GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DKM Clutch...

harry.mk7r

Passed Driver's Ed
my stock clutch is almost wore out at stage 2 about 36k on odo. Whats a good clutch to daily for the R at stage 2 levels? i was looking at the HS Tuning RSR Clutch Kit

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
my stock clutch is almost wore out at stage 2 about 36k on odo. Whats a good clutch to daily for the R at stage 2 levels? i was looking at the HS Tuning RSR Clutch Kit

I would go with the DKM Twin Disk or a Southbend Stage 3 (daily or endurance). Both of these are SMF...

I bought a DKM Twin Disk when it was on sale but haven't installed it yet. I'm not slipping or anything but I know I will be tuned to stage 2 soon.

If you can, I would try and meet with someone locally that has a clutch you are interested in.

ExcelerateRep1

Go Kart Champion
Sounds like something you’d say as a Southbend dealer

I as well as several others have DKM stage 3 twin disk and love them.

DKM is built by Competition Clutch, if you haven’t heard of them it’s probably because you’ve never been to a race track. They hold the world record for fwd ET and MPH, and have a much better reputation than SBC (overpriced junk on mk6 and all diesel truck applications in my decade of experience with them).

Just because something cost more, doesn’t make it better. That’s a FACT

Here’s the link to the very active DKM discussion
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37662&page=8

Yes we are a Southbend Dealer, we also sell many other brands that compete, but most of them cannot accomplish everything the Southbend can for most people. Not every product is going to be ideal for each application. We totally understand that people have different view points and everyone is entitled to their opinion and what might work for one might not work for another.

Why do we recommend Southbend? Because we have been left out in the dark and have been told to pound sand on many occasions by other manufacturers in the past and time and time again we have had to warranty faulty products or products that don't stand up to their claims. We have found products that work consistently and when they don't the manufacturer stands behind it which is why we recommend who we recommend.

I faced similar troubles you did from my sled pull and drag race days with diesels which led me to switch to Valair, but i've found my way back to Southbend and couldn't be happier. But those days are over!

You are definitely right about the cost vs quality comparison, that is definitely accurate. :D

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Do you think the DKM Stage 2 clutch have enough rated torque for a stage 2 r?

Nope, get the DKM stage 3

I hate that they use “stage” as a rating on our cars, it confuses people because stage 3 clutches from any manufacturer are usually the least you can comfortably hold tuned power with.

euroadb

Go Kart Champion
Nope, get the DKM stage 3

I hate that they use “stage” as a rating on our cars, it confuses people because stage 3 clutches from any manufacturer are usually the least you can comfortably hold tuned power with.
The DKM stage 2 is rated at 440 lb ft of torque. Why wouldn't it be able to hold with a stage 2 tune? Aren't most stage 2 is38 tunes rated around 405-ish lb ft of torque?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
The DKM stage 2 is rated at 440 lb ft of torque. Why wouldn't it be able to hold with a stage 2 tune? Aren't most stage 2 is38 tunes rated around 405-ish lb ft of torque?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Because a splash of e85 mixed with your 93 and you could be at the max rating of the clutch. 30-35 ft lbs isn’t the kinda head room I’d be looking for on something you’d hope to only replace once.

radoroc

Ready to race!
I just got mine done yesterday(twin disc), along with shifter/bracket bushings. I put the spring back in, and removed the clutch stop.

The pedal is easily 3x firmer now, and I stalled it the first time. It is definitely more aggressive and less forgiving as expected. I know it will get lighter as it breaks in, but it makes the car feels like a real sports car, including the improved shifter feel.

So far I'm happy with it, and it's also very quiet. I can't wait to push the car after break-in, I can tell that it will grab really hard and rev a little faster than before.

Last edited:

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
I just got mine done yesterday(twin disc), along with shifter/bracket bushings. I put the spring back in, and removed the clutch stop.

The pedal is easily 3x firmer now, and I stalled it the first time. It is definitely more aggressive and less forgiving as expected. I know it will get lighter as it breaks in, but it makes the car feels like a real sports car, including the improved shifter feel.

So far I'm happy with it, and it's also very quiet. I can't wait to push the car after break-in, I can tell that it will grab really hard and rev a little faster than before.

Nice. I'm getting mine installed in a little over a week. I can't wait!

Tigsel

Ready to race!
I have Sachs SMF kit. It's a very well behaved, precise and very predictable setup with slightly stiffer that OE pedal feel. It is totally DD-able and can easily manage Stage 2 power levels. If it wasn't for a slight chatter (when AC is on) you'd never tell it's an aftermarket clutch. Highly recommend it.

LG3MK7

Ready to race!
any long term upddates?
Been M.I.A. for a minute. 1 year and 7k update! Stage 2 dkm holding up well to stage 2 High Tq Ed tune w/e30 mix. No slippage what so ever. It survived winter here in Miami, about 2 weeks, so that's a plus lol. No launching done bc fwd but does get abused on the daily.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

mk4_337

Ready to race!
Been MIA too here for a bit but I just had the DKM Stage 3 clutch kit installed and I am extremely happy! Clutch pedal feel is a little bit heavier but I'm told that it should get better as the clutch breaks in, I also had my engine replaced so I need to break that in as well. Will report back as soon as I am able to flash my R back to ED's 1.5 tune

For anyone thinking about getting the DKM Stage 3 kit, go for it! You won't be disappointed!