GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Leaking door seals ??!!!

Marv_gti_mk7_pp

Passed Driver's Ed
Looks like rust underneath. You didn't state if the dealer cleared out the drain holes in the door. If they did not, that is most likely your problem.

I need to have a better look .

Am I right in thinking the drain holes drop directly into the rubber seal so they are not visible ?

How does the seal remove so I can see if they are blocked or not ?

Appreciate the advice ! Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paddypool

Ready to race!
So the car went in to the dealer today ! They confirmed the speaker gasket had corroded hence the water ingress , the full speaker was replaced under warranty !

Let's hope this doesn't happen again - pretty sure it happens when the back doors do not get enough use .

The drainage tube sticks together causing a blockage and build of water .

Many thanks for the advice everyone !

Have you had a windscreen replaced ?

a pain in the b*tt that you have this situation. I'd definitely get that rust situation looked at asap if under warranty.
Next stop the carpet & sound matting will start fusting & stinking the car

I too had to have speaker replaced. I believed it to be covered under warranty as I said at a garage service whilst still under warranty that i suspected a leak in rear footwell.
They didn't do anything that day, but by next service I confirmed there was a leak somewhere as I noticed water in the same footwell having had a spell of dry weather.
The garage replaced the whole speaker at the next service but were charging me labour & parts- I argued that I pointed the problem out whilst under warranty, but they wouldn't budge & they charged me €40 for the speaker:mad:
I was ripping & seeing other's had the same problem surely VW should be covering this, as they've used a faulty sealing product used around the speaker ??!

Marv_gti_mk7_pp

Passed Driver's Ed
Have you had a windscreen replaced ?

a pain in the b*tt that you have this situation. I'd definitely get that rust situation looked at asap if under warranty.
Next stop the carpet & sound matting will start fusting & stinking the car

I too had to have speaker replaced. I believed it to be covered under warranty as I said at a garage service whilst still under warranty that i suspected a leak in rear footwell.
They didn't do anything that day, but by next service I confirmed there was a leak somewhere as I noticed water in the same footwell having had a spell of dry weather.
The garage replaced the whole speaker at the next service but were charging me labour & parts- I argued that I pointed the problem out whilst under warranty, but they wouldn't budge & they charged me €40 for the speaker:mad:
I was ripping & seeing other's had the same problem surely VW should be covering this, as they've used a faulty sealing product used around the speaker ??!

Many thanks for sympathising !!!

Did the speaker fix your problem ?

No haven’t had the windscreen replaced as you say this is in the rear footwell .

I may go back to vw and say the fix you did has not fixed the issue unfortunately !

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
I need to have a better look .

Am I right in thinking the drain holes drop directly into the rubber seal so they are not visible ?

How does the seal remove so I can see if they are blocked or not ?

Appreciate the advice ! Thanks in advance

I believe you are correct that the drains are right into the seal which IMO is a terrible design. I am not sure how the seal is removed, my guess is that there are clips attached to the seal. Best bet would be to remove the door panel and have a look inside. This way, there are clips, you can push them out from the inside rather then destroying them and then having to buy new ones.

Marv_gti_mk7_pp

Passed Driver's Ed
So took the car to the dealer yesterday who confirmed the door seal had corroded and needs replacing !

Booked in Wednesday to have it fitted !

Fingers crossed problem solved !

paddypool

Ready to race!
Many thanks for sympathising !!!

Did the speaker fix your problem ?

No haven’t had the windscreen replaced as you say this is in the rear footwell .

I may go back to vw and say the fix you did has not fixed the issue unfortunately !

Hi, yes the new speaker sorted out the problem...the sealing substance around the speaker edge had a disintegrated piece about 2inches long..
Which makes me wonder about the overall quality of the materials been used:(...It's all driven towards planned obsolesce, as are all industries, sadly.

On my MK7 the cornering lights have just stopped working. I’ve had the seat massage unit replaced, the speaker leak issue, the auto dim lights stop working after a while saying the windscreen is fogged even though it’s crystal clear!
There’s only 40K on it !

My wife’s car is a 2008 MK5. She’s had it from new & it’s been well looked after, however in the last few months it’s one thing after the other.
The DSG took fits of not engaging in gear. A soft wear update may have solved it but it’s like Russian roulette every time she gets in. If it’s not that it’s the DSG control unit.
Plus the 2 back door locks have stopped working... As the saying goes, ‘They isn’t made like they used to be’ !

Marv_gti_mk7_pp

Passed Driver's Ed
After replacing speaker gaskets and door seals I’m still having this problem !

Have written to vw UK today to try and get some more information , surely the mk7’s don’t just do this ?

Considering swapping because of it !

Can anyone shed any more light on it ?

Again appreciate any responses in advance !

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
I am willing to bet the drains were not cleared out. Mine started seeping water in again, I intend to figure out where the drains and make a how to on it. However, it is winter out so have to wait for it to warm up before I dive into it.

Marv_gti_mk7_pp

Passed Driver's Ed
I am willing to bet the drains were not cleared out. Mine started seeping water in again, I intend to figure out where the drains and make a how to on it. However, it is winter out so have to wait for it to warm up before I dive into it.

Do you think ??? Convinced the water isn’t coming through the speaker gasket though ?

Can also see how it could leak directly onto the bottom of the seal to be fair .

As you say need to have a better look !

Does this ever happen on the front doors with yours ? My front door seals are perfect !

Hope your right my friend ! Nightmare of a problem ! But I don’t think we are the only ones ! Common mk7 issue , Volkswagen UK told me today they are “unaware” of the issue !

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I have a brand new MK7 and after a particularly heavy rain and windstorm last week, I also found water had breached the seals on all four doors and the rear hatch. There was water on the plastic sills. I didn't think too much of it at the time since it was an exceptional storm, but now that I've read this thread, it has me thinking there is a design flaw responsible for this. Since I've only had the car for a month, there's little chance that accumulated debris has accumulated in the drains. I had better go and check the carpets tonight and make sure they're not wet!

Marv_gti_mk7_pp

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a brand new MK7 and after a particularly heavy rain and windstorm last week, I also found water had breached the seals on all four doors and the rear hatch. There was water on the plastic sills. I didn't think too much of it at the time since it was an exceptional storm, but now that I've read this thread, it has me thinking there is a design flaw responsible for this. Since I've only had the car for a month, there's little chance that accumulated debris has accumulated in the drains. I had better go and check the carpets tonight and make sure they're not wet!

Mate I’m sorry to cause concern with your brand new mk7 !!!

It’s just a problem which shouldn’t occur !

I’ve made the point to VW that much much cheaper cars do not have this silly issue .

Be interesting to let us know if yours does the same from brand new ?!

I

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Do you think ??? Convinced the water isn’t coming through the speaker gasket though ?

Can also see how it could leak directly onto the bottom of the seal to be fair .

As you say need to have a better look !

Does this ever happen on the front doors with yours ? My front door seals are perfect !

Hope your right my friend ! Nightmare of a problem ! But I don’t think we are the only ones ! Common mk7 issue , Volkswagen UK told me today they are “unaware” of the issue !

I am not sure if this is the case, but I am pretty sure my speaker seals are fine and last time this happened the dealer had cleared out the drain holes in the door and all was well.

How long did the car sit on the dealer lot? Doesn't take much to clog a small hole.

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I am not sure if this is the case, but I am pretty sure my speaker seals are fine and last time this happened the dealer had cleared out the drain holes in the door and all was well.

How long did the car sit on the dealer lot? Doesn't take much to clog a small hole.

Build date is 5/17. Car purchased 1/29/2018. How long does it take from build to dealer? Most lots don't have trees or debris to clog drains, I would imagine.

Marv_gti_mk7_pp

Passed Driver's Ed
Finally booked back in at the dealer !

Starting to think is the door buckled ??