GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

WTB: Cat back exhaust

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to purchase a cat-back exhaust for my 2016 2-door GTI.

I'm not sure if any of you are looking to sell, but I might be interested if you are!

Also, does anyone know of where to get cat-backs for a fairly good price? hottexhaust.com has some good deals but I'd like to spend a little less cash if possible.

Thanks!

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
If you have no other mods, I suggest a downpipe as the sole exhaust mod.

It actually gives power and on the stock catback it has no drone+noise level is solid.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
What's your end goal?

Performance and sound? Or just sound?

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
You're right, I don't have any other mods as of yet.

If I installed a downpipe would a tune be required? Could you suggest any downpipes?

Thanks for your feedback.

No tune required, just make sure to get a spacer to avoid the CEL light (I don't get any CEL's with mine, over 30k km's on it).

Exhaust tone is massively improved. More than loud enough for 90% of people. NO drone.

Being in Canada, I would look at CTS with a spacer or Ultimate Racing in Mississauga which sells one with a spacer built-in. That is what I run.

Cat-back is not a worthy mod for anything except noise and a lighter wallet. Gains are next to nil.

P.S., I can swap a downpipe on jackstands in less than an hour, so it isn't that bad. Easy to remove for warranty if you want.

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
I'd have to agree with the downpipe recommendation, on our MK7's the downpipe will make a good difference in sounds while adding power and reducing restriction. I'd still recommend a tune with it, but like wy2sl0 said you can run a downpipe without tune as long as you get a quality spacer. FWIW I'm running a Vibrant J spacer with the medium collector installed. If you still want it louder you could always add a catback later but it will realistically only be for sound ...maybe a 5hp increase at the crank (if you're lucky). :)

No tune required, just make sure to get a spacer to avoid the CEL light (I don't get any CEL's with mine, over 30k km's on it).

Exhaust tone is massively improved. More than loud enough for 90% of people. NO drone.

Being in Canada, I would look at CTS with a spacer or Ultimate Racing in Mississauga which sells one with a spacer built-in. That is what I run.

Cat-back is not a worthy mod for anything except noise and a lighter wallet. Gains are next to nil.

P.S., I can swap a downpipe on jackstands in less than an hour, so it isn't that bad. Easy to remove for warranty if you want.

Do you have a part # for the downpipe you purchased? There seems to be an awful lot of custom options when it comes to check out.

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
Do you have a part # for the downpipe you purchased? There seems to be an awful lot of custom options when it comes to check out.

I got the metal cat (upgraded), no resonator option with stock catback connection. :)

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all of the information, it was really helpful.

I ended up going with a magnaflow cat-back from hottexhaust.com. Maybe in a few months I'll pick up a downpipe and go stage 2!

Did you also look at tdotperformance.ca? They seemed to have the best price when I was looking a few months ago. And free shipping to Vancouver.

Installed the exhaust last night and it sounds great.

Had a bit of an issue getting the tips to be centred in the exhaust tip cut outs, but it turned out pretty good!

It sounds awesome and the shipping was very fast (less than 24hrs).

Would totally recommend hottexhaust.com and the magnaflow cat-back to anyone.

Just be sure to tighten the exhaust clamps really tight to avoid leaks!

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
I can't even imagine the drone lol.