GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

235/40/18 on 18x8.5 +33, lowered on h&r springs, rubbing?

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Looking to get a set of bbs ch motorsport wheels in 18x8.5 +33 offset, mount with hankook 235/40 /18 rs4 tires.

My car is presently lowered on h&r springs with oem dampers.

Has anyone run a similar setup? If so, is there rubbing involved? I understand it's an aggressive offset, but the cars not lowered by an excessive amount, and I would do the front screw mod and most likely get an alignment to bring in the camber in the rear.

Thoughts?

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Looking to get a set of bbs ch motorsport wheels in 18x8.5 +33 offset, mount with hankook 235/40 /18 rs4 tires.

My car is presently lowered on h&r springs with oem dampers.

Has anyone run a similar setup? If so, is there rubbing involved? I understand it's an aggressive offset, but the cars not lowered by an excessive amount, and I would do the front screw mod and most likely get an alignment to bring in the camber in the rear.

Thoughts?

I'd say you have about a 95% chance of rubbing on big dips up front without a way to add negative camber. Rear you could adjust the camber to -2 and I'd bet you'd clear, that's about where mine are sitting now.

It's not necessarily how low you are, it's a lot of how stiff your suspension is. Lowering springs and stock shocks will compress much easier than a set of coilovers, even lower than where you are now, so there is less danger to the fender.

Hankook RS4s run wider compared to what I have on now (Conti ECS) by about 0.3", but an 8.5" ET33 is ~5mm less aggressive than my setup now, so that may be a wash. Tire section width is also important to consider.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
think that 225/40 tires would solve most if not all of the rubbing issues on hard bumps then?

Last edited:

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
think that 225/40 tires would solve most if not all of the rubbing issues on hard bumps then?

It could, but it's hard to be sure. Realistically if you want a setup that will not rub at all, you would want to start with a less aggressive wheel. If you're dead set on that wheel, a 225/40 tire, some camber, maybe some fender work or a combination of all could be needed.

Engineer90

Ready to race!
et 33 is too far out... et 45 is perfect. You can even do 255mm wide tires as an example. No rubbing even with mild drop.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie

Why though?

Just get some wheels with the proper offset so you can have the ability to run wider tires.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Why though?

Just get some wheels with the proper offset so you can have the ability to run wider tires.
You have a point, but if you want to make a very specific wheel work, these are the questions you ask and compromises you make.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

BruceG55

Hey guys, im from Montreal, I own a autobahn 2016 Gti and im thinking lowering the car using the H&R Sport Springs along with wheel spacers flush kit. My question is, where could I buy these at low price here in Canada/Quebec/Montreal. I can only find them at like 230$, USD though plus i have to pay for shipping. So I really would like to find somewhere within Canada that i could buy them bellow 300$

BronxBomber

Ready to race!
Where are all you Canadians? Come on, chime in. Help a fellow countryman/enthusiast out:confused:

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Where are all you Canadians? Come on, chime in. Help a fellow countryman/enthusiast out:confused:
They probably aren't in this thread looking for the most off topic post in it [emoji23]

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
Hey guys, im from Montreal, I own a autobahn 2016 Gti and im thinking lowering the car using the H&R Sport Springs along with wheel spacers flush kit. My question is, where could I buy these at low price here in Canada/Quebec/Montreal. I can only find them at like 230$, USD though plus i have to pay for shipping. So I really would like to find somewhere within Canada that i could buy them bellow 300$
Look up Essex distributors. They have the lowest prices on h&r and bilstein parts and provide free shipping in Canada.

As for the spacers, good luck. It took me forever to find a used set of ecs ones. You may have to bite the bullet and order directly from ecs and either have them shipped up to you, or have them shipped for free near the border where you'd have to drive to get them and pay customs fees.

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
To update the op:

Picking up a set of neuspeed rse12 18x8 +45 with ecs 10mm and 15mm spacers on the cheap. Problem solved.