GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Red ambient light in cabin

janeirouno

Is there a solution or DYI to getting red ambient lights in our cabins similar to the Mark 5/6 (& Mark 4 Passat, I know ECS sold a kit to add the lighting for the Mark 4 Golf/Jetta/Gti)?

I was thinking I could find some LEDs and drill some holes in the upper center console and steal power from the worthless VW carnet (or w/e its called).

My biggest issue would be finding the right LEDs that have the perfect amount of brightness (the Mark 6 nailed this) (I guess adjustable LEDs could work). Minor but still an issue would be aiming and light output type (a wide, soft light would work).

Powering the LEDs is not an issue for me.

Any ideas?!

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
I’m selling the door panels and lower panels that have them already if you’re interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Not sure how practical this is but you could try to fit some sort of red cap or film over the existing LEDs. You have door handle and door pocket lights correct?

takemorepills

Ready to race!
I think the OP is talking about overhead ambient lighting, which is missing in the Mk7.

My truck has a red LED in the overhead console that lights up the entire area under it in a nice, non-distracting just-right amount of red light. It would be nice if the Mk7 had this also.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
^ I also think the OP is talking about this.

You could take your center overhead trim off and drill two holes and mount two low level red LEDs.

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Is there a solution or DYI to getting red ambient lights in our cabins similar to the Mark 5/6 (& Mark 4 Passat, I know ECS sold a kit to add the lighting for the Mark 4 Golf/Jetta/Gti)?

I was thinking I could find some LEDs and drill some holes in the upper center console and steal power from the worthless VW carnet (or w/e its called).

My biggest issue would be finding the right LEDs that have the perfect amount of brightness (the Mark 6 nailed this) (I guess adjustable LEDs could work). Minor but still an issue would be aiming and light output type (a wide, soft light would work).

Powering the LEDs is not an issue for me.

Any ideas?!

For the MKIV this was an upgrade that many did. I ended getting the W8 Console that already had these lights. Someone did a DIY and I'm sure you can tap into the same power as some due with dashcams and radar detectors if you have an auto dimming mirror. I'm not sure there is a switched on without the auto dimming mirror.

Parts from this build thread might help, but yeah you will have to drill some small holes up top. If you do it right it should look oem

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3127965

janeirouno

Last couple of posts got it. I am looking for the overhead ambient lighting. I have a Gti so all the normal stuff is already there.

I found a flush mount LED I'm going to order along w/ a dimmer.

MuscleToMouse94

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Not sure how practical this is but you could try to fit some sort of red cap or film over the existing LEDs. You have door handle and door pocket lights correct?

I’m trying to get some red lights for the small light under door handle, cant find any red LED bulbs for it. However, this sounds like a great idea. Anyone have any advice?