GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Shifty business

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
So, I'm getting ready to do my first mod, nothing dramatic (the car has all the power I need, really), just a Dieselgeek short shift kit and a Raceseng Topology shift knob. I've watched quite a few videos, and read over the instructions for both, and by the time stuff arrives (Saturday or so) I will make sure I have all the tools assembled in the right spot (that means rummaging in the garage and maybe a trip to Loews).

Anyone done this stuff recently on a Mk7 (mine is a '16, base model)? Any specific gotchas to watch for, or tips that might help out? I haven't done anything other than an oil change (and that was a while ago on an Acura) since, um, the 1970s, when we used to replace parts on my friend's Mustang II and my Dodge Aspen quite regularly (out of necessity, not desire).

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
It was such a PITA to get that lever to release from the shaft. I had to come back to the car a couple of times as I couldn't get myself to just use a lever underneath to pop it up, but eventually had to do that. Other than that, it was really easy to do the SS install and the only other minor troublesome thing was getting that damn neutral locking pin in the right spot.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for the info! The videos are, taken together, pretty clear, and it does seem like each car is slightly different in terms of how smoothly everything goes. But I plan to take it easy and not rush anything.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Well, it's raining this entire weekend according to the forecast so even if my kit arrives today or tomorrow I probably won't get to it until next week. I really want daylight to do it, as my garage lights are not terribly illuminating.

Tone1

Ready to race!
Don't overtorque that nut when it's going back on, can snap the shaft, hand tighten and maybe just a 1/4 turn

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Got the kits today. Installed the Raceseng shift knob (still need a longer 3/8 ratchet extension before I do the shift kit). The Topology knob feels pretty great. But now it makes my shift boot look dowdy! I've looked around and haven't found too many improved (as in, leather, good looking, etc.) replacement shift boots that aren't tied to a specific knob (like BFI's). Any ideas?

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
For anyone interested, finally got the Dieselgeek Sigma short-shift kit installed. The process was...exhausting, I think is the best way to describe it. Mostly because of my inexperience and initial lack of the exact tools I needed.

The product itself is very nicely built, and seems to work as advertised. Shifts now are very precise, short, and engage with a satisfying thunk. Takes some getting used to, particularly paired with the heavy knob I also installed, but in a good way.

Getting to that point, oy. First off, the instructions, while pretty detailed, are somewhat out of date. The PDF that you download, for instance, shows white plastic bushings, but my unit had gray plastic, almost a teflon-like texture and rather thinner, bushings. Not a big deal, but it took me a minute to figure it out because the gray color blended in a bit and I was looking for thicker, white bushings. Second, the PDF references models up to like 2012 or so, and nothing thereafter; clearly they have not updated it to the Mk 7 platform, though I don't think there's that much difference. For a newbie, though, it's a bit disconcerting to have to extrapolate a bit. Third, the videos, which while also dated are quite helpful, have some different info than the PDF (for instance, the PDF says tighten one Allen bolt at a particular time, the video says do two). Nothing major, but again a bit disconcerting to the inexperienced.

And I don't know how different an R is inside the engine bay from the TDI they did their videos for, but man, there is nowhere near enough clearance in there to get in a full size 3/8" socket wrench with the Allen bit attachment. I had to buy a small right-angle ratchet to get the job done. Even then, the space was tight, tight, tight, and my arms are beat to hell now. As is my back, as that position is not something this college professor is used to adopting!

I had some hiccups, mostly because until I got the right-angle ratchet I wasn't able to tighten the Allen screws well enough, and the car wouldn't get into gear. Once I went back through the adjustment process again, and really tightened up the bolts with the small ratchet until a credit card just fit, it was golden.

Oh, another small thing. The Mk 7 R has a rubbery sound insulating later under the shift boot. While in some videos it seems you can take this out, my attempt immediately started a small tear, so I stopped. It simply wasn't coming out except in pieces. The work around is not hard--you just poke the 5mm bent metal thingy through the rubber at the spot marking where the adjustment holes are, and fiddle around until you get it in both holes. It locks down fine then.

So, overall, would I do it again? Dunno. The result is good--I like the way the car shifts better. For an inexperienced person, the install was more stressful than I really wanted, because really, once you are in there and get the original shifter out, you are kind of on the hook. If you can't get it to work, the car ain't going anywhere. But I'm glad I did it anyhow. Learned a lot about how stuff works at least.

Oh, and to whomever mentioned that $#*&% lever you have to lift off, yes, yes, that sucked hard. I had to go out in my wife's car to get a battery terminal puller to get that sucker off. Oh man, that was not fun at all.

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
Oh, another small thing. The Mk 7 R has a rubbery sound insulating later under the shift boot. While in some videos it seems you can take this out, my attempt immediately started a small tear, so I stopped. It simply wasn't coming out except in pieces.

Oh, and to whomever mentioned that $#*&% lever you have to lift off, yes, yes, that sucked hard.

Lol, told you that lever is a PITA. What a bitch that was.

I ended up just tearing the insulator boot under the shifter. I got fed up after thinking i had the pin inserted properly, twice, just to do my adjustments in the engine bay and come back to a shifter that wouldn't move. That, combined with the lever frustration got the best of my hyperactivity/anger/buzz, so I said to hell with it.

Glad you got it all worked out!

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
Lol, told you that lever is a PITA. What a bitch that was.

I ended up just tearing the insulator boot under the shifter. I got fed up after thinking i had the pin inserted properly, twice, just to do my adjustments in the engine bay and come back to a shifter that wouldn't move. That, combined with the lever frustration got the best of my hyperactivity/anger/buzz, so I said to hell with it.

Glad you got it all worked out!

Yeah, I hear you, thanks. I didn't have that much trouble finding the holes for the inside adjustment, but the Allen screws were so damn hard to get to in the engine bay. Whew.

But driving it around today it sure feels a lot tighter, more like the car should feel IMO.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
I also went ahead and put in a Burger clutch stop--it was like ten bucks shipped. Man, this little doohicky makes a difference! Really improves the feel of the clutch, and it's so simple even I can't mess it up!

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
I also went ahead and put in a Burger clutch stop--it was like ten bucks shipped. Man, this little doohicky makes a difference! Really improves the feel of the clutch, and it's so simple even I can't mess it up!

Awesome man, glad you're enjoying it!