GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Firestone Indy 500 tire.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Question - thinking of going with these guys on my new Konig Hypergrams 18x8.5 et43. Thoughts on best size(s) for mainly (>95%) DD with a few track days sprinkled in?

Either the stock 225/40-18 or a 235/40-18 up size if you want a squarer sidewall profile. Either are fine.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Thanks man - would being lowered on VWR springs change your answer at all?

No problem. Unless you're really low (and then you'd have other issues) in general that wheel spec and tire size are very safe.

https://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

Based on that site comparing factory 18s, your new wheels are going to push out 11mm from stock fitment, which is less front and rear than a "flush" wheel spacer kit.

afman916

Ready to race!
No problem. Unless you're really low (and then you'd have other issues) in general that wheel spec and tire size are very safe.

https://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

Based on that site comparing factory 18s, your new wheels are going to push out 11mm from stock fitment, which is less front and rear than a "flush" wheel spacer kit.

Good deal, appreciate the advice. Last question - at a difference of $30/tire, or $120 total, are 235s worth it? I read through the thread so I know the main claims to fame for the 235 is increased contact patch, better wheel protection, more comfortable ride....but are the increases exponential or marginal compared to 225s?

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Good deal, appreciate the advice. Last question - at a difference of $30/tire, or $120 total, are 235s worth it? I read through the thread so I know the main claims to fame for the 235 is increased contact patch, better wheel protection, more comfortable ride....but are the increases exponential or marginal compared to 225s?

Sure thing!

On the difference between sizes... I'm not even on the fence here. For $30 difference per tire, per Tire Racks specs 1 pound less per tire, and if you're going to do some track days and appreciate better steering feel, get the 225/40s.

That's my preference at least. The increase in contact patch is negligible, the more comfortable ride might not be the case because their 235/40 bumps up the load rating which usually means stiffer sidewalls, but to your point about wheel protection a 235/40 would have more meat potentially outside of the wheel's lip.

You'll be fine either way, but I'd choose the 225/40.

Also for the "it's gonna be super stretched!" folks: http://www.golfmkv.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1357094&postcount=4

Not the same tire, not the same wheel, but that's 100% representative of what the combination will look like. 235/40 will be square.

Last edited:

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
245/40/17 people here? anyone??
My PSS's are done, got 1 year out of them. Was running 225/45/17. No traction currently until 70mph, need larger contact patch :-(

dood.

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG

2SlowNoMo

Ready to race!
Pics of my Indy's 245/40 on 18x8.5. did the fender screw mod and fits fine lowered on ED springs

Attachments

• GTI wheels 1.jpg
    GTI wheels 1.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 2,422
  • GTI wheels 3.jpg
    GTI wheels 3.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 1,465
  • GTI wheels 2.jpg
    GTI wheels 2.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 1,396

afman916

Ready to race!
...and if you're going to do some track days and appreciate better steering feel, get the 225/40s.

The above is the only point on which I'm still waffling when it comes to 225 vs 235. I do like the look and added protection of a meatier tire, but I'm on 225s now and not sure how much the steering feel would change. Could someone please school me a bit on what difference I would feel in DD/spirited mountain road driving? Or real world experiences between the two sizes? Would like to make a purchase soon as my Konigs are on the way (but could probably wait a month if ya'll think there will be some super Black Friday sale?).

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
The above is the only point on which I'm still waffling when it comes to 225 vs 235. I do like the look and added protection of a meatier tire, but I'm on 225s now and not sure how much the steering feel would change. Could someone please school me a bit on what difference I would feel in DD/spirited mountain road driving? Or real world experiences between the two sizes? Would like to make a purchase soon as my Konigs are on the way (but could probably wait a month if ya'll think there will be some super Black Friday sale?).

Well I might take back everything I said simply because the Indy 500 tire seems to be pretty damn narrow! Look at the pics above your post, if that's 245/40-18 and it's still *just* square, there's no way a 225 or 235 is going to be anywhere near square to protect the rim, so that's a non-issue considering just those 2 sizes.

Steering feel increases with a bit of stretch because you have less sidewall flex because it's already "tensioned". You're not going to have the tire flexing outside of the rim in corners which can feel loose and sloppy. Steering would feel more direct and accurate because you're not dealing with as much tire flex. Are you going to notice it? Maybe, but because this tire seems to have a narrow profile a 225/40 might look more stretched than you want.

The two wheels on the right are 18x8.5 with 225/40-18 Pilot Cup 2 tires, and they don't look *that* stretched compared to a 245/40-18 in the post above.

This is a set of 225/40-18 Indy 500s on an 18x8! And look at the sidewall:

Quebster

Autocross Newbie
They do seem to run narrow. I put 245's on my 18x8.5" wheels and my rims are all chipped up from rocks because it protrudes slightly from the tire. I'm actually considering trying 255 Firehawks.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
They do seem to run narrow. I put 245's on my 18x8.5" wheels and my rims are all chipped up from rocks because it protrudes slightly from the tire. I'm actually considering trying 255 Firehawks.

With that profile, a 255/35-18 would probably be the only way to get some meat on there. That's adding some tire weight though.

Also I think the tires on the GTI above are the Wide Ovals not the 500s, but I'm not sure that changes anything.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Pics of my Indy's 245/40 on 18x8.5. did the fender screw mod and fits fine lowered on ED springs
Since for some reason I can't find any information on the subject, what is the "fender screw mod". I always see it mentioned but nobody ever says what it is

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion