GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

APR Stage 1 LO Tune

Hulk1

Go Kart Champion
Checked the numbers and the low output tune offers more horsepower than the power module/JB1 yet slightly less TQ. After speaking with a tech at alocal VW tuner, it seems this tune was designed for this very purpose, and would help salvage the clutch longer than other options. Especially a high output tune.

Pretty sure I'm going this route until the stock clutch is done. Just wanted to put it out there for anyone w/ a MT that might be interested. Also curious if anyone has any experience with APR's LO tune specifically. I've heard great things but there's fewer sources on this.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Owners with Low output APR stage 1 have had clutch slip. No tune, flash, or piggy back is 100% clutch slip free. (every one is confirmed having multiple cases, including JB1's, and NPM)

It varies from car to car and there is no way of knowing before you tune. The stock clutch** limit goes from 290-300 ft/lbs on the low end*. (varies by car/clutch)

If you do not want to put out money for a replacement clutch, do not tune your car.

Quick search for (apr low torque slippage) brought an owner slipping with it right away.
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showpost.php?p=299139&postcount=1

*=Most commonly you will see owners get a tune in summer, [post about it not slipping for X miles, then hit up the forum in winter when their car makes enough power to pass the ceiling, and their clutch gives up the ghost.

**=Of special note, is any early build date vehicle (namely the 2015's). They appear to have a different clutch supplier then later cars, and their clutches are considerably more stout. Do not look at any 2015 vehicles for comparison to a 2016 or 2017. (You technically shouldn't ever compare your car to any others in terms of whether or not it will slip)

Last edited:

Matt15GTI

Ready to race!
I had the low torque tune on my previously owned '15. It worked great. My car had no slippage at all. Before that, I ran a NPM at the 7psi setting and had no issues. But again, this is my experience. I don't know the health of your clutch or car. My '15 had 11,000 miles on it when I had it tuned with the low output tune. I had the guy that tuned it take it out for a drive before I even picked it up to make sure it was not slipping. He was surprised it ran great with no slippage lol. I could be a rare case I guess haha

Hulk1

Go Kart Champion
Thanks all for info. Seems the clutch is the weak link when it comes to adding power. I've become accustomed to the idea that I'll have to bite the bullet eventually. Guess I'm still feeling out my options Bc I do intend to tune, just a matter of when.

Sad to see MTs are dying breed and now stuff like this. If I knew, maybe this would've been enough to go *shudders* automatic. Eh who am I kidding.

j_rad91!

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 GTI
I have had my APR stage 1 high output tune on my 2016 MT for a month now and so far so good. But I do have cash stored for the clutch when needed. I have a buddy with a 15 MT who has 18k still running the stock clutch with APR stage 1 high output. Guess it's the luck of the draw?

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
**=Of special note, is any early build date vehicle (namely the 2015's). They appear to have a different clutch supplier then later cars, and their clutches are considerably more stout. Do not look at any 2015 vehicles for comparison to a 2016 or 2017. (You technically shouldn't ever compare your car to any others in terms of whether or not it will slip)

Ravenstyle83

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI
I like the tune with my DSG transmission. I pulled away 3 car lengths by the end of 4th gear on an 01 GT Mustang with full bolt ons with just my standard 2 door GTI S and the Lo Output APR tune, so I can't complain. ohhhh.. I forgot to mention the high flow air filter (adds 100 horsepower) :p

Hulk1

Go Kart Champion
I like the tune with my DSG transmission. I pulled away 3 car lengths by the end of 4th gear on an 01 GT Mustang with full bolt ons with just my standard 2 door GTI S and the Lo Output APR tune, so I can't complain. ohhhh.. I forgot to mention the high flow air filter (adds 100 horsepower) :p

Nice! Shoot w DSG you could go DP and stage 2 no worries

Diesel5000

Passed Driver's Ed
Eurodyne has a Stage 1 low output tune as well for people concerned with clutch slippage and if you want to bump it up to stage 1.5, stage 2 or even IS38 it's free to upgrade.

Hulk1

Go Kart Champion
Eurodyne has a Stage 1 low output tune as well for people concerned with clutch slippage and if you want to bump it up to stage 1.5, stage 2 or even IS38 it's free to upgrade.

Huh really? Didn't know that. Let me check it out.

0bLiViOuS

Go Kart Champion
Yep they have HT and normal versions so just don't run the HT files. Either way you'll risk slip with anything :)

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
+1. There is no "use this tune/flash/piggyback" and you won't have clutch slip. The only way to be 100% sure of no clutch slip is to stay stock.

Even if you don't get slip immediately, you will greatly reduce the longevity of the stock clutch due to it not being designed for much more power then the stock car produces.

Burdman

Passed Driver's Ed
Went APR low output after 4500 miles and loved it. Wasnt long before I was itching to go stage 2 and did around 16k. I am just over 19k now and still running stock clutch with no issues. Granted I almost never go HAAM from a dig and most of my "spirited" drives are on the highway from 40mph and beyond. Of course every car is different but I think alot of it comes down to driver style. There are alot of peeps that for lack of a better word suck at driving manual cars and IMO this is a huge contributor to these clutches failing so quick. Either way the fun that these tunes have given me are more than worth it even if I had to get a new clutch tomorrow.

Hulk1

Go Kart Champion
Yep they have HT and normal versions so just don't run the HT files. Either way you'll risk slip with anything :)

well that pretty much sells me. Uni 1+ was a a favorite for me, but the fact that Eurodyne runs a lower torque file for that stage is tempting.

Anyone have the dyno numbers on this so I can be sure? Can't seem to get them.