GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How did you bed in your brakes?

Turbo V

Ready to race!
So there are numerous threads about engine break-in. How about advice on bedding in brakes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
The best thing to do is normal driving.
Try not to do 100% braking effort stops.
Avoid high speed heavy braking.
Avoid long braking, like going down a long hill and riding the brakes all the way.
I think for about 500 miles is good but 1000 miles like your engine break in is also good.

Just drive normal and try to avoid performance driving until after this time.

Others will say drive it like you stole it , but as you asked the question I take it you want to do the cautious thing and break it in some.:rolleyes: This is what I will do.

Last edited:

artargyle

Ready to race!
Bedding procedure via Brembo Italy. Very clear & worth doing

I have followed theses steps in all cars I have had w/ BBK's

.."It is very important to follow proper brake bedding procedure following installation. This is necessary not only for optimum performance of the system, but also to avoid onset of judder (vibration felt through brake and steering).
The discs are delivered with a thin zinc coating to prevent corrosion. Prior to beginning the bedding procedure, this plating must be removed from the braking surfaces by driving the car slowly (under 30mph) and performing very light brake applications in order to remove the plating without generating heat. With too much heat or pedal pressure, this plating can be deposited unevenly on the disc, and impregnated into the pad, further increasing the likelihood of judder development. Once a visual inspection of the braking surfaces confirms that the plating has been evenly removed, begin with the bedding procedure as specified below.
• Drive vehicle to a remote area and perform at least 30 brake applications of 3 second duration. Use light/ medium deceleration with varying starting speeds. Leave at least 1⁄2 mile between each brake application
• The purpose of this procedure is to gradually increase the temperature in the components without thermal shock, and to mate the brake pad and disc friction surfaces
• After the repeated stops, drive the vehicle for several miles with little or no braking in order to adequately cool the components
• The system is now ready for normal use....."

Check out Brembo's e\website

fischgrape

Passed Driver's Ed
Great detail!

Dang! That is a wonderful, fully-explained method. I will be doing this within a week to my '15 LSG fun-machine!

Looking at that last sentence, I hope that I don't get banned from the forum (it sounds kinda dirty).

Turbo V

Ready to race!
Thank you everyone. I take it that these brakes are similar style to brembos then? Nice to know I can do either method

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EB2429

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTi 7.5
I wouldn't use use the bedding in process from a specific manufacturer to bed in brakes from another unless I was sure the compound and manufacturing process was the same. I have used the brembo process but only on brembo.

Normal use without anything excessive is all is required Imo for the standard road car factory fit brake.

Last edited:

artargyle

Ready to race!
I have never had issues.....

I have actually never had issues except w/ Ferodo ds2500 pads. I love these pads, my all time favorite for top-class pedal modulation & feedback.
The Ferodo's will damage the rotors if not bedded carefully. Sadly I found this out on my E46 M3 track car. Therefore I always defer to the Brembo method which is basically just common sense.

I really like the R brakes & had a nice track experience w/ them. Just fine!!

doc2

I haven't picked up the R yet, but when I put a StopTech BBK on my GTI, I followed their rec's more or less. (It may be overkill for our purposes on a street car, but then again, the R is kinda agro....)

Per StopTech:
"For a typical performance brake system using race pads, the bed-in procedure must be somewhat more aggressive, as higher temperatures need to be reached, in order to bring certain brands of pad material up to their full race potential.
We typically recommend a set of ten partial braking events, from 60mph down to 10mph, followed immediately by three or four partial braking events, from 80mph down to 10mph. Alternately, a set of eleven stops, from 80mph to 40mph, or a set of seven stops, from 100mph to 50mph, would be approximately the same. As with street pads, each of the partial braking events should achieve moderate-to-high deceleration (about 80% of the deceleration required to lock up the brakes and/or to engage the ABS), and they should be made one after the other, without allowing the brakes to cool in between.
Again, depending on the make-up of the pad material, the brake friction will seem to gain slightly in performance, and will then lose or fade somewhat about halfway through the first set of stops. This does not indicate that the brakes are bedded-in, except where race-ready pads are being used. This phenomenon is the same as that which occurs with high-performance or street pads (except that, when race-ready pads are used, they do not exhibit green fade, and they will be bedded-in after just one complete set of stops).
As when bedding-in any set of brakes, care should be taken regarding the longer stopping distance necessary with incompletely bedded pads. This first set of stops in the bed-in process is only complete when the recommended number of stops has been performed - not before. As a general rule, it would be better to perform additional stops, than not enough. The system should then be allowed to cool, by driving the vehicle at the highest safe speed for the circumstances, without bringing it to a complete stop with the brakes still applied.
After cooling the vehicle, a second set of the recommended number of stops should be performed, followed by another cooling exercise. In some situations, a third set is beneficial, but two are normally sufficient.
Racers will note that, when a pad is bedded-in properly, there will be approximately 2mm (0.1 inch) of the pad edge near the rotor, on which the paint will have turned to ash, or the color of the pad will have changed to look as though it has been overheated.
In summary, the key to successfully bedding-in performance brakes is to bring the pads up to their operating temperature range, in a controlled manner, and to keep them there long enough to start the pad material transfer process. Different brake system designs, pad types, and driving conditions require different procedures to achieve a successful bed-in. The procedures recommended above should provide a useful starting point for developing bed-in procedures appropriate to individual applications."

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
That's what I did on my '07 GTI StopTech BBK kit.

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
StopTech BBK Bed-In

The following is from the StopTech BBK installation guide:

BED-IN BRAKE SYSTEM
IMPORTANT: lt is recommended that bedding be done off-street. StopTech does not endorse speeding on public roads. lf going above the legal speed limit, do so at your own risk. Always choose an area that is safe and clear of traffic.

Bed-in of rotors and pads is critical to the optimum performance of your new brakes. When bedding-in new parts, you are not only heat-cycling the pads, you are also depositing a layer of pad material onto the rotor face. lf not bedded-in properly at the start, an uneven layer of pad material may be deposited onto the rotor, later causing vibration. Most instances of what
people believe to be a "warped" rotor is actually caused by this uneven pad deposition.

A moderate braking effort is needed to properly bed-in rotors and pads. lf ABS intervention or lockup were represented as 100% brake effort, a stopping force of approximately 70-80%, short of ABS intervention or lockup, is a general estimate of the pedal effort you are trying to achieve.

To properly observe brake system bed-in, it is recommended a second person is engaged to use a contact or non-contact pyrometer to monitor rotor surface temperatures.

Note: Bedding-in of pads should not be done in poor weather conditions, nor on wet roads.

Bed-in Procedure for Standard Vehicles - 1 Cvcle: (series of 10 stops)
1.) For Standard Vehicles, accelerate to 60 mph (97 km/h)
(Below 6000 lbs (2722 kg) GVWR)
For Heavy Vehicles, accelerate to 45 mph (72 km/h)
(Above 6000 lbs (2722 kg) GVWR)
- The exact speed is not critical
2.) Apply brakes until approximately 5 mph (8 km/h) is reached
- Apply brakes at70-80o/o, as described on previous page.
- Exact speed is not critical and it is not necessary to watch the speedometer. Keep
your eyes on the road!
- DO NOT COME TO A COMPLETE STOP WITH THE BRAKE PEDAL APPLIED
WHILE THE SYSTEM IS HOT!

3.) Measure rotor temperature
- Coast to a stop or gently apply the parking brake to slow the vehicle to a stop.
4.) Repeat steps 1-3 until 10 stops are completed
- lf the rotor surface temperature approaches 1000'F (538"C), end the cycle and proceed to cool down; do not exceed 1000"F (538'C) during bed-in.
5.) Cool down brake system until rotor surface reaches ambient temperature
- Cool the rotor to 200"F (93"C) or below.
6.) lnspect the rotor for pad deposit
- There will be a blue tint on the rotor, with a light gray film on the rotor face. The blue tint indicates that the rotor has reached the proper bed-in temperature, and the gray film is pad material starting to transfer onto the rotor face.

Additional Notes:
- As soon as on the 6th stop, there should be a distinct smell from the brakes. Smoke may also be evident after several stops.
- Near the 8th or 9th stop, some friction material may experience "green fade." This is a slight fading of the brakes, which will stabilize, but not completely go away until the brakes have cooled.
- After the final stop of each cycle, drive as much as possible without using the brakes to cool off the system. Ideally, the brakes should be allowed to cool to ambient temperature before using them again.
- After the first bed-in cycle, the brakes may still not be operating at their best capacity. A second or third bed-in cycle is typically necessary before the brakes really start to "come in." A "cycle" is a series of stops, followed by a cool-down to ambient temperature as described above.

Last edited:

todd92

Passed Driver's Ed
The best thing to do is normal driving.
Try not to do 100% braking effort stops.
Avoid high speed heavy braking.
Avoid long braking, like going down a long hill and riding the brakes all the way.
I think for about 500 miles is good but 1000 miles like your engine break in is also good.

Just drive normal and try to avoid performance driving until after this time.

Others will say drive it like you stole it , but as you asked the question I take it you want to do the cautious thing and break it in some.:rolleyes: This is what I will do.

Absolutely not.

Repeated 60-10 braking to get them hot and whatever you do, don't come to a stop until they have cooled back off. Smoke and smell is how you tell they are hot enough.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
This would be the general conditions interpreted from most industry standards.

speed: 40-0 mph
duration: 4 sec for every stop
number of stops: 200
interval between stops: 1 mile

The only thing which has to be taken care is not to overheat the linings.

Tweaker

I haven't picked up the R yet, but when I put a StopTech BBK on my GTI, I followed their rec's more or less. (It may be overkill for our purposes on a street car, but then again, the R is kinda agro....)

Per StopTech:
"For a typical performance brake system using race pads, the bed-in procedure must be somewhat more aggressive, as higher temperatures need to be reached, in order to bring certain brands of pad material up to their full race potential.
We typically recommend a set of ten partial braking events, from 60mph down to 10mph, followed immediately by three or four partial braking events, from 80mph down to 10mph. Alternately, a set of eleven stops, from 80mph to 40mph, or a set of seven stops, from 100mph to 50mph, would be approximately the same. As with street pads, each of the partial braking events should achieve moderate-to-high deceleration (about 80% of the deceleration required to lock up the brakes and/or to engage the ABS), and they should be made one after the other, without allowing the brakes to cool in between.
Again, depending on the make-up of the pad material, the brake friction will seem to gain slightly in performance, and will then lose or fade somewhat about halfway through the first set of stops. This does not indicate that the brakes are bedded-in, except where race-ready pads are being used. This phenomenon is the same as that which occurs with high-performance or street pads (except that, when race-ready pads are used, they do not exhibit green fade, and they will be bedded-in after just one complete set of stops).
As when bedding-in any set of brakes, care should be taken regarding the longer stopping distance necessary with incompletely bedded pads. This first set of stops in the bed-in process is only complete when the recommended number of stops has been performed - not before. As a general rule, it would be better to perform additional stops, than not enough. The system should then be allowed to cool, by driving the vehicle at the highest safe speed for the circumstances, without bringing it to a complete stop with the brakes still applied.
After cooling the vehicle, a second set of the recommended number of stops should be performed, followed by another cooling exercise. In some situations, a third set is beneficial, but two are normally sufficient.
Racers will note that, when a pad is bedded-in properly, there will be approximately 2mm (0.1 inch) of the pad edge near the rotor, on which the paint will have turned to ash, or the color of the pad will have changed to look as though it has been overheated.
In summary, the key to successfully bedding-in performance brakes is to bring the pads up to their operating temperature range, in a controlled manner, and to keep them there long enough to start the pad material transfer process. Different brake system designs, pad types, and driving conditions require different procedures to achieve a successful bed-in. The procedures recommended above should provide a useful starting point for developing bed-in procedures appropriate to individual applications."
This is the same procedure used by Baer Racing Brakes to bed in their high performance systems.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk