GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Free 6MT mod (part deux): clutch pedal spring removal

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
I have a GSW 6sp, is this actual feel or more placebo because you've modded the car?

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet using Tapatalk

I'd have to say it is actual feel. Do it yourself, takes literally a minute to do. Go for a test drive around your house, if you don't like it hook the spring back up(will take you another 60 seconds to do).

K_C

Passed Driver's Ed
I'd have to say it is actual feel. Do it yourself, takes literally a minute to do. Go for a test drive around your house, if you don't like it hook the spring back up(will take you another 60 seconds to do).
Definitely feel. I did this one before swapping out the clutch bleeder block. Doing this one stiffens up the clutch. Not a ton, but imo in stock form the clutch felt way too easy. Doing the bleeder block mod or swapping it out gets rid of the vagueness. Together you end up with a really nice clutch feel.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

hooville

Go Kart Newbie
Doing this when my BMS clutch stops arrives, probably tomorrow. Thanks for this thread!

I haven't touched the bleeder valve yet. I figure I will do the easiest to reverse changes to the clutch first, before touching anything with the hydraulics. That is sort of why I will get the ECS bleeder block instead of modifying the OE, juuuust in case I don't like it.

FYI, it is just as simple to replace the clutch delay valve as it is to remove it, so also an easy mod to reverse if you don't like it.

CDavis7M

Passed Driver's Ed
I did this today. You can definitely notice that the pedal is heavier. The spring removal combined with the clutch bleeder diaphragm removal makes the clutch respond much better under heavy throttle.

ashiun

Ready to race!
I did this mod and literally felt no difference in pedal weight, only that it comes up faster. More feel without heaviness.

I went from stock clutch to DIY TTRS/RSR clutch and got CDV deleted at the same time. Felt heavier for a day or two, then feels like stock now. I can't even say that it's 10% heavier, but maybe I just got used to it... dunno. I did get used to my friend's STI clutch in a day and was surprised by how light my GTI clutch at the end of the day.

Now that I deleted the spring I was expecting it to get heavy, but nope. Clutch + spring + CDV delete and it's basically stock. Excellent for my DD in traffic... but call me slightly disappointed? :p

bossbrew

Passed Driver's Ed
Just reviving this, as I pulled the spring this weekend. Better clutch feel, but no extra heaviness. For daily driving, it's a must!

Cheers :)

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
I felt more doing this mod than the cdv deleted block and proper technique. This is truly a must and I wish this would get more attention as this stupid spring is the reason mk7 clutches feel so synthetic.

augiec

Passed Driver's Ed
Had this done with a new Sachs SRE clutch and LOVE the organic feel of the clutch when pulling out. It feels so much more natural to me. I don't feel like I HAVE to ride the clutch to pull out smoothly.

I can basically rev the engine just above idle and as I let the clutch out I can feed in revs slowly and smoothly and just let the clutch out without hesitation. VERY little riding of the clutch, which is where the vast majority of wear comes from.

TBH: I can't see why everyone wouldn't do this. It is so much better. LOVE it!

I was reading this (a bit late to the party admittedly), and this post is the first one I feel I can relate to. I'll give it a shot tonight after work.

Anyone else have an issue with the shifter not being very smooth from 1st to 2nd? That's my biggest pet peeve about the gti when coming from honda manual transmissions. I just feel like the shifting between those two gears has this added impediment, especially when compared to the other gears. Not sure how to address the issue, so I've lived with it for 4 yrs :p

Mathuemc

Passed Driver's Ed
Anyone else have an issue with the shifter not being very smooth from 1st to 2nd? That's my biggest pet peeve about the gti when coming from honda manual transmissions. I just feel like the shifting between those two gears has this added impediment, especially when compared to the other gears. Not sure how to address the issue, so I've lived with it for 4 yrs :p

There are a ton of comments like this across various threads. People claim removing this spring and the CDV help, but you will also see people blame the gearing ratios of the car. With such a big difference between 1-2, people say you either have to shift around 2000rpm or go up to 4000rpm to get a smooth shift.

RecycledDonuts

Ready to race!
Welp...another project for today.

wy0j

Passed Driver's Ed
Link to first free 6mt mod thread: Free MT6 wonder mod: OEM bleeder delay removal

This is a mod that I have read about on the "other" forum and I think I've seen it mentioned on this forum once. I did not come up with this mod and am not taking credit for it. I think it is worthy of its own thread to get the attention that I feel this easy mod deserves.

What:
Clutch pedal spring removal. There is a spring attached to the top left side of the clutch pedal that assists in pulling the clutch back towards the firewall. Removing this spring makes the clutch pedal feel more firm.

Why: By having the spring make it easier to move the clutch pedal towards the firewall, it makes clutch engagement feel weak and vague. I have also noticed when shifting fast, especially at higher RPMs, the clutch pedal felt like it was barely keeping up with my foot moving back out. Removing this spring makes the feel of the clutch engagement more precise and the clutch pedal never feels like it lags behind anymore.

How:
First I want to point out that this is an incredibly easy mod to do and is just as easy to reverse. I highly recommend anyone who has a 6MT to at least give it a try.

Tools needed;
1. T20 Torx
2. Needle nose pliers
3. Opposable thumbs (optional)

Steps;
1. Engage Parking Brake.
2. Unscrew T20 size torx screw from panel to left of clutch pedal that is near OBDII port. Pull panel forward to remove. This step gives clear view and easier access to spring.
3. Locate clutch pedal spring by looking on the top left side of pedal. The spring should be easily visible when looking somewhat upwards. (There is a larger spring that is enclosed that you push against. This spring is harder to see unless you really get under the dash. It is NOT this spring.)
4. Push clutch pedal in with one hand to remove tension off of spring. With other hand use needle nose pliers to remove spring.
5. Use opposable thumbs where necessary.

Enjoy! :D
Does this work on 5mt also? (2016 GSW)

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion

bowman216

Just did this mod. I had already done the ECS bleeder block awhile back. I instantly noticed clutch chatter at idle. Goes away once the clutch is pressed in. Anyone else experience this?

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
Just did this mod about 5 minutes ago. Took all of 1 minute to do with just my fingers and wow what a great mod. The clutch engagement point is more defined and the clutch pedal feels heavier now, which I prefer.

Last edited: