the family. After weeks of haggling over email with dealers all over SoCal I finally made a purchase.

I strolled into the dealership signed the papers and was out in less than an hr. Could have been faster but the sales manager took forever to get my temp registration on the windshield.

2018 Pure White Autobahn

MSRP: $37,665
Discount: $4,000
Selling Price: $33,665 +TTL

2.9% APR for 72 Months

So happy. Took her out for a road trip put 160 miles on her.

Now to tint the windows and debate whether to do anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JKoehle

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
ha thats actually exactly what I'm looking for; under 26k OTD. Going to try and get that over email as I dont like talking on the phone. you say get your own financing though. Aren't most of the incentives/rebates offered for the GTI based on you financing through VW?

Whatever their website advertised price includes that stuff, just make sure you clarify you don’t qualify for any of them before you start negotiations.