GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Where's the Cobb AP for the R?

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Back in 2011 when I had an 11 Sti, the dyno tuners, pro tuners I used literally laughed when anyone asked about running off the shelf Cobb files, I sent that particular tuner allot of business I'm sure because after smoking other similarly modded sti's that were running Cobb of the shelf tunes, always asked what tune I was running and inevitably the next time I saw them they had dumped the Cobb tune.

Personally, I think Cobb and dumb kids are responsible for the majority of ring land issues. There are way better options out there, even those stupid signal modifiers are better than Cobb on any platform in my experience and opinion. Seriously spend somewhere, anywhere else!

translux

Ready to race!
Back in 2011 when I had an 11 Sti, the dyno tuners, pro tuners I used literally laughed when anyone asked about running off the shelf Cobb files, I sent that particular tuner allot of business I'm sure because after smoking other similarly modded sti's that were running Cobb of the shelf tunes, always asked what tune I was running and inevitably the next time I saw them they had dumped the Cobb tune.

Personally, I think Cobb and dumb kids are responsible for the majority of ring land issues. There are way better options out there, even those stupid signal modifiers are better than Cobb on any platform in my experience and opinion. Seriously spend somewhere, anywhere else!

Are there other options for dyno tuning the R? This was my plan for using the Cobb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Are there other options for dyno tuning the R? This was my plan for using the Cobb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sadly on this platform it's basically all canned tunes or signal modifiers, unless you live close to one of the UM, APR etc main shops, it is very different than the subie, gm, ford, dodge guys are used to, basically a canned tune and you can usually datalog and email back n forth or some guys stack a tune with one of those signal modifiers to tweak stuff. Basically most are just running off the shelf tunes.

It is weird, if you are used to going damn near anywhere for an actual dyno tuning on your specific car, mods, gas, some cars are just stronger or able to take more timing than others, the "factory freak" holy grail isn't able to be maximized or realized as easily on this platform as basically nobody is actually tuning on the dyno they're just seeing what she throws down on whatever tune is loaded. Basically nobody is loading a base file then tweaking for your specific car/mods on the dyno as in the Subaru, gm, ford ect world.

I gotta say though, the canned tunes are very good though, in my experience on this platform. Just pick one of the bigger names, I'm a fan of UM, but APR is good to, I have no experience with any others and am not a fan of these signal modifiers but some swear by them, but usually if those guys get an actual tune they are forever converted also.

Ungluck

Passed Driver's Ed
Sadly on this platform it's basically all canned tunes or signal modifiers, unless you live close to one of the UM, APR etc main shops, it is very different than the subie, gm, ford, dodge guys are used to, basically a canned tune and you can usually datalog and email back n forth or some guys stack a tune with one of those signal modifiers to tweak stuff. Basically most are just running off the shelf tunes.

It is weird, if you are used to going damn near anywhere for an actual dyno tuning on your specific car, mods, gas, some cars are just stronger or able to take more timing than others, the "factory freak" holy grail isn't able to be maximized or realized as easily on this platform as basically nobody is actually tuning on the dyno they're just seeing what she throws down on whatever tune is loaded. Basically nobody is loading a base file then tweaking for your specific car/mods on the dyno as in the Subaru, gm, ford ect world.

I gotta say though, the canned tunes are very good though, in my experience on this platform. Just pick one of the bigger names, I'm a fan of UM, but APR is good to, I have no experience with any others and am not a fan of these signal modifiers but some swear by them, but usually if those guys get an actual tune they are forever converted also.
This

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Nice, but I assumed you/or org. Op were talking about off the shelf maps. The dyno tuner is just using the Cobb to load HIS tune into the car. Which is great, I'd never run an off the shelf Cobb map. I had way to much experience seeing how awful they were when I had an sti, and I only had a Cobb so the tuner jr could load his tune, as he dyno'd my car, and modifications in my car through the Cobb. They're canned tunes are awful, which was amazing as not much has changed on the sti in what 13-14 years and its still iffy. My point was, for off the shelf maps, UM, apr, uni etc are all better choices than Cobb on vw/audi's

Ungluck

Passed Driver's Ed
fuck off the shelf. I hope to provide some maps for people, in sure other shops will too. already great tunes coming out for the gti's from 3rd party tuners using the AP

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
fuck off the shelf. I hope to provide some maps for people, in sure other shops will too. already great tunes coming out for the gti's from 3rd party tuners using the AP

Agreed, and agreed !

Rodcollier1

Ready to race!
I bought a Cobb AP tuner for my wife's '14 WRX and took it to TopSpeed Motorsports in Alpharetta GA for fine tuning and they blew up the motor on the first pull. Ring failure they blamed it on, and Subaru didn't stand behind it because they could tell it was tuned even though it was removed. $8k it cost me! Sold the POS WRX and POS Tuner on eBay to another sucker.

'16 MK7 R Manual
Uni 2, JB4, DP, CTS

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Sounds more like the actual dyno, "pro" tuner, not that I'm defending ots cobb canned tunes, or Subaru's

Subies had their day, like 10-12 years ago! Unless you're ripping up a mountain on a gravel sometimes snow covered road, on pavement with "lite" mods, pass until they actually spend $$$ on the Sti motor and up the hp to at least 400. 300hp awd was awesome when mustangs were 260 and vettes were 350hp. They really have been dragging there feet the last 10-12 years, I guess people keep buying it, why change.

iTsLiKeAnEgG

Ready to race!
Sounds more like the actual dyno, "pro" tuner, not that I'm defending ots cobb canned tunes, or Subaru's

Subies had their day, like 10-12 years ago! Unless you're ripping up a mountain on a gravel sometimes snow covered road, on pavement with "lite" mods, pass until they actually spend $$$ on the Sti motor and up the hp to at least 400. 300hp awd was awesome when mustangs were 260 and vettes were 350hp. They really have been dragging there feet the last 10-12 years, I guess people keep buying it, why change.

I find irony in your statement given the R's factory output but I understand the R is a much nicer car in terms of build.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Stage 2 sti's arent running in the 11s

And they've had 14 years to do so in the states

Noize1

Ready to race!
Stage 2 sti's arent running in the 11s

And they've had 14 years to do so in the states

I feel this, but it's not apples to apples. The GTI and R wouldn't have a chance if it weren't for the DSG at the bolt ons + tune stock turbo level. Dub S2 manuals are 12 second slow-sauce.