GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Vinyl roof wrap

PENROSE

Go Kart Champion
Stopped by a shop that wraps cars today and got a quote to wrap the back half of my roof (I have sunroof) including the top of my rear roof spoiler in gloss black

$290

They're only concern was my antenna....which I said I could probably remove before hand

1) Is this a good price? Or for that price should I make them work around the antenna (is that even possible?)

2) How hard is it to remove/replace antenna? How long would that take to do and are there any videos on how to do it (I couldn't find one)

Thanks

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion

PENROSE

Go Kart Champion
Do it yourself. That's a rip off. The amount of film needed for the roof is only like $40-50 bucks using Avery or 3M. The antenna removal is one bolt.

Let's just say I will not do it myself....mostly because I've never done it before and I want it done right

This is not being done in some kids garage down the street from me. This is being done by people who do this daily.....for a living. They make custom wraps and wrap entire vehicles.

I understand this will be a cake job for them. But with all that said....

Is this price around the going rate?

I also talked to a guy who said he would paint it for around $200-$250....but he seemed a little sketchy to me haha and if he fucks it up.....paint is not reversible you know

Navi

Autocross Champion
I never did it before and it came out be eternal than most shops. Just do some research and watch some videos. It's a really simple process esp on a flat surface such as the roof. But if you want to pay I thought the going price for the roof was around $200

And just so you know, the people that do this for a living started in some garage down the block.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I think $290 not bad if that includes film cost. You can do yourself but keep in mind the more one does it the better they get. So shops have experience. My shop also uses adhesion promoter on edges. If you do it buy knife less tape.

Clubsport black roof from factory. Paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
thats cheaper than every place around here. Ive heard as high as 375... im in the wrong freakin business if thats what they can get away with charging...

amlmkv1

Ready to race!
thats cheaper than every place around here. Ive heard as high as 375... im in the wrong freakin business if thats what they can get away with charging...

If it makes any of you feel better I paid $450ish back in 2010-11 to wrap the roof on wife's MKV. Very reputable company and the wrap still looked good when we got rid of the car last Sept. I did get quotes for cheaper but seeing Ferrari's and Bentley's being wrapped while getting the quote kind of assured me that they did quality work :D

Whispaz

Passed Driver's Ed
I think $280 a bit much for just the back half. For a mk7 I would typically charge around $300 for a full roof.

www.eastcoastautostyling.com
www.instagram.com/eastcoastautostyling
www.facebook.com/eastcoastautostyling

This is a mk7 GTI i did just the other day. When I first started wrapping I would remove the antenna but stopped doing it to save myself the time and energy.
It's not difficult to remove but will slightly bend/crease the headliner unless you drop it enough to avoid that which is a lot more work.

For this one the antenna was not removed.

Last edited:

TheGreekFreak

Go Kart Champion
I think $280 a bit much for just the back half. For a mk7 I would typically charge around $300 for a full roof.

www.eastcoastautostyling.com
www.instagram.com/eastcoastautostyling
www.facebook.com/eastcoastautostyling

This is a mk7 GTI i did just the other day. When I first started wrapping I would remove the antenna but stopped doing it to save myself the time and energy.
It's not difficult to remove but will slightly bend/crease the headliner unless you drop it enough to avoid that which is a lot more work.

For this one the antenna was not removed.

That looks familiar! Haven't had a chance to post pics yet but you beat me to it. Whispaz did an awesome job, very happy with how it came out.

Anyone in the area looking to get vinyl wrap, go with ECAS. You won't regret it, he's a good dude.

HetfieldInc

Ready to race!
Question that I haven’t seen answered anywhere. How tight do you tighten the antenna back down? Do you torque it to a certain level or just hand tight?
Want to make sure I don’t get any roof leaks

DSC808

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE MT
To the German spec of "Gutentight".