GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Whining Noise from Engine Bay

Knack

Passed Driver's Ed
It was NOT the A/C or Alt. makes the same noise with the belt off. Also, It has been whining like this for about 40,000 miles. I'm at 59,950 now it started around 20,000.

I also checked the turbo shaft play and it also seems fine. HP fuel pump?

SRoads

Ready to race!
Bad soundaktor. Unplug it under the rain tray or turn it off with vagcom or odb11...see if the noise goes away. WOW...it's been doing this for 40K and you haven't done anything? Defiantly not the turbo then.

Last edited:

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
We don't have power steering fluid or pump. sigh....RTM!!!! (Read the Manual)

My manual says we have 2 power steering pumps... one controls the wheel when you turn it left and the other controls the wheel when you turn it right...

SRoads

Ready to race!
My manual says we have 2 power steering pumps... one controls the wheel when you turn it left and the other controls the wheel when you turn it right...

Then please show me where you add the fluid under the hood for these two pumps and show me where the pumps are in the attached diagram....anyway. So this doesnt get burried and many help the starter of the thread.....

Bad soundaktor. Unplug it under the rain tray or turn it off with vagcom or odb11...see if the noise goes away. WOW...it's been doing this for 40K and you haven't done anything? Defiantly not the turbo then.

Attachments

• power_steering2__large.jpg
    power_steering2__large.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 1,299
Last edited:

SpoolDude

Passed Driver's Ed
I had a whine on my '15 that I had. At first, they replaced the turbo under warranty. I still heard a whirring noise, altho quieter after it was replaced, and was told it was coming from inside the engine. The engine had 30k on it. After a couple of weeks of having the car, trying to diagnose the problem, they decided to throw in a new engine. Shortly after, i decided I wanted blue instead of carbon grey lol

PerceivedShift

Autocross Champion
I've had a whine from the engine since the car was new, most noticable in 4th gear around 2k RPM. Currently at 23k miles, might run it by the dealer soon though just to make sure it is nothing serious.

Mk7GTl

Go Kart Champion
Then please show me where you add the fluid under the hood for these two pumps and show me where the pumps are in the attached diagram....anyway. So this doesnt get burried and many help the starter of the thread.....

LOL did you seriously believe me? Since when did cars ever have two pumps for the wheel turned left and right? :D

Knack

Passed Driver's Ed
Pretty sure I found the issue. It was really hard to tell where the sound was coming from but I am 99% sure it is the water pump. Taking it back the stealership soon.

Santiago1

I've had a whine from the engine since the car was new, most noticable in 4th gear around 2k RPM. Currently at 23k miles, might run it by the dealer soon though just to make sure it is nothing serious.

I have the exact same problem with my car (2017, gti pp, 11000 km). It whines in 3rd and also in 4th gear at around 2000 rpm. I took it to my dealer and they replaced the turbo but the problem is still there. Did you solve this problem?

Knack

Passed Driver's Ed
No, they haven't fixed anything. Mine does it in all gears and all rpms. Sounds a little like a jet engine. It is not the turbo in my case, as I can hear the turbo spool separate from the louder whining. Replacing the water pump did not fix it, it has to be IN the engine.

The mechanic keeps stressing how hard this could be to figure out, like it is my problem to figure out. :mad:

RRF985

Passed Driver's Ed
No, they haven't fixed anything. Mine does it in all gears and all rpms. Sounds a little like a jet engine. It is not the turbo in my case, as I can hear the turbo spool separate from the louder whining. Replacing the water pump did not fix it, it has to be IN the engine.

The mechanic keeps stressing how hard this could be to figure out, like it is my problem to figure out. :mad:

Has there been a result in the past couple months? I've just started noticing a whine on mine very similar to yours. It's definitely not the turbo and can be heard in gear or in neutral by revving the engine. Mine doesn't make sound until over 3k RPM however. Just looking for an update before I mention this to a dealer.

buccad

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2015 GTI Autobahn
Any update on this? It sounds like the noise I’ve been experiencing. Is it just DSG amplified by mounts?

daujin_mk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI DSG
For DSG guys, I saw this comment on Tin Can's youtube page (associated with BMP Tuning. He said "The transmission is starting to give out however. 4th gear has developed a muffled whining indicating premature excessive gear wear."

Could this be the issue?

https://youtu.be/sYI2GthGBFk