GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

AMG A45 acceleration comparison with Golf R.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Europeans have so many more choices in small performance cars than we do. Especially cars with manual transmissions (though that's changing I gather, and most MB modelss don't seem to even offer them?). Still, here in the USA "small" is still considered "cheap," and there's a paucity of cars for people who want performance and quality in a small package.

bigred1

Passed Driver's Ed
A stage 2 R with intercooler for 2k in mods would rape that Benz in a 17 leftover.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
A45 is way better

How so? Genuine question - not mocking. I don't pay any attention to MB. This is the first i've ever heard of a sporty MB hatch

I just wish MB would move past the freaking number pad on the dash. they've been putting those on their cars since like the late 90's. In general, they put too many buttons on their dash. it looks like my dad's Acura*pukesinmouth*

FlyGTI2

Ready to race!
I’ve owned several Mercedes and currently own one now, I find the Golf to be superior in a lot of areas. The amg 45 is a great car but it can have rattles and road noise. I’d take the ttrs any day over a amg45

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
When you load up the Merc with every option you're over $60K. I priced one the way I wanted it and it came to $25K with tax more than the R with all options. I didn't drive one with the adjustable suspension but the salesman said comfort mode is the same as the standard suspension, comfort-wise.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
I just wish we got all of those choices the Euros get. Here it's slim pickins if you don't want a crossover, SUV, or gen-you-wine truck.

RudyH

Go Kart Champion
How so? Genuine question - not mocking. I don't pay any attention to MB. This is the first i've ever heard of a sporty MB hatch

I just wish MB would move past the freaking number pad on the dash. they've been putting those on their cars since like the late 90's. In general, they put too many buttons on their dash. it looks like my dad's Acura*pukesinmouth*

I think that was sarcastic

I haven't seen a review that has placed a CLA AMG above the S3 except on power, and the 3 way with the Golf R has the CLA / A AMG always in last

Dr.Bora

Passed Driver's Ed
Europeans have so many more choices in small performance cars than we do. Especially cars with manual transmissions (though that's changing I gather, and most MB modelss don't seem to even offer them?). Still, here in the USA "small" is still considered "cheap," and there's a paucity of cars for people who want performance and quality in a small package.

MB hasn't made a manual trans available since 2007 IIRC with the W204 C-Class. Ive only heard of them and only actually seen an SLK with a 6 Speed in it. NONE of the AMG models have a manual unless you custom fab one to it

Trancebolt

Ready to race!
I believe theyve offerred manuals in europe longer than we got those. you are right, SLK and C class here only, and only for the smaller engines.

The cla45/a45 are the same platform i believe... Its very similar in every way including performance and handling, except the exterior/interior design and materials.. Which is a subjective choice, and i prefer the Mk7 interior to the CLA/A class interior.

I like my mbz interior in my e class, and the cla/a interior isnt nice enough to be 60k. seats are good....no cloth option in the R right? the leather is slippery =D

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
I just wish we got all of those choices the Euros get. Here it's slim pickins if you don't want a crossover, SUV, or gen-you-wine truck.

ironically we can't get the VW truck

veedubfreak

Go Kart Champion

Part of it is also that on the average most people in the United States are much fatter than the rest of the world, and thus NEED bigger vehicles. Also, for some reason, people here still seem to think that bigger = safer.
Mostly it comes down to the fact that the average person in the US is much less educated when it comes to vehicles than people in Europe.

As to the VW truck, I wouldn't be surprised to see it make its way here soon. They're already trying to get in on the GIANT SUV market with the Atlas, so I can see them bringing the pickup here at some point.