GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Recommendations on Coilovers?

2SlowNoMo

Ready to race!
I have been looking for coilovers and planned on getting the Bilstein B8 coilover package for about $1000. seems like they are out of stock everywhere currently, so that got me thinking about what options are out there in the same quality/cost category. Anyone have direct experience with coilovers that they would recommend?

2SlowNoMo

Ready to race!
I've been on KW V1's for a while now - they strike a great balance between control and comfort.

I was wondering about those. Thanks I will check them out.

TastyPancakes

Ready to race!
Im planning on getting Bilstein B16 PSS10's here in the next few months. I don't plan on going very low and I'd like to have the ability to adjust the dampening. If I end up getting them sooner I can provide some feedback. Price is reasonable for what you get too.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
B8's are struts. The Bilstein coilovers at ~1k are the B14.

I'm running the B14's on my GTI. For what they are...they perform pretty good. Steering response is much quicker and there is less body roll. Comfort is about as good as you're going to get with coilovers. Cruising and small bumps are pretty good...dips and bumps are going to feel harsh. If you have really crappy roads...I'd probably avoid coilovers in altogether.

BronxBomber

Ready to race!
BC Racing. I’ve abused these all over the pothole ridden streets of New York, and they hold up like a champ. Solid ride, Comfy on the softest settings and just right on about an 11/10 setting front/back. I love em.

2SlowNoMo

Ready to race!
B8's are struts. The Bilstein coilovers at ~1k are the B14.

I'm running the B14's on my GTI. For what they are...they perform pretty good. Steering response is much quicker and there is less body roll. Comfort is about as good as you're going to get with coilovers. Cruising and small bumps are pretty good...dips and bumps are going to feel harsh. If you have really crappy roads...I'd probably avoid coilovers in altogether.

thanks. I realized after I posted that I meant b14 coilovers. Right before I posted I was looking at b8 to add to my ED springs as a cheap alternative, but decided against it.

jcarl126

Ready to race!
thanks. I realized after I posted that I meant b14 coilovers. Right before I posted I was looking at b8 to add to my ED springs as a cheap alternative, but decided against it.

Have a set of ST X coilovers posted in the for sale section, NIB, purchased over the weekend but now rethinking if i actually want coil overs or just some springs :rolleyes:

JKoehle

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I have the ST X’s and I’ve ridden in 2 MK7s with the B14s, and slammed I think my car is way more comfortable. No track experience with them but from what I’ve read they might be too soft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jcarl126

Ready to race!
I have the ST X’s and I’ve ridden in 2 MK7s with the B14s, and slammed I think my car is way more comfortable. No track experience with them but from what I’ve read they might be too soft.

Yea they seem like awesome coil overs, but just more than what i need in suspension setup! otherwise they would be going on the car this weekend haha

carchrism5

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
I have PSS10s set rather low and they perform amazingly. I tracked the car with them, auto and full circuit and have been very pleased. They are built extremely well and I highly recommend them.

That being said they are on the stiffer side so you might want weigh options. What are your goals for them? Looks, handling, longevity/quality. I'm not sure where in NY you are but there are lots of modified MK7s around. I'm only about 20 mins from westchester and would be happy to meet up if you were interested in PSS10s.

JKoehle

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I was thinking the exact same thing but the longer I’ve spent here and the Facebook groups and seen people buying expensive ass struts and shocks to match their springs or eating a loss on them to buy coilovers instead I decided it would be wise to do it “right” the first time

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
Have a set of ST X coilovers posted in the for sale section, NIB, purchased over the weekend but now rethinking if i actually want coil overs or just some springs :rolleyes:
Ugh. I know. I've looked at them half a dozen times at least. Gotta pay Uncle Sam though, and he'll probably get pissy if I buy car parts instead.

Sounds like exactly what I want. *sigh*

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jcarl126

Ready to race!
Ugh. I know. I've looked at them half a dozen times at least. Gotta pay Uncle Sam though, and he'll probably get pissy if I buy car parts instead.Sounds like exactly what I want. *sigh*

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Well, dang, you guys are making me reconsider! Maybe just put these on the car anyway lol.

Give uncle same the "Extension" card, youve gotta be able to get around so you need new car parts right? gotta get to work somehow! :D

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Just a heads up, but at the very least with the B14 coilovers we are currently in the middle of a national backorder. I placed an order for mine back in early November, and they kept on getting delayed. Last I was last told they would arrive in mid April.

Needless to say, I decided to change the order to the BC BR series coilovers. I'll be sure to chime on in with my experience with them once I get them installed and properly set up.