GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

LIGHTWEIGHT Wheels

Navi

Autocross Champion
Looking forward to this! These are still at the top of my list in 18x9 et45. They look great in the 8.5" too!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I already posted pics mounted in two other threads if I remember correctly. I wanted the 9 width bc they have the m face which is concave but I didn't want running :/ so I w nt with 8.5 with the f face

tpk

Another car with Konig Rennforms. 17x8 et45, Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 2 225/4517 94Y.

GSW 4Motion, lowered on Eibach Pro Kit, Audi rear pads, R rsb.

Had these for sale, wanted more contrast between wheel and tire, but changed my mind and they're growing on me!

Sunshine pic from parking at work:

B95zP

Ready to race!
Another car with Konig Rennforms. 17x8 et45, Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 2 225/4517 94Y.

GSW 4Motion, lowered on Eibach Pro Kit, Audi rear pads, R rsb.

Had these for sale, wanted more contrast between wheel and tire, but changed my mind and they're growing on me!

Great looking combination!

lv2bll54

Passed Driver's Ed
Lots of great setups and information on here! Does anyone know is the Konig Rennform or Hypergram 17" will clear the PP brakes? There have been some 17" posts above but appear to be non-PP cars. Thanks.

I can assume both, even though i know for a fact that the hypergrams won't fit unless you use a spacer in front, i just bought some and it touches slightly so i'm getting a 5mm spacer to give the brakes some room

falkdal

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but is there a threshold for lightweight wheels where they become unsuitable for daily driver that needs to handle regular freeway/city driving abuse? I need new wheels because my OEM Austin's are rashed beyond repair, and I'd like to save some weight/improve performance while I'm at it rather than replacing them with the same OEM wheel. I want to find a happy medium where I can shed some weight but they'll be sturdy enough to survive the long haul. This car won't be tracked, it's my daily driver.

For instance looking at Enkei Raijin or TS-10 which are around 20lb, or the VW Rotary or Motorsport wheels which are 23lb. Obviously the VW wheels will work, but the Enkei's are cheaper and look nicer. Thoughts?

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Sorry if this has been discussed before, but is there a threshold for lightweight wheels where they become unsuitable for daily driver that needs to handle regular freeway/city driving abuse? I need new wheels because my OEM Austin's are rashed beyond repair, and I'd like to save some weight/improve performance while I'm at it rather than replacing them with the same OEM wheel. I want to find a happy medium where I can shed some weight but they'll be sturdy enough to survive the long haul. This car won't be tracked, it's my daily driver.

For instance looking at Enkei Raijin or TS-10 which are around 20lb, or the VW Rotary or Motorsport wheels which are 23lb. Obviously the VW wheels will work, but the Enkei's are cheaper and look nicer. Thoughts?

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Any wheel you consider should be VIA/JWL approved, meaning it meets or exceeds safety standards from those bodies. Beyond that you'd have to test each wheel and consider the metals used, the manufacturing process, the stress/load testing and considerations each manufacturer tests for. Even then it's a moving target and bad things can happen to even the best wheels.

If you're looking at cast wheels, my advice has always been the same. Buy a wheel that matches your needs from a known brand. Enkei, Konig, TSW, VMR, Neuspeed, etc. all make good quality budget friendly cast wheels that have been used on the street and track with good results, and are real companies. No way to go wrong there.

It's when you buy a cheap wheel from an off brand on eBay for $400 a set that you have a wheel grenade on a pot hole and have no real company to support you.

IMO the difference between a good wheel and a junk wheel taking a hit on the street is that the good wheel will bend and can be repaired (no cracks/fractures/structural issues) and a bad wheel will be toast.

normcaldwell

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks for quick response and agree with your advice. Also need to consider TPMS compatibility. Time to do some research!

The MK7 GTI uses ABS info to measure wheel rotation and report for TPMS use.
The wheels have regular valve stems; vs the ones that have a capacity to measure pressure and send a signal to the TPMS system.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
The MK7 GTI uses ABS info to measure wheel rotation and report for TPMS use.
The wheels have regular valve stems; vs the ones that have a capacity to measure pressure and send a signal to the TPMS system.

This is correct, no TPMS sensors to worry about.