GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bad Luck: Part 2: The Sequel

Buguyed

Ready to race!
I had my car back 4 solid days from the shop after the hit and run accident. I’m starting to think she’s cursed or I am :(

Driving to work a day after a previous days snow storm, a large piece of ice fell off a truck and landed in my lane. (Think, that large ice that accumulates behind a wheel from driving around in inclement weather). Roughly 10-12” tall. I didn’t have time to stop and no where to swerve and unfortunately had to run it over. I didn’t think much until the myriad of Christmas tree lights illuminated the dash.

I pull over to asses the damage as the temp gauge starts to climb and I immediately turn the car off. It was towed to a nearby VW dealership (free roadside assistance) to be assessed. At that time I thought it was just a Radiator and was hoping to get off Cheap without consulting insurance. I was thinking I would fix the bumper and radiator myself with the $1k deductible.

I’m now working on another insurance claim as VW estimated over $6K in damages! Around $4k is mechanical to make it run and drive and the rest “cosmetic”.

Lip spoiler
Grill
Paint
Plastic skid plate cover
ACC module, calibration, and brackets
Radiator
Radiator hoses
Radiator core support (how it mounts to car)
AC Condenser
Intercooler
Labor

Seems kind of excessive since here’s the damages:

MDLBC

Ready to race!
That sucks. I hit a deer and a week later after getting back from the shop a piece of drywall flew off a truck and thrashed my front bumper.

The estimate seems a bit high but the ACC replacement with calibration alone can put you at your deductible. Technically “no fault” but back to back claims will most likely raise your rates. However, at $7,000, I guess that’s why we have insurance to begin with.

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
Ouch, sorry to hear the bad news. Did you catch the truck's license plate or Company name and Unit number? I dispatch trucks, I know when debris falls off a truck technically they are liable for the damage to your vehicle.

Last edited:

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
If you have AAA try taking it to another dealer on a flatbed, or a VW shop you trust. Doesnt hurt to get another estimate at least.

Buguyed

Ready to race!
I have a dash cam but can’t make out if it fell off a school bus or a truck. I was coming over a hill so it just slid out from one of the two.

I guess I don’t care about the estimate it’s gonna be over my $1k deductible so I’m just gonna get it fixed.

BronxBomber

Ready to race!
sorry dude, that sucks. I feel your pain.

importrx7

Ready to race!
Damn doesn’t seem like you can catch a break :(

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
I have been waiting for confirmation that it fits on 7.5 R but they obviously cannot since there are no 7.5 R's available for sale in the US. They suggested I drive down to check but 20 hours is a bit far!

i don't see why it wouldn't the mk7.5 is not a completely new model, new dashboard, tail lights, some minor visual cues and the 7 speed dsg transmission is really the only difference