GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MOT advisoriy

rustyrig

Once I'd purchased the car and I pick it up and arrived home, only then I checked the MOT to see advisories on it rear brake disc's corroded and a misting on the near side front shock absorber, now that I didn't like evidence of a leak but not a leak therefore not a fail??????

I know I should have asked to look at it earlier, but after a chat with the Used Car Sales Manager at Lookers Newcastle they real went the extra mile in my opinion, today replaced both front shock absorbers and issued a new MOT, the brake disc's and pads had already been done all this at there cost.
I take my hat off to them, were alway quick to moan about bad service but rarely compliment good.
I don't live in Newcastle and have never been to the showroom before my purchase so big thanks to them highly recommended from my stance anyway

rustyrig

WP just had a read of your post I'm at a loss with this misting but not a leak, I was told there was no evidence of a leak so therefore what is it, how or what have they seen to make the comment.
To me the construction could once fitted show something until the seals are lubed up and there after nothing.
On reading about the MOT if its a advisory it more or less a given that it's be seen too prior to the next MOT.
In all honesty I have read that it's a problem with VW across the range with the supplied part sub-standard maybe, a more recommended named part would be the route I would have taken myself but as I manage the get them to replace them FOC, maybe in the future I'll change them out with a superior product.
I think it's the same with Brake disc's they could do better but then if they did that with the whole car they wouldn't need to produce spare's

wild pete

Passed Driver's Ed

This was the 2 nd damper after only 1500 miles !
On yours a slight misting but no leak seems odd , but if you had new ones for nothing that's good.
I would advise to keep checking them as quality seems poor .If mine leak again now its out of warranty I would be looking at alternative makes to fit myself

oops Cant seem to do photos

Last edited:

rustyrig

That's my next question what do people recommend for after market shock absorbers I'm thinking of changing the back one's myself, I've have read about the top support not been the best causing it rattle and bang so the top support would also be replaced.

Boof1

I have a 2.0tdi which is coming up to 4years old. I bought it in January this year, the last two MOT have reports of misting on shocks, but no leaks! Strange

rustyrig

If there is a missing surely there has to have been a leak, so a pipe joint is weeping is that not a leak ? ...............in my mind that need attention!
I think it's more about the terminology and not definition or not clarity

VW did want to just put another MOT on it ?