GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

BMS JB4 R specific thread

rscott4563

Ready to race!
From map 1 jump to map 2 next if you on 93.

We busy getting CARB and 50 State approval and NLS is one of the things we cannot add to the unit. I have seen some stand alone systems being used but a few cars have popped intake manifolds with it.

George, quick question regarding the proposed CARB/50 State approval.

As this is obviously going to introduce a lot of restrictions as to what you can and can't add to the JB4 in terms of additional functionality going forward and it's only applicable to approximately 4.4% of the world's population are you/BMS going to be developing additional functionality/features that would only be applicable to the other 95.6% of the world?

I'd hate to think that the entirety of the European, South American, African, Asian and Australasian markets would be limited by what is required by CARB?

I'm thinking CEL Auto Clear, Throttle Response Adjustment, Autotune, FlexFuel, NLS etc.

If you could provide a bit of clarification on this it would be much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

kornsined

Go Kart Newbie
Why not make a seperate model that passes carb certification with less features?

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
George, quick question regarding the proposed CARB/50 State approval.

As this is obviously going to introduce a lot of restrictions as to what you can and can't add to the JB4 in terms of additional functionality going forward and it's only applicable to approximately 4.4% of the world's population are you/BMS going to be developing additional functionality/features that would only be applicable to the other 95.6% of the world?

I'd hate to think that the entirety of the European, South American, African, Asian and Australasian markets would be limited by what is required by CARB?

I'm thinking CEL Auto Clear, Throttle Response Adjustment, Autotune, FlexFuel, NLS etc.

If you could provide a bit of clarification on this it would be much appreciated.

Development will carry on. The VW units are the least impacted and we are already have trials running on region recognition on the user interface. The international market is probably bigger than the US.

Last edited:

rscott4563

Ready to race!
Development will carry on. The VW units are the least impacted and we are already have trials running on region recognition on the user interface. The international market is probably bigger than the US.

Thanks George that's good to know, I'd hate to think the rest of the international market was going to be hobbled just because of the restrictions of one country.

Surely it would just be as simple as having region specific firmware available??

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Thanks George that's good to know, I'd hate to think the rest of the international market was going to be hobbled just because of the restrictions of one country.

Surely it would just be as simple as having region specific firmware available??

On some units we blocking the firmware and others we blocking the ability to change certain settings. This does not affect the VW JB4 as we have prepared for this prior to release. By the looks of things the autoclear will need to be removed for the US.

ronn

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 R (Sold)
I installed the jb4 this week but did not tap into afr wire.
What can I expect from leaving things as is on map1 vs. Getting the data cable and sending logs for tweaking? Is this essential for engine longevity?

Also, I've been running Shell 91 since I drove it off the dealer lot. If I switch to say 93 or 94oct, will the jb4 self adjust? Will there be a noticeable difference?

Thanks

translux

Ready to race!
I installed the jb4 this week but did not tap into afr wire.

What can I expect from leaving things as is on map1 vs. Getting the data cable and sending logs for tweaking? Is this essential for engine longevity?

Also, I've been running Shell 91 since I drove it off the dealer lot. If I switch to say 93 or 94oct, will the jb4 self adjust? Will there be a noticeable difference?

Thanks

Why not tap the afr? If you're worried about a warranty then I'd stay stock.

You've been running 91 in and R? If you only have access to 91 I understand but if you have 93 you've really been doing yourself and your motor a disservice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rr1santos

Ready to race!
Why not tap the afr? If you're worried about a warranty then I'd stay stock.

You've been running 91 in and R? If you only have access to 91 I understand but if you have 93 you've really been doing yourself and your motor a disservice.

I live in San Diego and new only have access to 91..guess I'm doing my car a disservice [emoji849]

translux

Ready to race!
I live in San Diego and new only have access to 91..guess I'm doing my car a disservice [emoji849]

I'd trade higher octane to live in CA again.

You may already know this but taping the blue wire provides better control over AFR-air fuel ratio. The goal is to get close to a balance of air/fuel for a complete combustion event. The alternatives are running rich-too much fuel, or lean-not enough fuel. Lean is bad as it increases the likelihood of detonation/knock or worse.

It's worth noting that octane has no direct effect on AFR.

Also FI motors run on the rich side due to increased air density resulting in increased cylinder pressure thus increasing the probability of knock.

If I'm off on anything please correct.

rr1santos

Ready to race!
ca 91 is not the best but i'll take living in San Diego over higher octane anyday LOL.

yeah totally understand tapping the wire for AFR.

nah you're spot on bro. i was just wondering about how much of a disservice i was doing.

I know in the bay they have 93 at a couple pumps but who knows if it really is 93 lol. I found a 100oct pump here in San Diego, but don't really justify 8$/gal at the moment as this is my daily.

racerboy55

Passed Driver's Ed
I previously used additive map but during summer have been using absolute map due to higher temps.

Regarding boost failsafe limit - wouldn't it be smarter if failsafe limit was actually guiding max boost that jb4 allowes? Meaning that user could use additive map, but failsafe would limit actual boost to desired absolute value. This way the benefits of additive map could be used, in addition that jb4 would still control max boost that user would get.

Previously when I used additive map (+6.5psi), car requested 27PSI and dropped it to limp mode because boost safe was set to 24psi.

It would be better if jb4 had limited max boost to 24psi and not dropped system to failsafe (to map4). Comments?

translux

Ready to race!
ca 91 is not the best but i'll take living in San Diego over higher octane anyday LOL.

yeah totally understand tapping the wire for AFR.

nah you're spot on bro. i was just wondering about how much of a disservice i was doing.

I know in the bay they have 93 at a couple pumps but who knows if it really is 93 lol. I found a 100oct pump here in San Diego, but don't really justify 8$/gal at the moment as this is my daily.

Any E85 close by?
You could do a blend.

rr1santos

Ready to race!
Any E85 close by?
You could do a blend.

yeah there is e85. I do it every now and then lol 3gal e85 rest 91

nate704

Go Kart Champion
I just installed the JB4 with Bluetooth kit. Set it up with Map 2 and have been logging since.
My question is that what is the most ideal setup in terms of car settings go for the logging?

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie