GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS38 Port & Polish Or Not?

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Your typical turbo car has an exhaust manifold, we don't. Our turbos bolt directly to the head.
Ya I understand that I just forget what to call it

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Deviation01

Go Kart Champion
IS38's have been shown to have balancing issues from the factory

Yes that is true and a turbo shop also said balancing wont help if the turbo is going. No one knows why the is20 or 38 turbos fail.

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
The IS38 balance is not the main reason why they go.

They go for a few reasons. One is oil starvation and other is the weak shaft and shitty bearings & just weak components used from factory etc

That's about it. Paying for balance won't do much by itself. It won't suddenly allow you to run 32PSI vs. the norm of 27-29PSI. When the shaft snaps it's not because the balance was off. How you spool the turbo and tuning play an important part in turbo longevity.

If you don't want it to break than for example, peak later in RPM range and don't go past 26PSI. That will do more than simply balancing it.

Deviation01

Go Kart Champion

They go for a few reasons. One is oil starvation and other is the weak shaft and shitty bearings & just weak components used from factory etc

That's about it. Paying for balance won't do much by itself. It won't suddenly allow you to run 32PSI vs. the norm of 27-29PSI. When the shaft snaps it's not because the balance was off. How you spool the turbo and tuning play an important part in turbo longevity.

If you don't want it to break than for example, peak later in RPM range and don't go past 26PSI. That will do more than simply balancing it.

Or get the South American/African Passat revision f is38....It peaks 29 psi and still lives :) knock on wood.

TDI Matt

Ready to race!

So is 26 the magic number that should keep it together?

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
So is 26 the magic number that should keep it together?

Not at all lol. Just an example of something you can do to attempt to keep your turbo from going. If it decides to go due to: elevation, poor tuning, oil failure etc there is nothing you can do. A balance isn't going to do shit.

There are some perceived guidelines of how to keep your turbo "safe" but nothing is a for sure garuntee with these things.

If you are say running JB4 reach out to George he has a good understanding of what the limits are in that platform for example and what to set your map to for a "SAFE" level of power.

Last edited:

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Not at all lol. Just an example of something you can do to attempt to keep your turbo from going. If it decides to go due to: elevation, poor tuning, oil failure etc there is nothing you can do. A balance isn't going to do shit.

There are some perceived guidelines of how to keep your turbo "safe" but nothing is a for sure garuntee with these things.

If you are say running JB4 reach out to George he has a good understanding of what the limits are in that platform for example and what to set your map to for a "SAFE" level of power.
I agree to disagree. Your 100% right about the above but the balancing can and will help. If it's out of balance it can and will cause premature wear like with anything that's out of balance. Imo

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
I agree to disagree. Your 100% right about the above but the balancing can and will help. If it's out of balance it can and will cause premature wear like with anything that's out of balance. Imo

If you goal is to attempt to prevent wear by all means. If you goal is to prevent turbo shaft snap, iunno.

The fact that balanced turbos have blown kinda turned me off from the whole thing. Also, some people even claimed balancing caused more issues than they solved due to the need to take the turbo apart and to reinstall etc (not me, but others have claimed such things).

Last edited:

Deviation01

Go Kart Champion

Yet a turbo shop says balancing will not save these turbos. Roid is right, that there have been balanced turbos that have blown right away. Once you mess with something that has been tested (because I do believe these turbos are tested before shipped to said dealer) even if it is balancing it might make it go prematurely. Balancing will not help you end of story. It might make your wallet lighter and make you feel safe on the inside but in the end its all about tuning and other factors like oil starvation and heat.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Yet a turbo shop says balancing will not save these turbos. Roid is right, that there have been balanced turbos that have blown right away. Once you mess with something that has been tested (because I do believe these turbos are tested before shipped to said dealer) even if it is balancing it might make it go prematurely. Balancing will not help you end of story. It might make your wallet lighter and make you feel safe on the inside but in the end its all about tuning and other factors like oil starvation and heat.
I agree if it's gonna go it's gonna nothing anyone can do. But I personally will take my chances with a properly balance turbo than unbalanced. I guess maybe it will give me peace of mind.

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
Ugh, I’m nervous now I’d think someone like g pop would know why by now. I’ll call them up once my turbo arrives.

Dont worry about it. I'm sure the balancing wont do you any harm. Just still be safe with your turbo if you care about longevity and don't think you are invincible.

Don't go getting a tune that has your duty waste cycle maxed and closed 24/7 or closes super fast to shorten spool times etc etc.

Shoutout to Wy2lo for schooling my ass on turbos etc lol.

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
I agree if it's gonna go it's gonna nothing anyone can do. But I personally will take my chances with a properly balance turbo than unbalanced. I guess maybe it will give me peace of mind.

Peace of mind is good to have. But don't have this false sense of security because again, balancing isn't what is killing these turbos.

TDI Matt

Ready to race!
Sounds good, I just don’t know what the limit in terms of psi. Eurodyne seems prettt safe based off of curves I’ve seen.

Like my IS20 “they say” don’t go over 25-26psi so that’s where it lives.