GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Shed some light on this for me?

BigJerm44

Ready to race!
It's very much possible to have an 18 that won't clear PP brakes. The issue he's running into is in regards to the face design. When looking at the picture the back of the wheel is probably along the lines of the green design and doesn't have enough clearance for the caliper.

That's correct. Except at the edges, it bends slightly inward as well. It looked like it was spinning freely when I left my 15mm spacer on though, I'm just worried about if that's going to be too much poke for my setup... Maybe I'd be able to get away with 12.5mm spacers to minimize poke and maximize caliper clearance?.. I'm just very frustrated as I've wanted these wheels for forever and now that I'm learning the PP brakes could be an issue It has me thinking how the hell am I ever going to find wheels I know will fit over them if these ones don't work out.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Well, what kind of crap is that. Never heard of an 18 not fitting before.

ECS says they fit

Volkswagen Golf VII R GTI 2.0T Gen3

Unless you are tracking your car I'd consider selling the PP brakes and putting on nonPP brakes. Won't be able to see them under the new wheels anyways.

BigJerm44

Ready to race!
Well, what kind of crap is that. Never heard of an 18 not fitting before.

ECS says they fit

Volkswagen Golf VII R GTI 2.0T Gen3

Unless you are tracking your car I'd consider selling the PP brakes and putting on nonPP brakes. Won't be able to see them under the new wheels anyways.

Yeah you're telling me... And I'd rather not do so but.. Where could I even find the normal set? I looked on DAP and didn't see anything. Also, is this just new calipers or does it replace the whole assembly? (rotors/pads/calipers)

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Yeah you're telling me... And I'd rather not do so but.. Where could I even find the normal set? I looked on DAP and didn't see anything. Also, is this just new calipers or does it replace the whole assembly? (rotors/pads/calipers)

calipers, pads, rotors are different. brake dust shield too probably
Put a WTB in the FS section. I wouldn't buy new, way too expensive.

BigJerm44

Ready to race!
calipers, pads, rotors are different. brake dust shield too probably
Put a WTB in the FS section. I wouldn't buy new, way too expensive.

I really would just prefer to use spacers for clearance... Is rolling the fenders slightly an option if the poke ends up being too much? How much does something like that typically cost?

BigJerm44

Ready to race!
Okay so I'm back with some measurements. We put the wheel on with the centric rings, and without the 15mm spacer, it didn't clear. WITH the 15mm spacer, there is approximately 9mm of clearance between the most inward set part of the face of the wheel and the face of the caliper. This leaves me with about a 1/2" of poke from the highest point on the wheel. (Front fenders)

We've determined that I could then technically move down to a 10mm spacer, still have about 4mm of clearance between the caliper and the face of the wheel, bringing the poke down to approximately 1/4". We still don't have the tire's mounted (235/40/18 Firehawk Indy 500's) so we can't tell if the wheel will tuck slightly with the way the sidewall ends up falling when mounted.

Ultimately I guess this means I don't have to worry about returning the wheels, and that I just have to determine what size spacer will work best along with MAYBE returning the tires and going with a 225 for a slight stretch? Would this cause performance issues or anything undesirable I'm unaware of?

. My friend also mentioned that I could have an alignment and have the camber adjusted about 2 degrees or so if I need those extra few mm of tuck. (Is this adjustable on the MK7?)

Let me know if you see anything we're not seeing using the info I've provided and any other thoughts you may have . I've appreciated everyone's input so far (special thanks to Diggs)

Here's a crummy photo.

IMG_0428.jpg

Last edited:

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
You probably just need to ask yourself what your goal is here. If those wheels are the only wheels on this planet that appeal to you, then keep on going down the path of test fitting, adding/removing spacers, changing tire width/profile, adjusting camber, etc... Seems like a long and arduous process, but if those are the rims you must have, then go for it!

Conversely, there are LOTS of wheels out there that fit those brakes and you don't have the headache of what you are going through. Also, since the ECS site says "does fit PP/R" and they clearly don't, they will likely cover return shipping, you just have to call them and make the case. ECS (IMO) has great customer service and will be willing to help you correct the issue and find a new rim.

https://www.ecstuning.com/TermsOfUse/#returns-and-exchanges

reverend_sean

Go Kart Champion
Plus, if you REALLY wanted to swap your PP brakes out for non-PP brakes, just make a post about it. You will have TONS of people that would be willing to do a direct swap with you. You may have to beat them all back with a stick though.

BigJerm44

Ready to race!
My goal here is to keep the PP Brakes, Keep the wheels, fit these without rubbing and maintaining a camber that doesn't have a negative impact on performance. I'm okay with slight poke but want to be AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE to flush. If getting 225's instead of 235s would help at all I'd even consider that.

DUSlider

Ready to race!
Car(s)
16' GTI SE/PP
For me that's too much to do for wheels. Personally I won't get anything requiring hub centric rings. So it just depends on how far you want to go. I wouldn't do it though.

Regardless, make sure you leave a review for those wheels that they won't clear the calipers of GTI's with PP.

BigJerm44

Ready to race!
For me that's too much to do for wheels. Personally I won't get anything requiring hub centric rings. So it just depends on how far you want to go. I wouldn't do it though.

Regardless, make sure you leave a review for those wheels that they won't clear the calipers of GTI's with PP.

I mean to each their own, and although I don't necessarily care for the fitment game, it's not that far out of reach so I don't mind continuing the process. I'm in love with the wheels and really didn't see anything else I liked while shopping. Just looking for any advice or tips from people who have experience with fitment.

Also, I feel like a good majority of aftermarket wheels require hub centric rings. That part really isn't a big deal to me since you literally pop it on the hub. I did leave a review though. Pretty dumb that the site says they fit on both applications (GTI / R). Maybe I can get ECS to help me out with spacers since that's what's required for this to work and the information on the site was misleading.