GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The Passat GT is Coming

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Man, seems like the Passat is not very well received around here.

I think they are fantastic cars. Are they the sportiest out there?? No. But they have an absolutely cavernous back seat and truck, good power, are very comfortable and refined, have loads of tech, and are still more than competent in the handling department.

As for the Sport, I think it looks good, and is a nice send off for this generation. I'm curious to see how far-if at all- it goes beyond cosmetics.

Yup....it's definitely not a true "sports sedan", but a well priced family/people mover with lots of space

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Yeah it's got a little burble/rumble at idle, and you definitely hear it when you're WOT....I love it

I had the JB1 on the wife's R-line, and it was a nice compromise, but it's back to stock for now.
Only APR has a tune for the 1.8T, and I had it before, it's okay

The auto trans is really the limiting factor on the 1.8T....it can't handle/hold much torque

The DSG & 3.6 is an EXCELLENT combo.
I think there's a DSG tune available, but I don't have it, nor do I feel it really needs it. Maybe if I was adding A LOT more power, it'd be "needed."
But stock, it drives awesome (IMO)

The DSG is definitely more composed/refined with the 3.6 V6 versus a 2.0T w/DSG though.

Is it the same tiptronic as on the golf? Cause that can hold high 300’s torque

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
^^^
That I don't know. The 1.8T engine in the Passat is totally different from the one in the MQB Golf though

The Passat uses a 09G Aisin 6 speed auto, which has a max torque rating of only 258 ft/lb

takemorepills

Ready to race!
Man, seems like the Passat is not very well received around here.

I think they are fantastic cars. Are they the sportiest out there?? No. But they have an absolutely cavernous back seat and truck, good power, are very comfortable and refined, have loads of tech, and are still more than competent in the handling department.

Having driven literally every other car in the segment, the Passat still punches right up there with most, and is better than some, despite it's age. The Accord is a CVT unless you get a Sport. They just dropped the V6 and went to a hideous body style. The Camry is devoid of any emotion and has poor infotainment. The Mazda 6 is overrated. Good (but not great) steering and handling, but expensive, lacking features, and underpowered. The Passat still has plenty of pros going for it.

As for the Sport, I think it looks good, and is a nice send off for this generation. I'm curious to see how far-if at all- it goes beyond cosmetics.

I receive a Passat loaner most times when I put my GTI in for service.

I feel like the Passat is quite literally the worst sedan you can buy these days. I am NOT an Accord or Camry guy. But, I gotta say, I have driven newer Accords and Camrys and they are worlds away better cars than a Passat. It is shocking just how bad the new Passat is. I guess the previous, German made Passats were nicer? These new ones are just big tin cans with very strange powertrains.
It was a big shock to me, how bad the Passat (and the Jetta) really are because the Mk7 GTI is such an amazing car. Sometimes people scoff at a Mk7 GTI thinking it's "just another VW" and I always try and share with them that "no, it is an EXCELLENT car, period. not just another VW" but now I see why people don't like VW. It's because of the Passat (and Jetta).

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I receive a Passat loaner most times when I put my GTI in for service.

I feel like the Passat is quite literally the worst sedan you can buy these days. I am NOT an Accord or Camry guy. But, I gotta say, I have driven newer Accords and Camrys and they are worlds away better cars than a Passat. It is shocking just how bad the new Passat is. I guess the previous, German made Passats were nicer? These new ones are just big tin cans with very strange powertrains.
It was a big shock to me, how bad the Passat (and the Jetta) really are because the Mk7 GTI is such an amazing car. Sometimes people scoff at a Mk7 GTI thinking it's "just another VW" and I always try and share with them that "no, it is an EXCELLENT car, period. not just another VW" but now I see why people don't like VW. It's because of the Passat (and Jetta).

Haven't driven a Passat, but have owned a MK6 Jetta... And can confirm, it's a hot steamy lump of garbage. It was my first car at 18, and I couldn't stand it. Bummer the passat sucks too.

Also, SUPER weird the Passat's 1.8T isn't the same as the Golf's... TF is that about?

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Haven't driven a Passat, but have owned a MK6 Jetta... And can confirm, it's a hot steamy lump of garbage. It was my first car at 18, and I couldn't stand it. Bummer the passat sucks too.

Also, SUPER weird the Passat's 1.8T isn't the same as the Golf's... TF is that about?

The Passat is definitely nicer than a Jetta (build & material wise)....it's just not up to par with the sportiness of a GTI, obvioulsy, which you guys all have.

As for the 1.8T being different, the NMS Passat isn't MQB based (the next gen Passat should be though)

And also, for 2018, the 1.8T is being replaced with the new 174hp/184tq "Budack Cycle" 2.0T anyways that is found in the new Tiguan & will be in the Beetle too
It's strictly a more efficient engine though

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
The Passat is definitely nicer than a Jetta (build & material wise)...

Says the guy with two Passats! :rolleyes:

All jokes with Dan aside, don't judge a VW by it's base model. The one time I got a loner it was a 2.5L Jetta and it was AWFUL. A Jetta in GLI trim is miles apart from a base Jetta, no different on the Passat.

That said, most of the US Passat and Jetta (and Beetle) trims are sort of bastard cars. They aren't just versions of MQB chassis or Golf/GTI running gear with a different chassis. Different engines, different transmissions, suspensions, etc. Not sure why exactly (I can guess costs), but it's been that way in some form or another for a few generations now.