GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

74 mpg MK VII bows at Paris....

ROOSTER1050

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2010 MKVI GTI
bluemotion MK VII, Europe only....

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2014-volkswagen-golf-bluemotion-photos-and-info-auto-shows

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
Wow..74mpg? Doubt we'll get it. Here's to hoping

TDR-380

Passed Driver's Ed
Wow..74mpg? Doubt we'll get it. Here's to hoping

No kidding, I don't get why the US market is so anti-diesel. The Bluemotion technology is killer. All the EU 7 Diesels, even the 150HP model, and certain TSI engines will have the BM technology.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
74mpg would allow me to drive an entire day (commute to and fro) on one gallon of gas. That's almost 3 weeks of not visiting a gas station.

BMHo

Ready to race!
74 MPG would give me... 2 weeks per gallon. So... Half a year for a tank... Assuming I don't go anywhere but work.

Big Swede

Ready to race!
That's on the Euro cycle which doesn't really scale to the U.S. cycle on all vehicles. Either way it won be anywhere near that high if it does come here.

djPerfectTrip

Passed Driver's Ed
I don't understand how the euro scale and us scale would be different...kinda weird, I guess I'll have to look into it. Shoot, even 600 miles per fill up would be tits.

andy845

Thought you guys might like this. Cruised into the office last weekend, 25 mile trip as you can see, this was the mpg when I got there. By far the highest I have managed. Wasn't aware that i was driving any differently to normal, I usually get 70ish. This is UK MPG so according to an online converter, in US MPG it would be 70.6. Car has done just over 2000 miles now and fuel economy is definitely on the rise.

From my very unsceientific monitoring, external temperature has a massive effect. Been cold here since i got the car in January, around 0c mostly, then we had an increase to the 10c you can see in the photo. The temperature has dropped again so fingers crossed when it rises the fuel consumption will again.

The efficeincy shown in the pic is a good 10mpg more than the offical combined figures from VW. Car is a 1.6tdi.

vwman

Go Kart Champion
Thats a great figure.
Have you switched off ECO mode & tried NORMAL mode yet to see how much diffference over the same journey ?

marky_boy1

Passed Driver's Ed
Thats good to hear. I was worried at mine only doing 55mpg. Ive done about 700 miles now. So hopefully in another 1300 ill be inthe 80mpgs.

Cannondale

I had a 2009 2.0 TDI Passat before this Golf and so far the Passat was better on fuel. I could get well over 60MPG out of the Passat on my regular drive to Scotland. Done the same journey with the My Golf 1.6TDI and struggled to get 60MPG.

The Car is now a week old and has done 1200 miles with an overall MPG of 57, hopefully it will get better in the next few weeks

andy845

Just for interest, here is a photo from this morning after taking exactly the same journey as in the previous picture. Traffic conditions were very comparable and you can see the average speed was the same, yet the MPG is almost 25 lower than last time. That is a massive difference that I'm putting down to the 10 degree difference in external temperature, surely though, there shouldn't be that much difference just from colder weather? I suppose the car would have been sitting in sub zero temperatures all night and so the first half of the journey would be particularly bad economy wise.

One thing I have noticed though, if you want high MPG you have to drive very carefully, it doesn't take much to bring a 70MPG trip down to 60!

Also, does everyone else have an 'i' that is slightly shorter than all the other letters in the word 'Since', as in the screenshot above? It drives me mad!!

Last edited: