GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTI Standard VS Fender Audio

digitalrurouni

Passed Driver's Ed
This may not be thread for sunroof, but you mentioned it and it is relatively closely related to sound so be it. I dread the sunroof, too and am now looking for the car without it. I have a Sportwagen which may hove some differences in how the air flows around it. Sunroof is huge uncovered piece of glass and it gets noisy during the rain. The only sound insulation is thin curtain which is no insulation at all. Regular sunroofs are usually smaller and covered by some thicker piece. Once I open it, at almost any speed, buffetting makes it very nosiy. Opening some windows does not help. So I have a big sunroof that I never open. The other part of the story is that it leaked in the back, but that is another thread, I am sure.

Huh interesting my wife and I have no complaints about our sunroof. Better than the one in the mk6!

kri$han1

Passed Driver's Ed
I think it's definitely a good system. That said there is room for improvement after possibly letting the speakers bed in for a little bit by playing various kinds of music. Tire noise in the car of course will affect how the system sounds, but yeah the biggest deal is the EQ. Definitely mess around with it to get the sound you want. Overall it's a powerful system and yeah the sub can make it a bit boomy but that can be adjusted as well. Also I recommend really good quality source to listen to. All my MP3s are 320 kbps for example. I gotta try Stevie Ray Vaughn's Tin Pan Alley and see how it sounds like. To me that is got to be one of the best engineered tracks ever not to mention it is an awesome song. If the car can recreate the sound stage even a quarter of what my home listening setup can then I would be very impressed! I have only had this car for 2 weeks and have not really listened to the stereo much but I can say it's a definite improvement over the stereo I had in my mk6 Autobahn.

+1 on boominess - I find myself going into the audio settings to turn the subwoofer up or down, depending on the quality and mastering of mp3's im listening to. I run an iPod connected to the USB jack.

Usually, upgrading a factory audio system is a no-brainer for me, as I have really low expectations of automakers to get it right, however I think the Fender system is awesome. You could easily replicate it with a powerful HU, an amped set of 6.5" components up front, some full-range 6.5's in the rear doors and a 10" subwoofer in the back, but if you get the Fender system you won't have to do any of that. It's a great, great system.

Hi there

Huh interesting my wife and I have no complaints about our sunroof. Better than the one in the mk6!
The noise with sunroof open may be specific to Sportwagen. It is just the way wind blows and twists and twirls inside. I would have never guessed that opening windows would have made such a noise, either. I mean, every car is noisy with windows open, but this thing is a killer. Not to mention that the cover for the trunk becomes a nice big vibrating surface in the wind. In GTI, you have a rear shelf and it is firm. In Sportwagen it is like a sail on a ship on the open sea. Forget about figurning the Fender out, you just hope that window-closing works. Again, it must be for another thread, but flush (air may be the best) drains often. Otherwise, you may end up pumping the water out of the trunk like some of us did.

c31561

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Usually, upgrading a factory audio system is a no-brainer for me, as I have really low expectations of automakers to get it right, however I think the Fender system is awesome.

I think the VW systems to be about average for a factory stereo, but nothing compared to a dedicated aftermarket. I listened to both trim levels and neither was going to give me what I really wanted. The factory really tried on this stereo, I will give them that. Still a little flat.

You could easily replicate it with a powerful HU, an amped set of 6.5" components up front, some full-range 6.5's in the rear doors and a 10" subwoofer in the back

This is almost exactly what I plan to do, minus the new HU. I have all the parts, just need the time to start installing.

Hi there

This is almost exactly what I plan to do, minus the new HU. I have all the parts, just need the time to start installing.

Any chance you could post some details how to do it, once you are done. I would like to do it, but am far from experienced in tearing the doors apart and reassembling them.

VDUB725

Ready to race!
I just went from a 2015 S to a 2017 SE and it's a big difference.

That being said, I only listen to 16 & 24 bit flac files so if your an ipod/iphone mp3/streaming audio person it might not sounds as good with lossy formats.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
The Fender system is great.

I just did an upgrade in my 996 911

MB Quart 600W 6-Channel Amp
Alpine ILX-107 HU
Focal Speakers
Bazooka 6” Bass Tube (240 Watts)

After spending $1500+ the new system in the GTI sounds better.

Mugzy

Passed Driver's Ed
I love the Fender system, it is the main reason I decided to get the GTI.

Question for all the people that hate their Fender system. Did you like it on the test drive and grow to hate it over time or did you buy the trim level with it for other reasons?

Hi there

The Answer

I love the Fender system, it is the main reason I decided to get the GTI.

Question for all the people that hate their Fender system. Did you like it on the test drive and grow to hate it over time or did you buy the trim level with it for other reasons?

I liked Fender system for all the conveniences. SD card that is tucked out of the way, playing FLACs, being able to scroll through albums, etc. However, the sound was not good. I went to the dealership a few times for that specific reason, just to try the sound again, and tried to convince myself it was something I may be able to get used to and live with. Eventually, I bought a car for everything else it offered and hoped the sound would be an acquired taste. Two years later, it still tastes bitter.

In short, I bought the trim for Fender system in some way, and navigation, but disliked the sound from the first moment.

Bad luck and a lots of foolishness on my part, I have to admit now. I end up listening to my thoughts while driving these days. Not that they are interesting, but they are not that Fender garage band sound.

depth_charged

Ready to race!
I have the standard audio system for the GTI sport with no upgrades. I think it sounds really good compared to other late model vehicles I have owned (especially the Focus RS, holy shit that car had a trash-tier audio system).

I probably listen to 50% podcasts and 50% current generation "metal" during my commute, and I set the EQ to my norm of bass 6-7/10, mids 5/10, and highs 8-9/10. I don't get any ear piercing highs, and the bass is just enough to bring out the drums without washing everything else out.

I never had a chance to listen to the Fender system, but the standard audio is really good for a car imo. I'm sort of a headphone audio nerd and have owned everything from iphone earpods to STAX electrostatic earspeakers.

Taco_Badger

When I test drove I was set on either getting a Sport or an SE. I ended up with the SE because it was the only one on the lot in the color I wanted (carbon steel) and the leather and Fender won me over. I didn't think I wanted or would like the moon roof but I've learned to love it. I had a pretty nice aftermarket stereo in my old car (2011 Ford Fusion) with a Pioneer Carplay Head Unit, JL Audio amp and Focal speakers all around. The Fender system never leaves me wanting more, I'm very happy with it though a bigger screen would be nice.

c31561

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Any chance you could post some details how to do it, once you are done. I would like to do it, but am far from experienced in tearing the doors apart and reassembling them.

I have started a thread on what I am doing to upgrade my stereo. I have included a decent video that goes over some of the major portions of the wiring install, except the speakers.

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38180

Since you have the Fender, you could use similar equipment but will have to determine how you would want to deal with the factory digital amp/DSP. Read up on factory integration solutions and talk with a couple of local car audio guys. You can make a great system with a little bit of work and some cash. Just do some research.

Last edited:

Wicked6

2016 GTI SE owner.. car audio was (is?) A long time hobby for me.. ( I started circa 1988/89 - when even the best factory systems ... sucked...) I've had it all, from working on a few IASCA contenders all the way up to a 1000W (RMS) turd, without boring you to death, I really enjoy the Fender system!! I could def. Use more low end punch, but overall - impressed.

I recently had a loaner 2017 Jetta with the standard vw audio, and was eager to get back to my Fender system..! For a true high end audiophile, it's good enough to get you thru to your next build.. for a lazy, "been there done that" Dad with 2 kids and no budget, i dig it.!!!

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

AusLin

I have the fader toward the back, the bass and trebel turn way up, and the Fender system sounds great in my R.

shimwrecker

Passed Driver's Ed
I would just like to mention that while the Fender system does not sound that great to me stock (flat EQ), it can be massively improved with some radical EQ and fader adjustments. Try the following:

Set everything to 0.
Turn the volume down a click or two.
Turn the fader towards the back at least 3 clicks.
Turn the bass and treble faders up at least 6dB.

The front speakers are a lot louder than the rear and totally overbalance them -- however there's a good reason why -- the rear speakers are mostly mids without much highs or lows. Turning up the bass and treble helps to compensate for this, and turning the fader towards the rear really helps to balance out the speakers in general. I personally have my bass and treble at +9 (would normally never EQ a system this way but try it before you knock it) and my fader towards the rear by 4 clicks (the more towards the back you go, the more mids, the more towards the front you go the more bass and treble you get).

Thanks. This makes it sound so much better!