GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Cleaning Plastic parts in engine bay

jayrm14

Passed Driver's Ed
Anyone have any recommendations on cleaning the plastic bits in the engine bay? Specifically the black boxy plastic on top of the engine. Being in the northeast it seems to have collected a lot of sand from the winter.

I was thinking some type of course brush attachment for the vacuum may work well. I'd prefer not spray the engine with anything if at all possible, just not comfortable with it.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jayrm14

Passed Driver's Ed
Sorry should have been more clear, not the engine cover but the boxy plastic to the front of it.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
The air filter housing lid? If so, take it off and wash it.

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
Buy front engine cover.

If you do not want to hose down you could just spray with a cleaner like 1Z. Then use a detailers brush to scrub some. Wipe off. If you have an air tank, you could blow out the corners also when wet. Electrical cleaner also helps with tight areas and dries quick.
303 cleaner is good in engine to give the black parts a little gloss.

I have washed mine. Low water flow to rinse. Then use my Chemical Guys blowers to dry off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

gchen6850

Ready to race!
generally standard care would be an APC with some brushing and then rinsing it down with a hose and drying off with a towel (or blower if you have it). as long as the water is not pressurized you should be fine. feel free to disregard this comment though since you did say you weren't comfortable with rinsing it down haha just thought id mention it to anyone else who might be reading this thread

jayrm14

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks! Going to order a lower engine cover and try the 303 with a brush.

lucyfek

Ready to race!
Car(s)
GTI & GSW
I'd avoid using water in the engine bay - no reason to invite the rust (not to mention potential for electrical issue).
I used air compressor and a nozzle to blow the stuff out (tooth brush or a stick helps dislodge stubborn crud).

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!
I'd avoid using water in the engine bay - no reason to invite the rust (not to mention potential for electrical issue).
I used air compressor and a nozzle to blow the stuff out (tooth brush or a stick helps dislodge stubborn crud).

Pretty much anything in there is going to be cast aluminum.

That said, you shouldn't be blowing water into the battery/alternator.

If you're worried about rust, you can spray everything down with Ballistol (German WD-40).

https://www.amazon.com/Ballistol-Multi-Purpose-Aerosol-Lubricant-Protectant/dp/B004ERKCIA?th=1&psc=1

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Engine cover looks great. I blew out the dirt with low pressure air before installing mine.

The secret to keeping it clean is to.....never letting it get dirty!