GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best helmet for a beginner..?

CharmedL1fe

Passed Driver's Ed
First off, I attempted a search and came up with nothing, so I apologize if this has already been covered.

I'm looking to start participating in open track days from time to time throughout the summer. SNELL 2005 or newer helmets being a requirement, my question is: Which brand/model offers the best cost to comfort value? I don't really mind spending on quality, I just don't need to overspend. Any suggestions from people with experience in this is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SRoads

Ready to race!
Last edited:

CharmedL1fe

Passed Driver's Ed
https://www.saferacer.com/collections/auto-racing-helmets/sa2015?sort_by=price-ascending

I used to do 2-3 HDPE and 3-4 autocross events a year just for fun. I bought a cheap ZAMP from saferacer and it has been comfortable enough with the required SNELL rating. If your only doing it a few times go cheaper. If you plan to increase your frequency spend more money(ie monthly instead of seasonally). Do what makes economic sense.

Right on. Thanks for the link, I'll look into it.

For the time being, money only allows me a couple of track days a year, and I'm not sure how much time will go by before I can increase my track time. So, I'll heed your advice about staying on the lower cost end of the spectrum. I do appreciate the input from someone with a little experience in the matter though, thanks again.

edge04

Ready to race!
something to think about, if you are running with an instructor an open face is easier to hear with and even makes using a communication system easier

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
According to some people an open face is safer in an airbag deployment.

Don't buy a 2005 Snell. I'd recommend a Snell SA-2015 rated helmet. The Snell 2005 is soon to be no longer accepted. When that happens you will be buying another helmet.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
SA2010 can save you some money, but for track stuff they tend to expire the certs quicker than say, autoX(currently the oldest stuff you can use for SCCA AutoX stuff is 2005 spec, last year it was 2000).

If I'd buy now I'd definitely get a SA2015 stuff though.

CharmedL1fe

Passed Driver's Ed
An SA2015 with an open face seems to be the consensus for the best way to start out. You guys are awesome, thank you.

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
Unfortunately, many of the Zamp are sold out.
I would highly suggest looking at the HJC AR-10 III. I had an SI12 for 10 years and it was a nice light weight helmet. Lighter weight will help with your neck fatigue in the long run. Also, I would go white rather than black. Anything to help keep you "cooler" will make you more comfortable. Black absorbs the heat and will cook your head. Both of my buddies that had black helmets prior are now running silver.

I just picked up this puppy from Roux R-1 Composite helmet. Of course, I'm using it for endurance racing and the integrated electronics is a big help.
I was going to order a Stilo until I saw the Roux. Basically the same helmet for $500 less.
http://www.ogracing.com/roux-r-1-composite-sa2015-helmet

AR11

Ready to race!
I have the HJC AR-10 II as do many of the other newer drivers I see at events. I bought it mostly for price -- it just didn't seem worth it to go all out on the HPDE helmet. I've spent big on motorcycle helmets so I know what I'm missing but for 20 minute sessions seated in an upright position I really don't feel much fatigue or excessive heat.

If you're a bigger guy/gal you might appreciate the ease of an open face helmet (goes on/off more easily while inside the car).

PRO TIP: Flip your headrests around so that you have more clearance for the helmet otherwise your headrest will restrict your ability to sit upright comfortably. To fully remove the headrest you need to depress both the obvious external button as well as a button under the seat fabric on the other prong (feel around for it).

rexneffect

Ready to race!
PRO TIP: Flip your headrests around so that you have more clearance for the helmet otherwise your headrest will restrict your ability to sit upright comfortably. To fully remove the headrest you need to depress both the obvious external button as well as a button under the seat fabric on the other prong (feel around for it).
THIS. you can use your fingernail, but a little screwdriver would be easier and less painful. Don't drive like that without a helmet, though, as the backside of the headrest is not designed to protect your head in an impact.