GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Unitronic Stage 1 Tune Review?

hey guys - I literally got the Unitronic Stage 1 tune about 30 mins ago so I can really comment. It's been a year since I've had the car, 22k kms. Firstly, it took me weeks of debating if I should get a tune because of the warranty worries but I finally decided - screw it...i'm going to leave it in the hands in the tuning gods of Unitronic...I really hope they know their shit. I went UNI vs APR for 2 reasons: 1) Way cheaper. $650 vs $950 for APR for stage 1. 2) Canadian company, with great reviews..their service when I called in was also great and I understand their tune is less boosty and more stock-ish. I want to support Canadian so pulled the trigger.

Verdict: I did my tune at K&H Radiators in Scarborough. Took about 1 hr, no fee for install. Just before that, I got my stock resonator removed down the road at NoyzBoyz. It cost me $120+ tax, and I have mixed feelings on it. It sounds almost exactly like stock..with a very very slight increase in noise that you only hear high in the RPM range. I would use that $120 towards a Uni connect cable (costs $195). Now the tune - I know it takes some time to kick in but I'm really loving it. It feels almost exactly like stock when driving around town and traffic...but when you drive spirited the power is very gradual and you will only tell how much extra power you have once you go past 70-80kms/hr, or accelerate quickly past 3-4k rpm. Extremely strong punch all the way to redline, and I did not do the TCU tune...I decided I would see how it felt first on stock DSG. Mine seems to handle it perfectly fine, so hopefully saved myself the $650.

It feels like this is how it should have come out of the factory...and feels like the car can definitely handle this power (obviously better when conditions are dry...on slick surface you will def get slippage and wheel hop). In a couple of days I will update you guys with a review...but if you are like me and sitting on the fence for weeks - go for it..it is the best $650 i've ever spent already. I didn't do 1 + because I don't want to go hunting for 93 fuel, and I didn't buy the uniconnect cable yet...if I ever need it I will buy it then, or pay the $50 to flash back to stock/upgrade by any dealer.

Thanks for your input! I'm around 22k on my car too and am slightly gun shy of making the jump to a tune due to the whole warranty being void issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madelinot

Ready to race!
When I purchased it, I went directly to Stage 2. Both DSG and TCU. The car was almost new and still 100% stock. I purchased the UniConnect cable at the same time. I initially installed Stage 1.5 and then a few months ago, I gutted my intake, installed a CTS downpipe and installed Stage 2 at the same time.

I know it sounds weird, but I felt more HP from the transition from 1.5 to 2.0 versus stock to 1.5. Probably just my mind. But I really love stage 2. It still doesn't pull as strong as my trusty old G35 used to, but it's really really nice.

I have the Unitronic intercooler sitting in my garage and will be installing that soon. I'm waiting on Unitronic to release their stage 3, then will probably do that...

LightsOut

After a couple hours of driving around on Stage 1...It feels exactly like the stock power of a Golf R (which says a lot...the power delivery is extremely smooth and the car again literally feels like it came stock with this power). I thought the 360 lb of torque would be a crazy kick in the ass, but it is well distributed. The 2 things that have clearly changed is - on the highway when accelerating you can definately feel the increase in power. I used to feel the umph died in the top end...now its just nuts. Secondly, when you drive in manual/sport and gears change the power keeps building..i used to feel a slight dip in power but now its amazing. All in all - I was expecting to bring in a GTI and bring out a snarly 360lb torque beast. It isn't that dramatic, but very very powerful and enjoyable when u want to push it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BLACK_MK7R_TORONTO

When I purchased it, I went directly to Stage 2. Both DSG and TCU. The car was almost new and still 100% stock. I purchased the UniConnect cable at the same time. I initially installed Stage 1.5 and then a few months ago, I gutted my intake, installed a CTS downpipe and installed Stage 2 at the same time.

I know it sounds weird, but I felt more HP from the transition from 1.5 to 2.0 versus stock to 1.5. Probably just my mind. But I really love stage 2. It still doesn't pull as strong as my trusty old G35 used to, but it's really really nice.

I have the Unitronic intercooler sitting in my garage and will be installing that soon. I'm waiting on Unitronic to release their stage 3, then will probably do that...

I had a G35 too. Doesn't even come close to the pull of the R? what did you have done to your G? twin turbo???? LOL

Wongatron

Passed Driver's Ed
My unitronic experience

Hi all, new to forum posting but read a while. Stage 1+ on my 2015 mk7, goose auto the only one in San Antonio. Was at 40k already stock and have the stage 1+ now. A month + in, enjoying surge power at 4k+ and 70mph+:where it fell off before. Also gains in mpg. From sa to Houston usual mileage about 28, 2x registered 32+ at 75+ average speed. Daily in town driving shows 2 mpg gains or so too

Pinkesh

Hi, to Cavemin and LightsOut,

I know you guys just got it in June, can you please provide an update on your experience and if you have had any issues etc? I have a similar GTI at some amount of kms and on the fence like you guys were. Any advice and feedback will help (that goes to any body reading this who has stage 1). I'm almost convinced that it seems like a fairly safe upgrade that won't kill the engine etc.

Thanks!

faid

Ready to race!
Just got into a Golf R from a Mk7 GTI. Had great experience with eurodyne. Any one try Eurodyne before Unitronics? Need both DSG and ECU tune.

MikeyR44

Go Kart Newbie
Hi, to Cavemin and LightsOut,

I know you guys just got it in June, can you please provide an update on your experience and if you have had any issues etc? I have a similar GTI at some amount of kms and on the fence like you guys were. Any advice and feedback will help (that goes to any body reading this who has stage 1). I'm almost convinced that it seems like a fairly safe upgrade that won't kill the engine etc.

Thanks!

+1 to this. If anyone can share their experiences with a couple thousand miles on the car id appreciate it. The only thing holding me back is fears of blowing something up.

Wongatron

Passed Driver's Ed
+1 to this. If anyone can share their experiences with a couple thousand miles on the car id appreciate it. The only thing holding me back is fears of blowing something up.

I've put some decent miles since my early August install, was low 40k now almost 50k miles. power delivery is still smooth and excellent, I haven't noticed any strange behavior and I'm still averaging about 2-3 mpg better than before even with at least a couple full throttle blasts per tank. also handled running a tank of regular unleaded during the local gas shortage after Hurricane Harvey with no hiccups.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Just got into a Golf R from a Mk7 GTI. Had great experience with eurodyne. Any one try Eurodyne before Unitronics? Need both DSG and ECU tune.

Welcome to the club. Came from an ED Stage 2 GTI to a 16’ R. I promised John I’d ride his boat the next time I tuned lol.

I haven’t heard a negative review about Unitronic. Said it many times over, had UniConnect come out first, I wouldn’t have touched ED. Though I enjoyed my time with my GTI, I’m looking for a bit more refinement now.

Only thing that’s delaying me is that two of my colleagues have R’s and both have had driveshaft issues that required VW to plug in their cars for warranty. I’ll save up bit more for extra “pay to play” room just in case ;)

faid

Ready to race!
Welcome to the club. Came from an ED Stage 2 GTI to a 16’ R. I promised John I’d ride his boat the next time I tuned lol.

I haven’t heard a negative review about Unitronic. Said it many times over, had UniConnect come out first, I wouldn’t have touched ED. Though I enjoyed my time with my GTI, I’m looking for a bit more refinement now.

Only thing that’s delaying me is that two of my colleagues have R’s and both have had driveshaft issues that required VW to plug in their cars for warranty. I’ll save up bit more for extra “pay to play” room just in case ;)

Were they tuned? 2016?

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Were they tuned? 2016?

No, both are stock 2016 R's. But they were plugged in for warranty purposes.

In my GTI, I was fortunate to never need any drivetrain-related warranty work and my advisor never let my car get plugged in, so all was good! I had over 30,000 joyful kms in Stage 2 with that car. It worked flawlessly!

The fact that two of my coworkers suffered the same issues sort of made me delay my tuning the R.

Last edited:

faid

Ready to race!
No, both are stock 2016 R's. But they were plugged in for warranty purposes.

In my GTI, I was fortunate to never need any drivetrain-related warranty work and my advisor never let my car get plugged in, so all was good! I had over 30,000 joyful kms in Stage 2 with that car. It worked flawlessly!

The fact that two of my coworkers suffered the same issues sort of made me delay my tuning the R.

Dam. Now you have scared me. Was thinking to go eurodyne stage 1 till my oil change then go stage 2 with cooler.

What exactly broke? Just driveshaft or did it take something with it?

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Dam. Now you have scared me. Was thinking to go eurodyne stage 1 till my oil change then go stage 2 with cooler.

What exactly broke? Just driveshaft or did it take something with it?

I apologize; wasn't my intention to scare you off from tuning. I fully intend to tune my car, but since I picked it up slightly used CPO, I've decided to see how it goes over an extended period. I've only had it since June 22nd.

I can find out what went wrong and get back to you. AFAIK, their driveshafts were replaced under warranty.

On my GTI, I went straight to Stage 2 after 10K.