GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Official Unofficial E85 Ethanol Thread

Carbohydrate

Passed Driver's Ed
I usually wait until gas is extemely low before filling. I usually go 3 gallons, then next fill 2.5, then next 2. Then I bump back up to 3 and this seems to work well for me. There isn't an exact science way to determine what's in the tank that's why I run it down each time.

Somewhere in this thread is a spreadsheet that you can use with a formula to track your E %. Probably not exact but gives a ballpark.

Thanks man, hey I’m going to boch theater in Boston Thursday, is it going to be hard to find e85 stations?

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Thanks man, hey I’m going to boch theater in Boston Thursday, is it going to be hard to find e85 stations?

As I recall the service plaza's on the Mass. Pike have e85. I haven't been through there in a a year or so but I would guess it will not be hard to find.

miked617

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
21 VW GTI
Not if you stop at shell on memorial drive in Cambridge. Its right off the pike as you come east. $2.99 a gallon.

Carbohydrate

Passed Driver's Ed
Not if you stop at shell on memorial drive in Cambridge. Its right off the pike as you come east. $2.99 a gallon.

Awesome man thanks a bunch, added it my route!

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
So I ended up ordering the pr stage 3 kit with the 274 pump instead. PR customer service is awsome. Below email was a reply from PR sales when I had questions regarding the 267 and 274 pumps.

The F90000274 and F90000267 are mechanically the same pump.* The only difference between the two is the pressure relief valve built into the pump that sits right under the wiring where it attaches to the pump. This difference allows the F90000274 to be able to run in higher pressure applications without running into pressure relief issues.*

We offer the kit with both F90000274 and F90000267 depending on inventory levels with Walbro either pump will work fine for the car.* We have more experience and more pump options for this car than any other supplier on the market and actually supply products to VTT.

We have dual pump systems, line sets, pressure regulators, etc for this car that are not available on website but we are currently selling in limited volume and have been tested and used by United Motorsports and others.

Regardless of what anyone tell you, you do need flash changes in the ECU or you will fry the control module end of story that is why others did the Walbro 305 and not the 450 in the first place.*

We have 200 F90000274 coming in next week so if you prefer your kit with this pump that is not a problem they are the same pump other than pressure release valve and cost the same for us to buy.

Best regards,

PR Sales Team

Vargasturbotech

Ready to race!
So I ended up ordering the pr stage 3 kit with the 274 pump instead. PR customer service is awsome. Below email was a reply from PR sales when I had questions regarding the 267 and 274 pumps.
There you go! Cannot go wrong with PR stuff, smart move on the 274. The 267 is the wrong pump for this application 100%, and honestly should not even be offered. Also not to argue with Robert, but with the PFS pump you 100% do not need ANY flash changes, and you will NOT burn up the stock controller.

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
So got the PR Stage 3 lpfp kit with the 274 pump installed a few days ago. Jon has made some tweaks on the tune for the new pump and has assured me it will work fine with stock controller. So far so good. Will hit up the strip in a few weeks to see if this will fix the issue with my car cutting out in the top end of the 1/4 mile.

pieguy

Ready to race!
So got the PR Stage 3 lpfp kit with the 274 pump installed a few days ago. Jon has made some tweaks on the tune for the new pump and has assured me it will work fine with stock controller. So far so good. Will hit up the strip in a few weeks to see if this will fix the issue with my car cutting out in the top end of the 1/4 mile.

Awesome. Glad Jon can make the setup work. In that case, could you potentially run full e85 and run an e50 or higher tune?

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
Awesome. Glad Jon can make the setup work. In that case, could you potentially run full e85 and run an e50 or higher tune?

I've heard that there are no benefits to running more than 50-60% ethanol on the IS38 so I'm probably going to stick to E50. I'm just entrusting my tuner in keeping the stock controller in tact but time will tell if this really will be the case.

pieguy

Ready to race!
I've heard that there are no benefits to running more than 50-60% ethanol on the IS38 so I'm probably going to stick to E50. I'm just entrusting my tuner in keeping the stock controller in tact but time will tell if this really will be the case.

Did you do the Stage 3 LPFP install yourself? It seems harder than I expected needing to cut back the plastic with a dremel.

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
Did you do the Stage 3 LPFP install yourself? It seems harder than I expected needing to cut back the plastic with a dremel.

I didn't have a dremel and suck at modifying stuff so had a local guy do the install for an affordable price. It took longer then what the instrunctions said it would take since it was the first time he did it and some of the instructions were vague but since his done it already it should be easier for him the second time.

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie

So update. Its been 3 weeks since pump has been installed and controller is still fine but have been having intermittent cel associated with pump. Jon has been working to get it sorted but still no luck. So id hold off in installing a 450 pump if running 5150 tune until he figures it out. Torqbyte and UM tune are only solutions for 450 pump so far. Jon is determined to figure this oit though but im thinking of switching to smaller 305 pump for now.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
So update. Its been 3 weeks since pump has been installed and controller is still fine but have been having intermittent cel associated with pump. Jon has been working to get it sorted but still no luck. So id hold off in installing a 450 pump if running 5150 tune until he figures it out. Torqbyte and UM tune are only solutions for 450 pump so far. Jon is determined to figure this oit though but im thinking of switching to smaller 305 pump for now.

Thanks for update PacDawg!