GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Foglight trim

lou06483

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Audi and VW
Guys- Simply remove the front bumper cover....I did this to install my HID headlights---not a big deal----The attached video shows,in detail, how to do this....
The cover is very light and can be removed without assistance---just be careful not to stress the wiring for the fog lights...once removed use the information noted in the VORTEX post and remove the fog light assembly....
Give it a shot---easy job!
bumper removal video-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLKydAgQbOM&list=PLtqrNCuhkOk51NQanJIMuYihyUhGN_EZx&index=13

Last edited:

Tucker3381

Ready to race!
As someone who just replaced his bumper, I would recommend unscrewing the foglights from the support brace behind the bumper. You run the risk of damaging too many things trying to remove the fins, including said brace and the clips holding the trim/fins to the bumper.

There are 2 screws holding the foglight to the brace. Once those are out, slide the foglight up then out of the brace to remove it.

This is the brace that holds the foglight to the bumper: https://deutscheautoparts.com/make-...sent/exterior/front-bumper/5gm-807-723-a.html

thez99

Go Kart Champion
Ok, so I bought another set of yellow lamin-x for my foglights, and this time, I simply used water on the lens and the lamin-x while applying and got the job done in 15 minutes of minimal swearing. They look sweet, I don't get what these people are saying about "greenish" hue after switching to yellow, yes the light is powerful, but I see yellow and it looks good

MkVIIGTD

Ok, so I bought another set of yellow lamin-x for my foglights, and this time, I simply used water on the lens and the lamin-x while applying and got the job done in 15 minutes of minimal swearing. They look sweet, I don't get what these people are saying about "greenish" hue after switching to yellow, yes the light is powerful, but I see yellow and it looks good

Do you have a photo of your car with the Lamin-X on, both with lights on and off if possible would be great.

thez99

Go Kart Champion

Valdarious

Passed Driver's Ed
I find it really messed up that VW couldn't have found an easier way of removing the headlights without taking the entire bumper off(watched the video). Removing lights on my Focus was never that time consuming.

MkVIIGTD

I find it really messed up that VW couldn't have found an easier way of removing the headlights without taking the entire bumper off(watched the video). Removing lights on my Focus was never that time consuming.

On my Volvo C30 all I had to do was open the bonnet, pull a pin and pull the headlight out and disconnect the loom. Took about 10-15 seconds in total.

@thez19, thanks for the photos

SouthbayMK7

Ready to race!
For anyone trying to do this i did it last night and it took almost 2.5 hours for me to undo all the clips by myself. after u get the bumper off there are 2 t25 torx holding the fog lights in then u slide them out and remove. then its 1 torx on either side of the fog light brace. Then comes the hard part. i removed the outer sides 1st then worked my around prying at the tabs and pulling. just be careful u CAN EASILY break the tabs, I broke 2 =/. The fog light brace comes off from be hind the bumper but the trim u see on the outside is removed from the outside once u can get the clips loose. so u pull from the outside if that makes sense. Note that the bottom lip is once piece with the lower honeycomb grille (at least on the GTI's) and its a pain. Just take ur time and use plastic trim tools and a very small flat head. Hope this helps someone out.

german160675_GTI

Small contribution from Argentina, it is not necessary to remove the front bumper to be able to dismantle the foglight and put Lamin x

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine...wer-front-fender-liner-right-side/5g0805912l/

This piece must be removed (they are 8 or 9 torx approximately) 3 inside of the passages and another 5 or 6 under the bumper

Remove the foglight (take 2 torx of 25), remove it carefully, place Lamin X and re-assemble