GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Coil over install help?

jcarl126

Ready to race!
Hey guys,

Not very good with suspension, need a hand... I’ve been reading up on coil over install and was wondering:

Does one need to loosen up the front axles for front coil over installation? Doesn’t seem very complicated, but any steps I can avoid always help!

Second question on spreading the hub, Anyone use a wedge or big chisel inserted from below the hub to spread that bad boy or is the little VW hub spreader tool the only way?

Navi

Autocross Champion

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I’ve done dozens of them, just did a mk6 GLI Wednesday.

Some people do the “2x4” method, but it seems pretty Mickey Mouse to me. The axle bolts get torqued to 200ft lbs plus one half turn. To loosen & tighten someone needs to hold the brakes to the floor for you or it’s not gonna happen. No big deal, my wife usually has brake holder duty lol. But anyway I’ll link you to the torque specs for everything.

https://blogvager.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/10-audi_a3_qsb_web.pdf

As for the spreader you need one or a substitute. I own one so I’ve never tried it but I hear a 1/4” extension will fit it you pry a little first. Then turn it on edge //

You also need t25 Torxs, 14mm triple square and 8 or 10 I think...I always just grab them without looking since I’ve used them so much.

Strut mounts and bearings you need a spark plug socket, a wrench to turn it and an Allen key to hold the shaft from spinning.

photo uploading sites free

Or if you feel like a little drive come down and I’ll do it for $200 and you can drink beer and learn the job for next time.

GLI I did Wednesday
photo uploading sites free

jcarl126

Ready to race!
Question for the axle bolts, if I’m using pneumatics, they should just back their way out of I hold the hub with a prybar??

Also, for strut mount, think I’m just going to put new mount and bearings on.. car has 4500 miles but plan on lettin the factory shocks and springs go for sale and will make it easier for buyer.

How long did all 4 corners take you, Jake?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Question for the axle bolts, if I’m using pneumatics, they should just back their way out of I hold the hub with a prybar??

Also, for strut mount, think I’m just going to put new mount and bearings on.. car has 4500 miles but plan on lettin the factory shocks and springs go for sale and will make it easier for buyer.

How long did all 4 corners take you, Jake?

If you use air you probably won’t need to hold it. Either the gun will have the ass to get them loose or it won’t.

4,500 miles is nothing, the customers car I did this week had 120,000 and the mounts & bearings were tight and in great condition. He opted to reuse everything and all of the torque to yield bolts held firm to proper torque too.

It took just under 5 hours, but that was taking my time and talking to the guy/explaining things along the way. No air tools, everything torqued to spec.

Honestly the stock suspension is probably only worth what your new OEM mounts will cost, if you can even get someone to buy them. They’re not an “upgrade” for anything since the regular golf has 5mm smaller diameter housings

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I would avoid messing with the front axles.. use the 2x4 method. Quicker and easier. Make sure you have a strut spreader.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9N3ZmwevLE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvkMiA8nQ2U&t=130s

^^^
This guy gets it

The 2x4 method is the quickest & easiest way to remove the struts, and you're also not removing extra components which could give you trouble and/or something break (you never know)

After the struts are out, the (shorter) coil overs will drop right in after that

MrStickkyMK7

Jake,
where did you find the specification booklet posted above for the A3? Do you know if theres one for the mk7 golf/gti/R? I want to install my coilovers next weekend but have not found any reliable torque specs anywhere and that would be nice to have! Thanks

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Jake,
where did you find the specification booklet posted above for the A3? Do you know if theres one for the mk7 golf/gti/R? I want to install my coilovers next weekend but have not found any reliable torque specs anywhere and that would be nice to have! Thanks

Someone posted them on the mk6 forum, but torque specs are based on bolt size not the model of the car, so since the hardware is pretty much unchanged mk5-7.5 you’ll be much better using that reference than none at all.

If I had specs like that for mk7, I’d post it, but that looks like an internal document which I have no access to