GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SRS-Tec spoiler with photos

Tigsel

Ready to race!
I just receive mine from PG performance (dropped shipped from Germany). I must say that I am extremely disappointed with it's quality. It looks terrible and needs a lot of work before it can be primed and painted. It is not straight when you lay it down on a flat surface, the edges are rough and wavy, both ends are of different thicknesses. This is something I would expect from China for $20-30. Definitely not worth it in my book, IMO.

Steel28

I just receive mine from PG performance (dropped shipped from Germany). I must say that I am extremely disappointed with it's quality. It looks terrible and needs a lot of work before it can be primed and painted. It is not straight when you lay it down on a flat surface, the edges are rough and wavy, both ends are of different thicknesses. This is something I would expect from China for $20-30. Definitely not worth it in my book, IMO.

Thank you for your honest review. I'll pass.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie

I had the exact opposite experience. I was amazed at the quality of the piece that was delivered to me. It fit like a glove, looked perfect (none of the issues you mentioned), and felt amazingly substantial. I'm guessing that the spoiler not sitting flush with a flat surface might have been due to it needing to conform to the slight curvature of the factory spoiler which it is to be applied to? When you did a test fit, didn't it seat perfectly with the VW body piece--mine did as if it were made by VW. No, the piece isn't totally ready to paint as it did need a final sanding (#400), but the fellow in the body shop who painted it said that he had no problems whatsoever. I guess if you're looking for something to bolt-on right out of the box, this might not be for you, but for a piece intended to be prepped and painted, the spoiler I got was absolutely flawless. The only problems with mine is that I applied a bit too much adhesive and had to work out the excess and wipe it off of the body panels onto which it oozed.

Last edited:

Tigsel

Ready to race!
I had the exact opposite experience. I was amazed at the quality of the piece that was delivered to me. It fit like a glove, looked perfect (none of the issues you mentioned), and felt amazingly substantial. I'm guessing that the spoiler not sitting flush with a flat surface might have been due to it needing to conform to the slight curvature of the factory spoiler which it is to be applied to? When you did a test fit, didn't it seat perfectly with the VW body piece--mine did as if it were made by VW. No, the piece isn't totally ready to paint as it did need a final sanding (#400), but the fellow in the body shop who painted it said that he had no problems whatsoever. I guess if you're looking for something to bolt-on right out of the box, this might not be for you, but for a piece intended to be prepped and painted, the spoiler I got was absolutely flawless. The only problems with mine is that I applied a bit too much adhesive and had to work out the excess and wipe it off of the body panels onto which it oozed.

I've bought enough spoilers and other accessories to be able to tell the difference between good quality part and bad. PG Performance is looking in to it but they are very slow, especially when I asked them to refund me. In fact they said that they have never seen one in person :eek: Honestly I was expecting some prep work to be done but not a complete re-shape. I mean the craftsmanship quality is so bad that almost everything about that spoiler needs to be corrected. It fits ok but there are some bumps on the inside that were left by the mold or something and need to be shaved off before it can sit flush. I'll post some pics when I get home to show you guys what I mean.

Last edited:

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Really, I'm the only one who thinks it looks terrible? The way it overlaps on the side slightly covering, shadowing the oem piano black treatment that runs up and down on the hatch door just screams cheap aftermarket add-on to me.

Anyway just couldn't believe everyone liked it, felt obligated to leave my polar opposite opinion.

To the original op, all that being said, it's your car, do what ya want, glad it makes you happy and thanks for sharing the pics so all can make a better decision, one way or the other.

Tigsel

Ready to race!
Just got a response from PG performance. Apparently the "Germans" are saying that I have to sand, ground and fill it before priming and painting, lol. Also to add insult to injury PG Performance wants me to ship it back to them at my expense and if I want a free shipping I have to go to my bodyshop and get it in writing that the spoiler need heavy prep work, then and only then they will pay for return shipping (talk about great customer service). At this point I am just going to call AMEX and have them deal with it. What a bunch of baloney this whole thing turned out to be. Anyhow here are the pictures:

Last edited:

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
Just got a response from PG performance. Apparently the "Germans" are saying that I have to sand, ground and fill it before priming and painting, lol. Also to add insult to injury PG Performance wants me to ship it back to them at my expense and if I want a free shipping I have to go to my bodyshop and get it in writing that the spoiler need heavy prep work, then and only then they will pay for return shipping (talk about great customer service). At this point I am just going to call AMEX and have them deal with it. What a bunch of baloney this whole thing turned out to be. Anyhow here are the pictures:

Although the pics didn't show up, all I can say is that they must have sent you a really F***ed up one. Again, mine only needed the mildest of sanding as prep. So sorry to hear about it. Amex is good about intervening with such though.

[/QUOTE]

Steel28

I saw the pics this morning and you are 100% right IMO. I wouldn't pay $20 for it.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
For some reason your photos didn't display earlier--now I can see them. You're right, what they sent you was a real dog. To me, it looks like something that somebody bought, screwed it up with a Dremel moto-tool, and returned back to them, which they then sold again. That needs way too much prep to be even close to acceptable. Did you send them the photos you've posted here?

Tigsel

Ready to race!
For some reason your photos didn't display earlier--now I can see them. You're right, what they sent you was a real dog. To me, it looks like something that somebody bought, screwed it up with a Dremel moto-tool, and returned back to them, which they then sold again. That needs way too much prep to be even close to acceptable. Did you send them the photos you've posted here?

Yes I did send them those same photos. PG is claiming that they've never seen one in real life and am the first person complaining about their crappy spoiler, lol. I mean how can you sell a product that you've never seen or held in your hands before? We're not talking about mass production company here with the CEO that never seen the actual product, they're a moms and pops store and they've only sold a handful of those. Least they can do is to get one sample so that they can have some type of a reference of what they're actually selling. If I were to guess I'd say they import those from China to Germany then sell them as a "high quality" German made product. I may be wrong but this is what it looks like to me. Oh well, lesson learned.

efa5

Ready to race!
Thanks for the reviews! Was thinking about this until I read the thread. Looks like I'll have to explore other options!

GTIjush

Passed Driver's Ed
Reviving a dead thread but wanted to share my experience with the SRS-TEC lip spoiler.

OP, sorry that happened to you. Hope that was resolved.

I ordered directly from SRS-TEC, shipped from Germany. Had it professionally sanded, primed, and painted to match body color. Considered gloss black but this is just my preference. Painters did mention it needed a lot of paint prep. Installed myself with the provided polyurethane sealant. Caulked the spoiler using same sealant and paint matched using VW touch up paint. Came out great. Very happy with the end result.

Excuse the dirty car and redacted license plate. I know that pisses some people off. Good.

Attachments

• 67877D35-7667-4720-BC6B-10EED49B8901.jpeg
    67877D35-7667-4720-BC6B-10EED49B8901.jpeg
    830.9 KB · Views: 159
  • B7248B4B-B104-4BF3-9303-290B42608018.jpeg
    B7248B4B-B104-4BF3-9303-290B42608018.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 142
  • DD67B222-A5DE-41C8-AD26-97952B926D45.jpeg
    DD67B222-A5DE-41C8-AD26-97952B926D45.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 148
  • 10B263EF-1712-4493-A395-74951A2ABBD8.jpeg
    10B263EF-1712-4493-A395-74951A2ABBD8.jpeg
    831.9 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
Reviving a dead thread but wanted to share my experience with the SRS-TEC lip spoiler.

OP, sorry that happened to you. Hope that was resolved.

I ordered directly from SRS-TEC, shipped from Germany. Had it professionally sanded, primed, and painted to match body color. Considered gloss black but this is just my preference. Painters did mention it needed a lot of paint prep. Installed myself with the provided polyurethane sealant. Caulked the spoiler using same sealant and paint matched using VW touch up paint. Came out great. Very happy with the end result.

Excuse the dirty car and redacted license plate. I know that pisses some people off. Good.
It looks really good!

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
White looks better with the way the black on the roof/spoiler ends.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI
What material is this spoiler made out of? Fiberglass?

Curious because their mk6 spoiler is probably my favorite one available.