GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 2 R turbo flutter

AzielioTor

Hey guys.

Issue is in the title, I have a 2017 DSG R which is APR stage 2 (high torque) with APR intercooler, DP, and roc-euro intake. I've noticed a the turbo has been fluttering a lot lately (it is wintertime I'm assuming that plays a part). And I've heard it's not great for the turbo, but not necessarily bad for it.

Any suggestions on how to remove the flutter? It happens even on low throttle.

My thoughts were flashing down to Mid/Low torque for the winter, or getting a GFB DV+ or a GFB DVX.

Pros/Cons for the two valves? Or just flash down until spring.

Cheers guys!

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
Turbo flutter like under load(compressor surge), or flutter after throttle release? If the latter, don't worry, it's fine. I have to be applying severely low throttle to activate it when changing gears, but giving just a tad bit more throttle takes it away.

AzielioTor

Flutter under throttle release, usually around 2k-3k.

I have had the occasional (2-3 times since I got the car) when it surged while accelerating, felt so weird.

So putting a bit more throttle helps?
Say I did want to get remove the flutter, what would be the best way to achieve that?

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
It's inherent of the high torque tune from what I've gathered.

Yes, building more boost before I shift(~3,500RPM) has caused it to be non-existent. I'm not sure how it all works, but maybe the DV isn't opening as much as it should since more boost is being built down low at a lower RPM with the tune. Although, you'd think the computer could figure that out and activate the DV accordingly.

I don't think reflashing to a standard/low tq tune is worth it since you're not causing any noticeable damage to the turbo. I even checked my compressor wheel for play recently and no in/out movement or any hitting of the housing. I've been running the high torque tune for over a year now.

You may want to research a little more or speak with someone at APR and see if the less aggressive tunes will fix it. I don't intend to switch my tuning for something I can somewhat control if it bugs me.

zerocal1

Passed Driver's Ed
That's the DV releasing boost when coming throttle. If you notice it more and more, i'd have a look a the DV itself to see if it's leaking, i.e torn.

Flutter or cavitation usually happens at low RPM when there is high boost with high engine load, low RPM. It's a different sound than the DV.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
If you’re talking about flutter after lifting off throttle that’s normal, and ever since the redesign the oem dv units are rather stout. Many people have had issues running aftermarket dv’s and end up going back to stockers, I’m not saying stockers don’t fail it’s just not nearly as common as in past generations and these can generally hold up 30 psi rather easily.

If you’re talking about part throttle surging, your in boost but not full throttle, that’s compressors surge and that’s bad. While it is somewhat inherent to the tuning as when you up the boost there are part throttle acceleration conditions where essentially you’re building to much boost without being wot. Some tunes are worse than others but at minimum you should drive around it, basically don’t let it do it, give it more or less throttle, downshift etc to get out of that condition.

If you’re car is doing it at wot you have issues either mechanically or in the tuning and you’re going to break your turbo soon, it shouldn’t happen at wot, something is wrong and that’s not what is considered “acceptable” in tuned mk7s, I’d check with your tuner ASAP

italynstylion

Ready to race!
I have the turbo flutter on light or partial throttle between shifts and am pretty sure it's completely normal. I have 10k miles on a full Stage 2 setup and it's still doing great. And I have two very lengthy track sessions on the car.

If you’re talking about flutter after lifting off throttle that’s normal, and ever since the redesign the oem dv units are rather stout. Many people have had issues running aftermarket dv’s and end up going back to stockers, I’m not saying stockers don’t fail it’s just not nearly as common as in past generations and these can generally hold up 30 psi rather easily.

If you’re talking about part throttle surging, your in boost but not full throttle, that’s compressors surge and that’s bad. While it is somewhat inherent to the tuning as when you up the boost there are part throttle acceleration conditions where essentially you’re building to much boost without being wot. Some tunes are worse than others but at minimum you should drive around it, basically don’t let it do it, give it more or less throttle, downshift etc to get out of that condition.

If you’re car is doing it at wot you have issues either mechanically or in the tuning and you’re going to break your turbo soon, it shouldn’t happen at wot, something is wrong and that’s not what is considered “acceptable” in tuned mk7s, I’d check with your tuner ASAP
I have an MK7 APR Stage 1 with APR intake and AEW exhaust. I do get Surge on the throttle up. primarily on the freeway at 3k. It doesnt sound good and it impacts performance. Not sure what to do? Went to APR store and they said it was normal? Help

Aussie R

Ready to race!
I have the flutter stage 2 HO tune when releasing partial throttle which as others stated is perfectly fine.

I have had surge previously on APR stage 1 tune with r600 intake. When I added boost pipes, GFB DV+ and swapped to APR intake it was gone. Possibly the GFBdv+ fixed it as I can't see how the other mods would have affected it.

I then had it again when I went stage 2 with inlet pipe. This was fixed when I swapped to OEM+ racingline tune which I had for about 6 months.

Then at start of 2017 I went back to updated APR stage 2 tune and no surge and now have the latest HO bangs and pops tune and no surge again.

rr1santos

Ready to race!
mine is very inconsistent. at 3rd gear WOT from 3k I will get surge from 3500-4k sometimes shorter, never longer...some wot pulls its not even there.

when I try a 4th gear wot from 3k I don't get it.

i've been tuned for 15kmi now with no other issues.