GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sign Assist

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
Tricky one to answer definitely.

Allegedly, the minimum hardware requirements are Lane Assist and Discover Nav Pro. Even then, some cars have arrived with both these options and no Traffic Sign Recognition, whereas a couple have ?

So honest I don't know what the problem is here in the UK, as certainly in Germany (and I work for a German company), it's a no brainer and so long as the above 2 requirements are met, it just works out of the box ?

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Tricky one to answer definitely.

Allegedly, the minimum hardware requirements are Lane Assist and Discover Nav Pro. Even then, some cars have arrived with both these options and no Traffic Sign Recognition, whereas a couple have ?

So honest I don't know what the problem is here in the UK, as certainly in Germany (and I work for a German company), it's a no brainer and so long as the above 2 requirements are met, it just works out of the box ?

Ah cheers for the reply, I suspect you don't have it on the GTD then? I'm sure much earlier in the year I read it was a standard ish feature , I'm itching to collect my car now (have this feeling I could have collected it today :mad: )

GTI-7-Performance

Ready to race!
I have a Swiss spec GTI Perf on order. Here Sign Assist is part of the Lane Assist pack which also includes Dynamic Light assist. This is CHF 750 (about £520)...

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
What's odd , now that I have picked mine up (DNS option) on the split screen part of the nav, there is a traffic sign selection, but it appears it gives you the speed limit for the road you are on (well that's all I have noticed so far) .

Stripey

Ready to race!
Yes, i read somewhere it gets the speed limits from the sat nav map data. If you keep an eye on it, it is very accurate & changes as soon as you pass a speed limit sign of a different limit. That said, there are also roads where it doesnt know what the speed limit is (doesnt display any sign) or it uses old data and may not be up to date where limits may have changed recently (displays wrong sign).

Still, quite a handy feature.

GTI-7-Performance

Ready to race!

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
It's a weird one to be sure. Yes, on Nav Pro, it can show the speed limit (where known) for the road you are currently travelling on, via it's stored Nav database (nothing to do with sign recognition). It's a pity these signs can't be translated across to the MFD like on the "proper" Traffic Sign Recognition (TSR), as it would then be in your line of sight and you wouldn't have to look across at the Nav screen. It would also make use of the colour MFD screen which at present it prettymuch displaying everything in greyscale, so It would be nice to have a little spash of colour !

TBH, I'm totally bamboozled as to why TSR seems pretty much standard on the continent when ordering Lane assist (you must have the "A5" camera installed at the top of the windscreen), but in the UK it's pretty much hit and miss ?

If it was that the system wasn't calibrated for looking at signs on the left (rather than the right) I could sort of understand it. However, its' been reported on various forums that some GT's with Nav Pro and Lane Assist have come with TSR active yet most haven't. Why in gods name Lane assist isn't even available on the GTD and GTI in the first place is another mystery, as it's selectable elsewhere.

At the time when I ordered it (to have it removed later), VW UK said it was something to do with incompatibility of the A5 camera with the Xenon headlights, which is bull, as the headlights when specc'ed on a GT or SE etc. are exactly the same units, so what exactly is the problem ? I doubt VW even know.

Mark V1

Go Kart Champion
Lane Assist - I always wondered if it actually steers the car rather than just sends a warning beep if you start to wander out of lane - clearly it does! So in combination with ACC you just waft along the motorway without the need to worry about throttle brakes or steering!!!

Last edited:

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
Within limitations though Mark. It has to be able to identify the markings, so in heavy rain, fog etc. the system will struggle or not work at all.

But basically yes, it will follow the course as determined by the A5 camera at the top of the windscreen, which you can override by turning the steering wheel a little firmer than you would normally. However if you indicate first, the system knows you will change lanes and lets you do so without any resistance.

kevinm1

Ready to race!
@Sootchucker: VW UK were kind of telling the truth. If they try to spec the DLA with xenons it will say not compatible. There are 2 types of xenons with led running lights:
PXB: These are the xenons that are standard on uk gti's/gtd's. These are not compatible with DLA so the computer would have said no when VW UK tried to spec it.
PXD: these are xenons with led running lights with DLA. These are what has to be specced to get DLA.

I had the same issue with vw Ireland. They told me I couldn't get DLA. When I pushed them they checked with the factory that came back and said DLA can only be specced with xenons for DLA. The factory then "released" option PXD for Irish spec cars. I was copied on the emails between vw Ireland and the factory.

kevinm1

Ready to race!
Ok so i dug a little deeper on this TSR. Here are the option codes:

PFA: Lane and light assist. No TSR
PFG: Lane and light assist and TSR. Only with Pro Nav. Same price as PFA
PFB: Lane and Dynamic light assist. No TSR
PFH Lane and dynamic light assist and TSR. Only with Pro Nav. Same price as PFB

So it looks like the difference in spec is down to which option the dealer chooses when ordering the car. My car has PFB. I have just asked the dealer to see if it can be changed to PFH.

The fact that it is the same price suggests that there is no hardware difference to get TSR. I wonder if it is just a coding tweak?

kevinm1

Ready to race!
Ok so i dug a little deeper on this TSR. Here are the option codes:

PFA: Lane and light assist. No TSR
PFG: Lane and light assist and TSR. Only with Pro Nav. Same price as PFA
PFB: Lane and Dynamic light assist. No TSR
PFH Lane and dynamic light assist and TSR. Only with Pro Nav. Same price as PFB

So it looks like the difference in spec is down to which option the dealer chooses when ordering the car. My car has PFB. I have just asked the dealer to see if it can be changed to PFH.

The fact that it is the same price suggests that there is no hardware difference to get TSR. I wonder if it is just a coding tweak?

My dealer came back to me today. The factory had automatically changed my spec from PFB to PFH as I had also specced Discover Pro. So I will have TSR.