GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Electronic Handbrake

Redimp

Hi All
Thanks for letting me join the forum. This has possibly been asked before but I can't find an answer. How can I stop my Golf rolling backwards on a hill start as the ehb doesn't give me long enough to engage the clutch / accelerater to find the biting point. Thank you for any possible help .

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Do you mean electronic hand brake or brake hold? The brake hold system will learn your driving style to attempt to stop this happening. Be consistent and it should adapt. The EHB will drop sooner as it has a much harder job to do before it releases.

...if it creaks, it's probably made by VAG

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Well they are both very different systems. Just lift the clutch ahead of the touching the throttle.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
steep hills with four adults in the car...& some one up your arse & the car rolls back as it releases earlier than you would if you have a manual handbrake..

That's what happened to me...thankfully quick reflexes & hit the brakes.

I have auto hold on all the time..& auto hold only hold the pressure you apply to the brakes via pedal in the system.....touch the pedal lightly the auto hold will hold lightly...

If in doubt apply the handbrake manually by lifting the chrome lever up ..that takes a second longer to disengage allowing the throttle to engage & clutch a bit better before the brakes release...

Redimp

I can't release the clutch first as it on has to release a couple of mm for the auto hold or handbreak to release . I have fast reflexes but not that lightening quick. Can I hold the electronic handbrake on until the biting point or will this burn it out ?

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
The auto hold usually doesn't release until you touch the throttle too... at least that's how it works with ours.

Yes you can hang on to the parking brake control and then let go when you're ready.

JavaGreen94

Passed Driver's Ed
I have had 3 mk7 ranging from 13 plate to 17 plate and every car hasn't released the auto hold until I touch the accelerator and have partially released clutch? I have 1 extremely steep junction I use regularly that lots of people avoid and never had an issue with it releasing early.

All of mine have held the brake until a decent amount of accelerator applied as in not just a slight touch. Clutch also has to be partially released on mine. Other wise holds it perfectly.

pcr

Ready to race!
You could try, hold the handbrake switch up, release the clutch to the bite point, then release the switch, ie. use it more like a conventional handbrake.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Looking at the Self study guides it looks like you have to have some throttle before you release the clutch fully...

old school like I was taught how to balance the car on clutch & throttle up a hill...yes if you do it severely enough & you can burn the clutch...on the older cars....but newer?....never had problems on my cars & the last one did 60,000miles plus on the original clutch...

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
It does seem that they have reduced the margins on modern clutches, in that they don't cope with as much boost increase as older cars used to. But used sensibly they should last just as long. I've never worn out a clutch, but have had clutches break..

Yes, the auto hold pretty much requires you to use a little throttle as well as lifting the clutch before it will let go, and I've had it work effectively on even quite steep slopes.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Learn proper clutch control.;)

JBR1

Passed Driver's Ed
I have read this thread with interest. I find the auto hold system is great for normal driving and am beginning to remember not to reach for the handbrake! However, I have a couple of questions, if I may. Is the parking brake a separate system to the auto hold? Are the two of similar strength or is the parking brake more powerful?

Our drive is particularly steep and, although we usually put the car into the garage at the top, which is level, we may sometimes want to leave the car on the drive temporarily. If the two systems are separate and independent, would we be well advised to engage both in that situation?

Incidentally, when we reverse out of the garage and down the drive, we need to do so very carefully as our garage doorway is barely wide enough and we don't want any expensive scrapes. I have found that I have better control of the brakes, when doing that, by disengaging the auto hold and using the foot brake to control the car's progress in reverse. Using the auto hold in that situation when applying very moderate pressure to the foot brake is very jerky.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I have read this thread with interest. I find the auto hold system is great for normal driving and am beginning to remember not to reach for the handbrake! However, I have a couple of questions, if I may. Is the parking brake a separate system to the auto hold? Are the two of similar strength or is the parking brake more powerful?

Our drive is particularly steep and, although we usually put the car into the garage at the top, which is level, we may sometimes want to leave the car on the drive temporarily. If the two systems are separate and independent, would we be well advised to engage both in that situation?

Incidentally, when we reverse out of the garage and down the drive, we need to do so very carefully as our garage doorway is barely wide enough and we don't want any expensive scrapes. I have found that I have better control of the brakes, when doing that, by disengaging the auto hold and using the foot brake to control the car's progress in reverse. Using the auto hold in that situation when applying very moderate pressure to the foot brake is very jerky.

AUTOHOLD:-
this basically remembers the last position you touched the brake pedal & locks the brake fluid in the whole braking system in this position (by using the ABS unit)...so if you "gently feather" the pedal & then take foot of the pedal the amount of brake applied will be the "gentle feather" & you can roll down a hill. Plant pedal to the floor & it will apply the same force to the "lock". If you find it annoying turn it off that's why there is a button..

Electronic Parking Brake:-
This is a lever switch which operates directly on the electric motors which are in the rear brake callipers only. Basically when you fully pull up the switch they apply full force to the rear brake discs. If you are driving along & need to do an emergency stop, you can quickly lift the EPB switch & also apply the EPB & you will stop in a very short distance...

When you get out of the car the EPB should apply automatically as shown by a red P in a circle on the dash...is car is engine off then also in to P or low gear dependent of gearbox.