GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Can't figure out TPMS screen label "Winter tires"

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
After getting my winter tire/wheel set installed on my new '17 GSW the installation shop calibrated the TPMS and also somehow programmed in the title "Winter tires" into the MIB:

Nowhere in the manual are there instructions for doing this and I can't figure out any menu system for editing it. Did the tech program this through an OBD programming tool?

adam1991

Banned
2017 user manual. It's in the index, under...drum roll, please..."Winter Operation," under "Winter tires".

Page 201. Look at the right hand column, the "Speed restrictions" section.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
2017 user manual. It's in the index, under...drum roll, please..."Winter Operation," under "Winter tires".

Page 201. Look at the right hand column, the "Speed restrictions" section.

Wrong.

NOWHERE in my manual does it explain how to get the information display to show the text "Winter tires". Please tell me how to change the TEXT HEADER. You did not read my question.

Yes I know how to change the speed warning speed, and how to toggle it on and off, clearly that is obvious. And yes I know all about the speed ratings section of the manual (which is on a different page, in my manual, by the way). You do not have the Sportwagen manual. The manuals are tailored to each model. I will make an educated prediction that your manual says Golf GTI on the cover, not Golf Sportwagen.

Joel

Ready to race!
The shop didn't do anything.
That winter tire was always there.

It is so you can set a speed warning when you swap to winter tires.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
The shop didn't do anything.
That winter tire was always there.

It is so you can set a speed warning when you swap to winter tires.

That's great to know, thanks. But also kind of funny that owners in Southern California see that on their screens whenever they go to recalibrate their TPMS.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
It is just on all cars. It's just to remind you to not overspeed your snow tires.

Sure, I get that, but still find it interesting that VW makes that a standard part of the info system. I guess when you're selling a car in a market that has such diverse regional climates you'd have to include it in all the cars.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
Sure, I get that, but still find it interesting that VW makes that a standard part of the info system. I guess when you're selling a car in a market that has such diverse regional climates you'd have to include it in all the cars.

Imagine if someone sold a California car to someone in NY, they'd need it. It's what happens in places like the USA where the climate is so different in different parts of the country.

I set mine to 150km/h and keep it on year round just to remind me not to drive TOO fast on the highway LOL. It's a nice reminder.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Imagine if someone sold a California car to someone in NY, they'd need it. It's what happens in places like the USA where the climate is so different in different parts of the country.

I set mine to 150km/h and keep it on year round just to remind me not to drive TOO fast on the highway LOL. It's a nice reminder.

Yeah, my wife wants to use it when I'm driving so I don't go faster than she's comfortable with (which, by the way, seems to be slower every year).

adam1991

Banned
That's great to know, thanks. But also kind of funny that owners in Southern California see that on their screens whenever they go to recalibrate their TPMS.

So, after denying that it was ever there to begin with, are you NOW acknowledging that it really was there all along?

Because it was...with that label "Winter Tires" and everything.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
So, after denying that it was ever there to begin with, are you NOW acknowledging that it really was there all along?

Because it was...with that label "Winter Tires" and everything.

I never denied it was there. I only saw the TPMS screen for the first time after I got my winter wheelset installed (three days after I bought the car-- I hadn't gone through all the system menus by then), and assumed "Winter Tires" had been programmed in there by the tire tech, because it seemed illogical to me that every time you go to your TPMS screen, even in summer when you have your summer tires on, you see "Winter Tires". Once it was revealed by others (not the owner's manual!!) that "Winter Tires" is in fact hard-coded and there all the time, I accepted that as fact.