GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to retro-fit skid trays, aerodynamic under trays, & stone guards to a MK7 Golf

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
So I was reading this weeks "Autocar" magazine & noticed this little snippet of a conversation about the new Mercedes A-class.

Basically they have reduced the drag down to 0.25cd by flattening the underside of the car. Which had the same effect as removing 100kg from the weight of the car!

Unfortunately I can't find the original cd figures for the previous pre-facelift versions, so have no comparison.

Anyway earlier in this thread I stated:-
""Just a quick update, VW have just launched a new Bluemotion version of the Golf hatch, Estate & SV with the new 1.0lt TSI engine. They have had to fit & I quote "By lowering the chassis by 15 mm, adapting the radiator grille (more solid), optimising the cooling airflow and fitting special underfloor panels and a rear spoiler (side fins), the Golf TSI BlueMotion’s Cd value has been reduced to 0.28 (from 0.29 in the standard Golf). Forum member & owner of the same car confirmed it only has the diesel noise insulation aero tray & NONE of the other trays etc.

Found this site (NSX owners forum) which has aa Audi A4 before & after cd gain for different undertrays etc.
http://www.nsxprime.com/photopost/ns...eneration.html
Looking at it I recon that fitting the my full package I have reduced the drag by at least 0.014.
So standard quoted Cd for the MK7 Golf estate is 0.27 (hatch is 0.29) these figures are from the web so might not be 100% .
So a reduction from 0.27 to 0.256...is a reduction of 5.2% so in theory an increase of fuel range by the same 5.2%. """

So I wonder if VW will be following Mercedes lead & looking at this thread & then realise that they have been stupid & could lower the brands overall emissions based on car sales etc by fitting the bloody aero trim panels it flipping well already makes!!

Attachments

• P2240002-reduced.jpg
    P2240002-reduced.jpg
    790.1 KB · Views: 876
Last edited:

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
https://www.carfolio.com/search/specific/?searchon=cdb&asp=&y1=&y2=&num=100

VW has the top 3 spots in this random list I found of top 100 aerodynamic cars.
When I read 0.25 CD I was impressed, but looking at the list it may only be great for a hatch.
There are a ton of VAG, BMW, and other Mercedes sedan lower in the rankings. 0.31 for the stock MK7 GTI is pretty abysmal. Dave's panels must have us in the 0.20s, right?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
. 0.31 for the stock MK7 GTI is pretty abysmal. Dave's panels must have us in the 0.20s, right?

I think my original calculations that I quoted above might be very slightly out....:eek:

I have had a dig around the numerous official VW "Self study "guides which are the only places I can find any cd info...& still nothing on the estate!!

EDIT:-

Put correct info on cd aero for the MK7 Golf in the very first post on this thread.

Last edited:

mrrogers1

I think my original calculations that I quoted above might be very slightly out....:eek:

I have had a dig around the numerous official VW "Self study "guides which are the only places I can find any cd info...& still nothing on the estate!!

EDIT:-

Put correct info on cd aero for the MK7 Golf in the very first post on this thread.

IMPRESSIVE! Thanks Dave

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
So the skid plate with no vent, has anyone run it? I can get a really good deal on one but of course it has no vent. I have a 6spd GTI and some say the vent is most beneficial for DSG cars but the stock tray has a couple so it's there for a reason.

Last edited:

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
So the skid plate with no vent, has anyone run it? I can get a really good deal on one but of course it has no vent. I have a 6spd GTI and some say the vent is most beneficial for DSG cars but the stock tray has a couple so it's there for a reason.

Looking at the PR codes there are only three PR code pages for the underbody trays

1X0 = Front wheel drive has B & C part numbers with sub codes 1SB & 1SK
1X1 = 4 wheel drive has 902 & C part numbers & sub codes DN4, 1SB & 1SK
0K3 = Phev nothing listed for skid tray...most likely as full ride height & not lowered.

1SB = Additional front underbody guard
1SK = Additional engine & transmission & underbody guard
DN4 = 2lt 110kW turbo diesel

personally I'd stick with a duct...& that may be why the solid tray is going cheap...less takers for it...

Blade3562

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
None
I can't find a US supplier for part number 902C, the skid tray without duct. I have a 5 speed manual, so all the duct does is collect debris. Given I drive dirt roads it would be nice to keep that stuff out lol. I currently have the OEM A3 aerotray.

Also I see ecs now sells an "OEM skid tray" kit as these come standard on our alltracks now, but it has the DSG cooling inlet.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/skid-plate-kit/3q0825902kt/

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Also I see ecs now sells an "OEM skid tray" kit as these come standard on our alltracks now, but it has the DSG cooling inlet.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-volkswagen-audi-parts/skid-plate-kit/3q0825902kt/

Taken them long enough.....& your (USA) alltrack actually uses the part number from the Passat.(3Q0)..which was first posted on this thread by another forum member back in April 2016 here;-

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=356454&postcount=151

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
You can buy the one with no vent on ebay here for $59US shipped:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/genuine-un...207743?hash=item212dac9c7f:g:fEIAAOSw23lZsU78

Or the one with the vent from the same seller here for $77US shipped:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/genuine-un...225534?hash=item213a12b5fe:g:3zsAAOSw0O5aHrpV

They originally only had the one with no vent listed on ebay.com but the one with a vent on ebay.de. I emailed them and they were more then happy to list the vented one on ebay.com for me. To Canada from Germany it ships via DHL and now has been handed off to Canada Post for final delivery. For the other parts needed everything is available from ECS, Deutsche Autoparts etc or my local dealer.

mrrogers1

I can't find a US supplier for part number 902C, the skid tray without duct. I have a 5 speed manual, so all the duct does is collect debris. Given I drive dirt roads it would be nice to keep that stuff out lol. I currently have the OEM A3 aerotray.

I wonder if they changed something in 2016 model year as my 2015 OEM tray has no duct for tranny cooling. Keeping it closed up definitely makes sense in your case and I doubt it would be much of an issue on other DSG cars. My last 2 MK5 DSG cars had no duct either in their closed trays.

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I wonder if they changed something in 2016 model year as my 2015 OEM tray has no duct for tranny cooling. Keeping it closed up definitely makes sense in your case and I doubt it would be much of an issue on other DSG cars. My last 2 MK5 DSG cars had no duct either in their closed trays.Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

That is the thin aero tray...

& VW have always done a solid tray & ducted one...the solid trays are usually standard fit on diesel cars & described as sound/noise insulation...

Having a petrol car which I "rally" down 2hr long twisty back roads in summer I prefer a cooling duct...;)

mrrogers1

That is the thin aero tray...

& VW have always done a solid tray & ducted one...the solid trays are usually standard fit on diesel cars & described as sound/noise insulation...

Having a petrol car which I "rally" down 2hr long twisty back roads in summer I prefer a cooling duct...;)

I'll definitely be adding the upgraded tray before bringing my wagen down to earth a touch (H&R Sport springs) but for now, it's noise cancelling, no rally, no duct tray for me. :)

Thanks Dave!

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI Autobahn
My skid plate arrived from Germany today, no taxes or duty (bonus!), shipping took approx. 2 weeks via DHL and then handed to Canada Post for final delivery. Ordered all the necessary hardware from a local dealer (20% discount on parts, bonus #2!) which should be here by the weekend. In total for the skid plate & parts I'm into this project for $155CDN ($115US).