GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Steelies for Looks

LS1

Passed Driver's Ed
I wonder what is your opinion on this:

I found some affordable steel wheels with the correct specs on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M24EO86/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

I personally like the look of steel wheels but:

- Would you have any quality/safety concerns with wheels that are this cheap?

- Do you think steelies with the Tiguan center caps would look better or worse than these factory wheels?

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I cant comment on how good these specific wheels are. But in general, these wheels should take up the beating better. And i do not care about how they look as long as they serve the purpose. Personally, Tiguan center caps are sticking out too much with the steelies and i do not prefer that look.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
For anyone looking for steelies, check your local dealer. They may have new-car take-offs from customers who've upgraded to alloys. They can't technically sell them as new, so they offer them as winter rims at a steep discount. I got a set of four new-car take-off steelies with new OEM plastic wheel covers (I prefer looking at plastic wheel covers to bare steel) for $200.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
First, the choice is your. Do what you like.

Items I would verify.
1. Weight. Just make sure they are not heavier than OE wheels. Extra weight can impact suspension part life.
2. Steel wheels are normally not as well balanced. Might take more weight to balance them. Uniformity (how round) might not be as good, but might not impact negatively.

LS1

Passed Driver's Ed
I had considered the weight issue but not the balance. Thank you.

First, the choice is your. Do what you like.

Items I would verify.
1. Weight. Just make sure they are not heavier than OE wheels. Extra weight can impact suspension part life.
2. Steel wheels are normally not as well balanced. Might take more weight to balance them. Uniformity (how round) might not be as good, but might not impact negatively.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Would there be any brake cooling issues? would be my question

I will take a guess.
I would think steel is not as good for brakes.
Steel has more density and likely cools slower. This heat could be transfered to disc brakes. An aluminum wheel with thin spokes likely helps dissipate heat and allows air flow. If OP is a performance guy who auto's on weekend steel might not be the best choice but would likely get the job done.
Steels have been used for decades so it is not like they do not work.