GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Piston Ring Issues?

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
There is some truth to this actually lol. Factory R pistons have a more shallow ringlang making them more prone to failure compared to the GTI. How many failed stg3 GTI engine have you heard of to date? I'm not saying they are failing at Subaru rates lol...I am saying that due to design, they are more prone to failure unfortunately. This has been discussed in depth on the MK7 International FB group by some big hitters within the market

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Oh, a little a detail... Do you see how that is much more conducive to meaningful conversation vs "Heard the 3rd Gens are breaking piston rings"? To answer your question now that you've actually asked it, I think the dealer is full of shit.

And are you really trying to have a dick measuring contest over who has more forum posts? :rolleyes:

I see RjRacing has a broader view from his reading ROW forums. I also believe the dealer is just trying to sell what makes him the most profit. Why should he care if I buy a boost controller from him except that he makes much less than an APR tune.

And I don't need to flout my post count over my member size. The latter is much bigger :)

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Get em Fed. Lol. Very interesting. Wonder how much is would $ to transplant a 4 motion awd into a 2 door GTI? ;).

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
There is some truth to this actually lol. Factory R pistons have a more shallow ringlang making them more prone to failure compared to the GTI. How many failed stg3 GTI engine have you heard of to date? I'm not saying they are failing at Subaru rates lol...I am saying that due to design, they are more prone to failure unfortunately. This has been discussed in depth on the MK7 International FB group by some big hitters within the market

Any theory wht VW would do this? The R engine has so many detail changes for longevity and then they go with a shallow ringland.

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
The only bottom end issues I've seen (on the forums) with this car are holes through pistons.