GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Piggyback Tune Boost Sensor Extension Cable

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I was trying to find a connector manufacturer who makes a female? connector shell for the boost sensor (plug D on JB1/4), and just as I was about to ask people with piggybacks to see if there were any markings on their shells that show or might help find the manufacturer, George Smooth sent me a PM saying an O2 sensor extension cable has the same connectors, and should work. I'm going to order two, and since they're 40-inches long they should make it possible to unplug your tune easily from under the hood for warranty work. Just plug the ends into each other to complete the circuit. Just make sure the problem isn't with the cables or your boost sensor. But that's up to you if you want to buy a VCDS.

George originally found another supplier (OBD Innovations) who is cheaper, but I'm having so much trouble communicating with them (no phone number, and days to get a reply by email) I'm going with USP Motorsports, who George also thought might have them.

https://www.uspmotorsports.com/Exhaust/Sensors/Secondary-Oxygen-Sensor-Extension-Harness.html

Here's the other supplier: http://www.obdinnovations.com/o2-ox...nsion-harness-for-vw-audi-golf-mk7-passat-40/

I'm going to make sure the wires are on the right pins by using an ohmmeter (1 to 1, 2 to 2, etc.) before installing them, I suggest you do the same. And put your car to sleep first.

Last edited:

Rodcollier1

Ready to race!
If a VW tech missed seeing this I would trust them changing my oil. It only takes 30 minutes to pull off a JB wiring harness with a VAG connector tool and ramps ...

'16 MK7 R Manual
Uni Stage 2, JB4, DP & BCS Exhaust

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
If a VW tech missed seeing this I would trust them changing my oil. It only takes 30 minutes to pull off a JB wiring harness with a VAG connector tool and ramps ...

'16 MK7 R Manual

What are you going to do if you break down on the road and need to be towed to a dealer? Do you carry ramps in your car?

Rodcollier1

Ready to race!
What are you going to do if you break down on the road and need to be towed to a dealer? Do you carry ramps in your car?

Nope, tow it home and take 60 minutes to take it off without ramps a JB or an ECU flash would never slip past a Tech or a Regional if there was a significant warranty claim.

'16 MK7 R Manual

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
A tech won't care if you have a relationship with them, and if you have a Dinan or JBD with Bluetooth you can set it to bypass as long as you still have battery power. I agree with with towing it home part, but can't you also carry a jack, a Torx driver and a small screwdriver in case you break down too far to tow it home?

I just don't think you'll be flagged just for having a pressure sensor extension cable.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I just don't think you'll be flagged just for having a pressure sensor extension cable.

I can see the appeal here, and also the other side of this. Just to give a theoretical, do you play ignorant when they notice and question you about it (assuming it's a serious repair and they're scrutinizing your car, and maybe you couldn't be towed to the dealer you're in a good relationship with --> on vacation maybe)?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I don't think any dealer will care, and just tell them to remove the extensions if VW sends out a field rep. The dealer will want to make the money on the repair, it's not like ODIS is going to find it.

Jack Straw

Ready to race!
I'm likely swimming against the tide here but I think the stock R is plenty fast. I understand the urge to "improve" a car by adding horsepower. I've been down that dark alley several times but lordy, these days cars cost so darned much to fix I refuse to compromise my warranty for another 40, 50, or 60 horsepower.

I'll wave at y'all as you blow past me.:D

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I'm likely swimming against the tide here but I think the stock R is plenty fast. I understand the urge to "improve" a car by adding horsepower. I've been down that dark alley several times but lordy, these days cars cost so darned much to fix I refuse to compromise my warranty for another 40, 50, or 60 horsepower.

I'll wave at y'all as you blow past me.:D

That's the whole idea with piggybacks. And the Dinan won't give you that much HP on an R, I figure 320 HP/320 pound feet, since it only adds 4 PSI but someone would need to verify. It really needs a little more to make up for summer heat.

And I checked my long term fuel trim again, stock it's 4.9. Last stock reading was 3.7. People with VCDS and any stage 1 tune, what's yours?

Also, found the ones I originally wanted from an eBay seller, https://www.ebay.com/itm/162257083869?ViewItem=&item=162257083869 $28.40 for two shipped.

If anyone wants the same ones from him on Amazon, it's ASIN B075QL199B. Same price. I should have them Monday. I'll make sure the wires are connected to the correct pins with an ohmmeter and the connectors are the right ones and report.

Last edited: