GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 GTI vs 16' Dodge Charger RT

flymkvi

Ready to race!
GTI: only mod is APR Stage 1 High Torque, with stock intake mods

Charger: Stock, some sort of aftermarket exhaust

Taking a right turn onto a major roadway, he ends up behind me about 1.5 car lengths and I hear his loud exhaust going WOT. I had been waiting in 2nd at 3500rpm and when I heard him punch it I did the same. I pulled until the end of second gear and a little of third and at this point the 1.5 car length turned into about 3.5. There was absolutely no sign of him catching up ... I was just casually pulling away. Ended up doing another pull with the same result. He complained about how heavy his car is (true fact), but a loss is a loss my friend. Buy a lighter car next time. 370hp isn't really what it sounds like when your car is 4200lbs.

Win.

lokerola

Ready to race!
Had a 2011 Charger R/T. Maybe not tunable to be as fast as a GTI, but still the instant torque off the line was addictive. I can't just punch it from a dead stop in the GTI, but in the R/T you could hit it hard off the line every time with no spool up, no drama, just mash it and rip. Fun car.

Zx2man

Ready to race!
Yeah positives and negs to whatever you drive. Ive killed few chargers and challengers and other rwd muscle in my modded up fwd cars on the hwy. But ive also enjoyee myself feeling that instant tq and push in the seat that a rwd and awd car can give you from a dead stop.

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
Yea, you would need stage 1 to roll past an R/T, GTIs stock will keep up with the 300hp V6. Stage 2 would allow GTIs to pull on 392s, a sedan that costs double the GTI. (and in fuel costs)

Although this is all from a roll...even still an one could still buy an R + Stage 2 Tune for less than a 392 while still getting much better fuel economy. Some people must really like chargers, and more power to them!

vincevtr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Yea, you would need stage 1 to roll past an R/T, GTIs stock will keep up with the 300hp V6. Stage 2 would allow GTIs to pull on 392s, a sedan that costs double the GTI. (and in fuel costs)

Although this is all from a roll...even still an one could still buy an R + Stage 2 Tune for less than a 392 while still getting much better fuel economy. Some people must really like chargers, and more power to them!

i think majority of muscle car buyers are ignorant to the power/weight thing that they just buy whatever has high numbers and/or looks the baddest, more like a status thing

miked617

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
21 VW GTI
i think majority of muscle car buyers are ignorant to the power/weight thing that they just buy whatever has high numbers and/or looks the baddest, more like a status thing
This!!!

I wanted to pass one on the highway the other day. The guy had other plans because he floored it to prevent me from passing. Well i floored it as well and went right around him. The look on his face was priceless!

vincevtr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
This!!!

I wanted to pass one on the highway the other day. The guy had other plans because he floored it to prevent me from passing. Well i floored it as well and went right around him. The look on his face was priceless!

ah thats the kind i hate right there, too insecure to let an econobox pass their muscle car even though no one is racing eachother. the same people who will go "thats only 2.0L? theres no way its faster than my 5.7L my engine is so much bigger and has twice the cylinders"

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Turbos and weight make monster differences. Some people just need to be re-educated :)

chiefhiawatha

Ready to race!
ah thats the kind i hate right there, too insecure to let an econobox pass their muscle car even though no one is racing eachother. the same people who will go "thats only 2.0L? theres no way its faster than my 5.7L my engine is so much bigger and has twice the cylinders"

And they’re almost always right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

vincevtr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
And they’re almost always right.

Maybe 20 years ago. with the amount of force induction cars nowadays the size of the engine tells us a lot less about the cars performance than it would in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chiefhiawatha

Ready to race!
Maybe 20 years ago. with the amount of force induction cars nowadays the size of the engine tells us a lot less about the cars performance than it would in the past.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love my gti but a charger rt left in the dust by it? I doubt it